Hosted Projects - Standalone > First Contact War

[STOPPED] The First Contact War - DevLog Thread

<< < (35/39) > >>

Strygon:
Development is now proceeding at full speed. Release should be imminent.
All missions have been finished and tested, all that's left now is the VN scenes.

Strygon:
Alright, back to work after release, seems most of the major bugs have been ironed out hopefully.

Unfortunately Episode 1 didn't quite release with all the stuff I wanted. The missions, ships and weapons are fine, but what I'm seriously unhappy with is the VN aspect.
To put it short, writing is a PITA and I didn't want to hold off release just to add more words to a text file when everything else is complete, so my first step Post-EP1 is to continue working full steam on the VN Sequences and actually add the words I wanted. That said, that might take a while due to the aforementioned issue of writing being annoying and painful.

Second major thing that needs change is the art. To put it even shorter: It sucks.

Okay it maybe doesn't suck, but I look at it now and think "Jesus H. Christ, I could've done a significantly better job on those sprites, huh?"

Basically, I don't like the weird facing, lack of emotion and inconsistent shading/line thickness of the different sprites, so my second big step will be to redo all the existing VN art (the Head.ANIs are fine and will remain as-is).

Once this is done, I will be able to move on to Episode 2. That part should be easier to make compared to Episode 1 given I only need to add roughly 10-or-so ships and not 70, and I've already got a base to work off of.

wookieejedi:
Thanks for the update, looking forward to continued updates and progress!

Strygon:
Good morning (or extremely very late evening, it's currently 5 in the morning at the time of posting),

Today I bring you a gift

A gift of elf

And also the first step in VN art refreshing. Basically all the sprites will be forward facing now rather than side-facing. The quality of the art (****ty pose aside, don't mind that) I think is also significantly better than before.
For self-reference, the main lineart will now use 14px lines with 10 or 12px lines for internal details. Previous sprites were a little all over the place with line thickness.

Expect me to post more of these in the future. If there's any interest I might also go into more detail about how I draw these things and prep them for VN usage.

ShivanSlayer:
That looks much better

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version