Author Topic: Drone weapons  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Yeah, I know, hitting important single targets nearly everywhere in the owrld with a remotely controlled drone is already a common tactic in the (US) military, but... What if there were authonomical tiny drones able to eliminate just any living target that has been designated by whoever-is-in-charge?

https://youtu.be/HipTO_7mUOw

These final words are suggesting that AIs are the danger; nothing more wrong there. We all know who is the real threat in such a case.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Is image recognition reliable enough to make this kind of weapon practical? I imagine the CIA will have to test such a weapon on their preferred proving grounds of Afghan weddings.

If Skynet really did try to take over this would be a hugely inefficient way of going about it, it'd be far easier and simpler to just saturate the whole planet with bio weapons or lethal chemicals.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
if it isn't now it will be soon.

And do keep in mind your correct usage of the qualifier 'enough'.

the only thing I think this gets wrong is the little thing at the end where the guys says there is some possible way to stop this, no there isn't, not without killing ideas like free exchange of information, someone somewhere is going to take off the shelf software and hardware and lego them together for something like this. the only thing that can be done to stop it is anti-drone defense systems, it will need to be the case that if you take a drone and fly it in the wrong place it will almost instantly be a smoldering heap of inert metal and plastic.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:14:44 pm by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Buckshee, I didn't mean any AI systems like Skynet or something terrorising humanity. I meant that such drone weapons are a very convenient way of dealing with unwanted political or humane opposition - and there are at least several governments out there that wouldn't hasitate to use them. Even more danger would come from the side of some sort of radical terrorists who could just release swarms of these things above a city as a kill-them-all swarm. That technology would probably make its way from military to the wrong hands relatively quick though.

There's also a problem that 90% of technology needed to make it work is already available. Tiny drones? Check. Small, high resolution cameras? Check. Facial recognition software? Check. Tiny processing units capable of efficiently running such software? Check! Small, directional charges? Bullets, duh, check. The only thing left is to interface all of these things together in a handy package and probably add some software for path tracing/selection, but that's something done in video games for very long anyway. And maps of most locations are publicly accesible anyway at Google, together with possible supplemental use of Google Street.

I kinda imagine having an opposing swarm of drones as the only solution (attacking and destroying enemy drones) since it seems like an only easily deployable and quick enough countermeasure, because it seems like building barriers around every house and public space is a really long-term investment.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
nasty thing is the only reason the drones in the video are as big as they are is to carry the explosive charge, if you went with poison you could make drones the size of a fly that would be pretty hard to stop with anything short of laser countermeasures, but that's a generation after what's in the video.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Snarks

Even though the attack didn't cause any damage, I can't imagine it was cheap blowing up the drones using conventional missiles. If drones can be mass manufactured, then you can wage a war of financial attrition, throwing cheap drones against expensive missiles. Anti-drone hardware needs to be able to destroy drones at a cost effective rate, and it doesn't seem like any military around the world has working towards that kind of technology.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
which (almost) astonishes me.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Bring back flak cannon? Radar aimed?

Actually...