Author Topic: Homeworld mod  (Read 16213 times)

Offline docfu

I said I thanked the author and I meant it. He did a lot of work converting those models and setting things up. That was no joke.

That said, the argument against strategy style combat systems stands. It takes 20 ships to shoot down one quickly in the Homeworld universe and the complaints other users have that it takes too long to shoot down enemy ships still stands.

***This isn't in any way the fault of the mod author.***

He did his job perfectly. While Homeworld was a lot of fun to play, and a lot of fun to dream about what it would be like to actually fly a fighter in those situations...the answer is it's not fun at all. Flying around tooth-picking your enemy to death isn't fun. 1000 Herc's with maxims vs. a Sathnanas might be fun to watch and control from a command perspective, but it's not fun to play.

So...for a third time, I will thank the author of this mod, sincerely, for showing that while Freespace mods for Homeworld *might* work, the reverse would need a lot of re-tuning to be interesting and would NOT be able to adhere to the original homeworld model.

P.S. As for the Taiidan fighters...do you want a hotdog with that ketchup and mustard paint job?

Offline Lorric

Oh, a pleasant surprise! :yes:

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Umm Docfu? I was talking only about the team color thing.

Offline Lorric

Umm Docfu? I was talking only about the team color thing.
Don't worry. The rest of it is for me.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Speaking of paint colours, why don't people just walk all over the Vagyr? After all, they look like zebra crossings. :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline docfu

Yeah, from a third person viewpoint it makes sense...

But from reality?

Yeah...I can tell that a good deal of stat tuning and, going against canon I guess you could say, will be needed for this. I wanted to see if making things (like weapons) act similar to how they do in HW would be ok. I see now it doesn't work very well.

After getting most of the necessary ships in I plan to go back and change things like that. I'm leaving the shield system though, I do not like flying shieldless ships. The weapons can be buffed instead of removing that. As for colors well that's what Relic chose as the canon colors so that's the way they're gonna stay.

other stuff: some glow textures need to be edited a bit, and I'm assuming that animations like the MS hangar door can be done? What's the point though if you can't make dockpaths like HW? cause as far as I know you can't specify if a dockpath makes a ship go sideways or even if you can specify if the dockpath is for fighter/frigate/capital/whatever only. If you can do that then that's good, otherwise well I don't know what to do about that then. Need to go back and edit the current Beast ships to add team color, will modify the Acolyte missile pod wings then.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:40:15 am by BloodFleet »

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
After getting most of the necessary ships in I plan to go back and change things like that. I'm leaving the shield system though, I do not like flying shieldless ships.
I suggest making them effect-less surface shields and say they're "self-regenerating active armor" or something. That way you can keep the gameplay you want without having to too obviously break away from canon where you don't need to :)

and I'm assuming that animations like the MS hangar door can be done? What's the point though if you can't make dockpaths like HW? cause as far as I know you can't specify if a dockpath makes a ship go sideways or even if you can specify if the dockpath is for fighter/frigate/capital/whatever only.
Make the door a separate dockable ship, and FRED in the movements of the door and the ships. FSO can't do translation animation on subsystems without heavy workarounds, but ships are perfectly able to move in a straight line.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline docfu

Yeah...I can tell that a good deal of stat tuning and, going against canon I guess you could say, will be needed for this. I wanted to see if making things (like weapons) act similar to how they do in HW would be ok. I see now it doesn't work very well.

I'd suggest keeping a set of missions around to demonstrate what unmodified Homeworld plays like in Freespace so that way people checking out your mod can see the difference. Kind of like how BP has those "if we put all the ships into one area and let them fight it out..." missions.

You'll probably spend less time explaining why you re-tuned the mod in the long run.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Make HW the Insane stats and rename it "Canon"

I am sure "hardcore" fans would appreciate such a move :)

Offline Darius

One question:

Have you considered using ogg for your music and sound files instead of wav? It'll cut down your music folder size to one-tenth its current size, right now that folder alone makes up half the total mod filesize.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:41:40 am by Darius »

yeah I just havn't taken the time yet to go and convert all the music files, there are quite a few more than what I currently have in the mods music folder too so yep I will want to do that.

also I uploaded a edit to the mod if anyone hasn't noticed yet, did a quick change of the weapons they should feel less like peashooters now :P

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cool downloaded and love seeing the Higaaran destroyer from HW2 in the FS engine. I have already added subsystems to it and i am working on adding docking ports and maybe glow points but i will need to look up a tutorial on how to do that.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Nevermind figured out how to add glowpoints

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Well i have managed to successfully add engines, Navigation, sensors, Comms and docking ports along with glowpoints to the Hiigaran Destroyer in PCS. First time i have done something like this, pretty chuffed. :)

hmm speaking of docking I pretty much copied how the paths and stuff are set up for the support ship to the repair corvette and of course how they are set up on a fighter. They dock together fine when I call in support but the repair corvette wont let go  :mad:

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken