Author Topic: ME3 Extended cut  (Read 8332 times)

like i said has any one tried refusal with complete and perfect score in every way possible?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
It seems rather cheap that destroy, the best option and what everything was building to, is made "bad" by the Geth/EDI sacrifice. Making destroy the official ending (and Bioware outright saying that any future with the franchise builds on that) with the others as more or less bonuses would have been fine.

Overall things like seeing the citadel being rebuilt, etc. is pretty rewarding there. Of course so is Shepard galactic Reaper overlord... (basically just Synthesis sucks and makes no sense despite authorial fiat saying it's the best...)

If the DLC rumors are true though, it could be that they are going to use that to build up to an alternative ending tied to all of the DLC packs:
Spoiler:
Sounds like along with Take Back Omega, the Leviathan of Dis is a rogue Reaper and it sheds more light on the Catalyst's control of the Reapers and betrayal of its creator. It could possibly tie to further destroy ending tweaks where with all of the DLC you get an option such as destroying the Catalyst while letting Shepard live freeing the Reapers or somesuch and maybe even a retcon on synthesis to suggest that's what happens there as well.

Since it seems like one aspect they're trying to bring in is that basically the Reapers while having the collective consciousness of entire civilizations they are enslaved against their will to do the Catalyst's bidding.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
If they create a Leviathan of Dis DLC based on what's been datamined from this DLC so far, I hate it say it, but BioWare is going to pull more of my time into ME3.

As one of the BSN posters pointed out, one of BioWare's writers is apparently extremely well read - Sovereign, Harbinger, and Leviathan are all references to Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, the Synthesis ending still makes me want to make the 15 minute drive over to BioWare's offices and *****slap the members of the writing team.  "A new DNA" - seriously, they couldn't have cut that incredibly stupid line and come up with some other way of magic hand-waving that resulted in synthesis.  Argh.  It kills me that BioWare's senior staff lean toward that as the "best" ending when it is SO poorly written.  Control and Destroy get passing grades, and I actually really like the new refuse option (frankly, that should be canon - Shep's cycle sets up the next to win), but Synthesis is just terrible, awful, lazy writing... even extended.  It *might* actually be even worse than it was non-extended.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:18:00 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
I was very pleased to find that in the extended cut you can tell kid catalyst to screw off. Apparently this turns out to be a very stupid proposition, but the thing that bothered me the most about the me3 ending was that Sheppard accepts the solutions laid out before him by possibly the most malevolent entity in the galaxy... kid catalyst. I mean he's... (it's?) essentially the king of the reapers. You shouldn't be negotiating with him YOU SHOULD BE SHOOTING AT HIM! Which is exactly what I did in my second play through, only to find out that doing so will give you same ending as if you tell him to screw off.

"SO BE IT" - Somehow I find this ending the most satisfying. Screw you kid catalyst... screw you.

Overall I really like the extended cut personally. I can imagine that people are still disappointed that their choices still aren't explained, and by choices I mean everything other than the choice you make at the end with kid catalyst. I'm surprised they didn't just throw up some text with a picture or something. Synthesis ending was cool I liked the monologue EDI makes talking about the bridge between synthetics and humans leading to more discovery/knowledge etc. Destroy ending was not as bad as I thought, and it looks like Sheppard even lives through it. Anything but control ending! That just replaces kid catalyst with my Sheppard. I don't want another kid catalyst! Down with kid catalyst!

Anyone know why kid catalyst NOW decides to allow Sheppard to destroy/merge with/control the reapers? Is the crucible that powerful to influence him or is he just bored of doing this cycle after cycle? Did anyone catch that? They also didn't explain why kid catalyst is that kid you saw burn on earth grrr  :hopping:

This last part is a rant-
I kinda had the mindset that synthesis would lead to a nightmarish existence. Imagine being heavily drugged (machine influence) only you never sober up. The machine part of you throws an error and you're processing... processing... processing then you puke and try to cough out the sickness, but it's engrained in your faulty hybrid construct. You can't stop your crazy hybrid machine brain from humming while it sorts the error. That's what I would imagine synthesis would be like. A cold you can't wake up from, a drug you never sober up from. What a nightmare right? Apparently synthesis is a very harmonious state, like somehow sharing half your mind with a machine is a beautiful thing right? Is it still you but the machine you? Like you became part machine but you are still you or is it some kind of reaper machine that's infiltrated your mind? Someone pass the bowl. 
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
If they create a Leviathan of Dis DLC based on what's been datamined from this DLC so far, I hate it say it, but BioWare is going to pull more of my time into ME3.

As one of the BSN posters pointed out, one of BioWare's writers is apparently extremely well read - Sovereign, Harbinger, and Leviathan are all references to Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes.

Do you guys have links to the datamined stuff?
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Do you guys have links to the datamined stuff?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/12777408/10

There's a pastebin link several posts down.  The new content hints are halfway down the text file.  There's quite a few lines referencing it.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Synthesis ending was cool

Someone grab their omni-blade, bigchunk has clearly been indoctrinated.  I'd biotic-punch him but my arm has seen better days.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
You know what just for the sake of argument let's just say I freakin love synthesys ending. Nevermind the rant at the end of my last post. I long to be merged with my desktop.  :lol:
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
. Anything but control ending! That just replaces kid catalyst with my Sheppard. I don't want another kid catalyst! Down with kid catalyst!
But, but, but...! :(
Spoiler:
ETERNAL. INFINITE. IMMORTAL.

Once more, the only parallel I can draw to Synthesis is Bio-Metal and the Scions from Battlezone. Based on BZ lore and the ending cinematic, Synthesis appears to be incredibly well-developed bio-machinery, effectively cybernetics ingrained at the cellular level. Yes, yes. I'll bite and say that it's still hokey that SPACE MAGIC can so profoundly alter the life-code of all living things in the galaxy, but you take what you can get. (Anybody who's completely lost at my reference should at least skim some of this. )

That said, I was overall very pleased with the extended endings. While I still don't 100% approve of the direction BioWare decided to take the Reapers (and the fact that I still like my pet ideas), I have to give them credit for a) sticking with the ideas they had already committed, and b) developing what was present a lot more. The original ending simply felt incomplete. That feeling grated me far more than any of BioWare's narrative decisions.

Oh, also- Refusal definitely seems like a troll move on BioWare's part. Bravo, boys- bravo. Really. I *liked* that you could effectively get a "you lose" ending (though it's technically a deferred victory, but whatever).

And that's about all I've got to say on the matter. I'm always up to kick some asses in multi.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

the way i see it if they ever make another mass effect (they keep saying this is the end but its like saying lions gate will stop making twilight movies the bean counters will never let it die) then the only ending that they can make canon to set the stage for the next game is the refusal ending. its like how valve handled half life 2 your assumed to have made a certain choice because other wise we wouldn't be here.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Refusal ending: You didn't picked a color, thus you and everyone will DIE. No matter how many war assets you've gathered.
gg no re.

^
Bioware being sour.

Because you can't win conventionaly. That was the whole point. It was made pretty obvious from the whole start that you can't win against the reaper in a straigh-up fight.
You want the story and setting to go in a different direction altogether.

People rant agaisnt the endings because they want the endings they think should happen (or should I say, they want to happen), not endings that the devs think should happen.
They rant about the EDI/Geth sacrifice, because they want a "perfect" victory.
Destroy makes sense (and Geth and EDI blowing up makes sense too)
What you do with the other races really shouldn't have (logic-wise) a big impact at the end, since a military victory is impossible anyway.
The only ending that is truly "WTF??" is synthesis because it makes no damn sense with the DNA crap.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Because you can't win conventionaly.

Didn't we come very close to doing that at Palavan among other places, with only a small amount of the raw power we brought to Earth?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken