Author Topic: FS Port Media VP 2014 keeps crashing at Weapon Loadout  (Read 1572 times)

FS Port Media VP 2014 keeps crashing at Weapon Loadout
Greetings. I've been a long time fan of the Freespace series and am new to this community. I've been eager to try out the new FS Port but am in need of technical support regarding the Media 2014 VP's. The same issues also occur using the media 3612 VP's as well.

After the loading screen finishes for the Eve of Destruction mission, the screen minimizes out to the following error message:

Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
File: window.cpp
Line: 81

After clicking on the debug button, it goes to the command briefing interface, but all of the "continue" and "option" buttons in the lower right corner do not highlight nor yield any response, leaving the game broken stuck in the command briefing.

After skipping through this mission without the Media 2014 VP's, whenever I attempt the next mission with the Media 2014 VP's, the game crashes with the following error message every time I enter the weapons loadout screen:

Error: Could not load in '2_weaponloadout-mb'!
File: missionweaponchoice.cpp
Line: 2013

Clicking debug causes the game to crash.

I installed FSO using the FreeSpaceOpenInstaller. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:07:20 pm by MachineWizard »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: FS Port Media VP 2014 keeps crashing at Weapon Loadout
That sounds like you're missing files. Either FS2 retail files or Media VPs 2014 files. Not entirely sure.

You might want to try Knossos (a combined installer / launcher) since that often seems to help new people.
If you don't want to use Knossos, please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post. That'd help us narrow down the problem.

No such file by the name fs2_open.log exists anywhere in my system...

The retail was installed from IGG games, because my CD was too scratched to read.

I may be willing to try Knossos, but another thread that pops up here in the tech support from not even a few days ago mentions it has some sort of lighting issues.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:15:38 pm by MachineWizard »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The retail was installed from IGG games, because my CD was too scratched to read.
:wtf: You can legally get the game for less than $10 from GOG.

Regarding the log, did you follow the instructions in the post I linked? You have to launch a debug build to generate the file. The post also mentions exactly where the log should be. You don't need to search for it.

The lighting issue mentioned in that other thread is unrelated to Knossos itself but rather the engine itself. The most recent versions use a different lighting model which means that old lighting presets don't work anymore and the one who posted the thread instead thought that Knossos couldn't apply the preset.

Finally, here's a thread of someone with the same issue who got the game to run after using Knossos.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:bump:

The error was caused by MV_Root.vp not being present in your mod directory.  Redownloading it, or redownloading the mod with Knossos, should fix it.