Author Topic: *SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 104051 times)

Re: *SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars: The Last Jedi
By the way, where does TFA state Luke became a hermit and ran away?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, that scene explicitly says "Luke tried to train new Jedi, failed, and then went off to find the original Jedi temple".
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As for Karajorma, I wasn't aware Rian Johnson had publicly complained about the backstory being unavailable for him. Unfair yes, but it doesn't matter in the end. That statement also means the story line was open and he HAD the time to fill in what he needed for the second installment. He could have left parts of it open. Instead he chose to wreck it all, invalidating the point of watching the first movie in the trilogy. Now this really is quite unprofessional and amateurish, and this in a series of movies famous for their continuity! Did he really even spare a second of thought to what it would do with respect to the general reception of the trilogy? Besides, what did Disney ask Abrams to do? Direct the first movie of a trilogy is one thing, but what does that contract say about the entire story line? If it wasn't part of his contract, there's your answer. And having seen enough corporate BS for my life time, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if this actually happened.

Wrong again. JJ Abrams collaborated with Rian Johnson on the plot line for TLJ during its development. If none of JJ Abrams ideas for the contents of his mystery boxes made it into the final film that suggests that

a) He flat out refused to explain them to Rian even though they had extensive discussions during which he explained his vision of the 2nd film.
b) He knew the answers to the questions and asked Rian to leave them for the 3rd film.
c) Rian Johnson or Johnson AND Abrams decided that his ideas weren't that good and came up with better ones.
d) He had no idea how to deal with those hooks in the first place.

The fact that Rian complained that no one knew the backstory (and notice he complained about no one knowing it, not that he didn't have access to it!) means that d) is the most likely. In which case this is 100% JJ Abrams fault for introducing plot points he didn't understand. Next most likely is b) but even there, the fault still lies with JJ Abrams. You can't complain that Rian didn't reveal secrets if he was deliberately forbidden to by Abrams. If you want to blame Rian Johnson for TLJ you're going to have to prove that c) happened and that JJ Abrams disagrees with Rian's changes. Good luck!

The funny thing is you are acting like Rian destroyed all chance of their being answers to these questions. That's nonsense. Several of JJ Abrams mystery boxes are still left unopened. Luke's Lightsaber's origins. Whether Rey really was the child of nobodies or if Ren simply lied. Lots of mysteries left. And JJ Abrams is up next. So how about waiting to judge how good the answers to JJ Abrams mysteries are for when you see JJ Abrams try to answer them? If he can't do a good job himself, then it becomes even more unfair to complain at someone else not doing a good job.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:02:06 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

But humor me why would Snoke keep Rey around otherwise, if he isn't supposed to be even effective? To have a force sensitive pet to berate? Or to have a fall guy available if plans don't come to fruition? Ren isn't even good at lip service to stroke Snoke's ego, so he isn't even good as a yes-man. Although, yes, we probably haven't yet seen a mentally unstable emo that ends up killing his dad and nearly offing his mum so I guess that's a first.

Same reason why Palpatine wanted Skywalker under his wing. And Star Wars hasn't "yet seen a mentally unstable emo" that kills his loved ones? Are you drunk? Come on, let's be serious here, if anything, that is done out of respect towards Lucas and what he created twenty years ago.

By the way, where does TFA state Luke became a hermit and ran away? I recall the opening text crawl said he has disappeared, but not much else. Having checked it today, the ending scene in TFA looks quite different in tone than how it continues in TLJ.

It's exactly the same thing, rationale included. Also, the very scene where we see Luke and R2 watching the temple burn due to Ben's rebellion was already shown in TFA's trailers. I couldn't but see a complete continuity in what Rian did here, and any attempts to portray it otherwise feel absolutely alien and incomprehensible to me.

Offline Luis Dias

Bob Chipman sums it up best regarding how "Star Wars killed everything about the Force, Luke, etc"

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The fact that Rian complained that no one knew the backstory (and notice he complained about no one knowing it, not that he didn't have access to it!) means that d) is the most likely. In which case this is 100% JJ Abrams fault for introducing plot points he didn't understand.

Plus, Abrams has made a habit of this crap.  Look at LOST and Fringe; both television series had layers of mystery boxes that either got ignored completely or nonsense explanations because nobody bothered to decide the purpose of them at the beginning.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't know what Abrams did on Felicity, but if you look at Alias, it's all the same bull****.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I don't know what Abrams did on Felicity, but if you look at Alias, it's all the same bull****.

****, I'd forgotten about Alias.  Yeah, yet another Abrams-touched series that started off with a lot of promise and then kept adding layers of mysteries without resolving any of the others, piling bull**** on bull****.  Of the three I've spent time on - Alias, Lost, Fringe - I only watched all of Fringe because I found it compelling and entertaining enough to continue, while Lost and Alias I gave up on after a few seasons.

Bob Chipman sums it up best regarding how "Star Wars killed everything about the Force, Luke, etc"

That was a really good review.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Luis Dias

Loved this comment on youtube

Luke should've turned up in his moss covered X-Wing, right after Rey hits her triple, shouting "GREAT SHOT KID, THAT WAS 1 IN A MILLION", then ejected right into the air, pausing momentarily in the Crait sun, before IGNITING HIS GREEN LASER SWORD, then BAM ! 3 point Superhero Landing, as in the background the x-wing continues on it's trajectory into the side of an AT-M6.Then, ****ing duel of the fates starts playing, and Luke ignites a second blade out of the bottom of his sword, going full maul-style double ended, he rips off his top leaving a high waisted Ben Swolo style look, being a totally ripped old man, we see he's covered in all sorts of sweet jedi style tats. Then the First Order ****ing just open up on him, and he's force dashing, flipping and ****ing ping ponging all over the place, reflecting bolts straight back at them, and slicing legs off the AT-M6's, force lifting them into each other and throwing the wreckage at Kylos ship, which gets smashed out the air. Then the whole ****ing atmosphere breaks above them, and the shattered wreckage of the supremacy, just tears down towards the Crait surface heading towards them, impacting the plains,gouging whole plumes of salt into the air, and it hurtles on a collision course for Luke and the base. Luke just ****ing stares it down, steel eyed and confident he raises one hand in front of him, then the other beside it, and in one sharp intense moment he ****ING FORCE RIPS THE WHOLE SHIP IN HALF, the 2 ruined pieces strewn to either side of him, as they crash into the mountain ranges to the left and right of the base. Then out of the wreckage, ****!, It's SNOKE!, with a big ugly whelted scar across his midriff, and he's got the Knights of Ren with him, Then BOOM! we find out he is DARTH PLAGUEIS, and the knights are all resurrected clones of other EU Darths ! It's ****ing darthapalooza, and Luke doesn't care, because he's brought some friends too, the Slave 1 lands behind him, and there's Boba Fett (****ING FACE TURN !!), and Ahsoka, and Starkiller and Dash Rendar, and every other bit of fanservice he could recruit, and it's a ****ing glowstick swinging rave, every bit as good as the battle of Genonsis in AOTC. Luke wrecks everyone, he and Ahsoka kiss, then you see the wreckage of Kylos ship move, and Ren emerges, pissed as hell, about to start some frothing rant about some ****, but LUKE COCKPUNCHES HIM ! ****ing cuts him off mid sentence, then gestures over to R2 and 3PO saying "take these 2 over to the garage, I want them cleaned up before dinner, you can waste time with your friends when your chores are done", and Kylo slopes off droids in tow.

Luke stands in full frame shot, double ended lightsaber pointed skyward, Ahsoka draped around his feet in a perfect Hildebrandt poster tribute, then looks over his shoulder to see all the force ghosts ever, just fist pumping the air breakfast club style and high fiving each other.

****ing perfect. That's the Luke Skywalker and Star Wars I know and love.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I don't concur with him on everything but he knows his stuff for sure.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

Luke should've turned up in his moss covered X-Wing, right after Rey hits her triple, shouting "GREAT SHOT KID, THAT WAS 1 IN A MILLION", then ejected right into the air, pausing momentarily in the Crait sun, before IGNITING HIS GREEN LASER SWORD, then BAM ! 3 point Superhero Landing, as in the background the x-wing continues on it's trajectory into the side of an AT-M6.Then, ****ing duel of the fates starts playing, and Luke ignites a second blade out of the bottom of his sword, going full maul-style double ended, he rips off his top leaving a high waisted Ben Swolo style look, being a totally ripped old man, we see he's covered in all sorts of sweet jedi style tats. Then the First Order ****ing just open up on him, and he's force dashing, flipping and ****ing ping ponging all over the place, reflecting bolts straight back at them, and slicing legs off the AT-M6's, force lifting them into each other and throwing the wreckage at Kylos ship, which gets smashed out the air. Then the whole ****ing atmosphere breaks above them, and the shattered wreckage of the supremacy, just tears down towards the Crait surface heading towards them, impacting the plains,gouging whole plumes of salt into the air, and it hurtles on a collision course for Luke and the base. Luke just ****ing stares it down, steel eyed and confident he raises one hand in front of him, then the other beside it, and in one sharp intense moment he ****ING FORCE RIPS THE WHOLE SHIP IN HALF, the 2 ruined pieces strewn to either side of him, as they crash into the mountain ranges to the left and right of the base. Then out of the wreckage, ****!, It's SNOKE!, with a big ugly whelted scar across his midriff, and he's got the Knights of Ren with him, Then BOOM! we find out he is DARTH PLAGUEIS, and the knights are all resurrected clones of other EU Darths ! It's ****ing darthapalooza, and Luke doesn't care, because he's brought some friends too, the Slave 1 lands behind him, and there's Boba Fett (****ING FACE TURN !!), and Ahsoka, and Starkiller and Dash Rendar, and every other bit of fanservice he could recruit, and it's a ****ing glowstick swinging rave, every bit as good as the battle of Genonsis in AOTC. Luke wrecks everyone, he and Ahsoka kiss, then you see the wreckage of Kylos ship move, and Ren emerges, pissed as hell, about to start some frothing rant about some ****, but LUKE COCKPUNCHES HIM ! ****ing cuts him off mid sentence, then gestures over to R2 and 3PO saying "take these 2 over to the garage, I want them cleaned up before dinner, you can waste time with your friends when your chores are done", and Kylo slopes off droids in tow.

Luke stands in full frame shot, double ended lightsaber pointed skyward, Ahsoka draped around his feet in a perfect Hildebrandt poster tribute, then looks over his shoulder to see all the force ghosts ever, just fist pumping the air breakfast club style and high fiving each other.

oh my god it's beautiful

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

oh my god it's beautiful

I'd pay actual money to see that clip.

Offline Aesaar

Some people really just wanted new Star Wars to be Ready Player One but with only Star Wars.

I see Bob is too lazy to hide his Bostonian accent anymore.

What people want Star Wars to be is just proof positive that a person can like something without understanding it.

Some people really just wanted new Star Wars to be Ready Player One but with only Star Wars.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I see Bob is too lazy to hide his Bostonian accent anymore.
He stopped trying because in the comments there were always people complaining that he didn't do a good enough job of it.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

oh my god it's beautiful

I'd pay actual money to see that clip.

Likewise.

Offline Luis Dias

Bah, it's impressive that so much fuss was given about this. Were I the "creator" of this idiocy, I'd be revelling about the amount of attention I was getting.

Come on people, really. This is the kind of **** brains melt on.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
It's a bit odd that a parody of MRAs has the media blaming MRAs for it.

I'm sure MRAs are going to call their edit "the chauvinist edit", similarly to how the KKK calls song of the south "the racist movie" and feminists call the scum manifesto "the misandric book".
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...