Author Topic: EVE Online Is Horrible  (Read 7902 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think NGTM-1R nailed down what I was trying (and failing miserably) to get across in that Sectorgame thread.  It's really the sort of game that's only worthwhile if you're a fan of the mechanics it uses.  I seem to be mostly in the vein of Yahtzee when it comes to gaming preferences, so the points that he raised, even if they weren't universally applicable, resonated with me personally.  If nothing else, I will give the game a ton of credit for being stunningly gorgeous; it'd be great desktop wallpaper fodder.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I agree, Mongoose. I've got all the wallpapers from the EVE Online website on my Mac. Perhaps it may lack in gameplay, but the beauty of the ships are beyond compare.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
Although he does raise some good, undeniable points, many of the key things he is arguing around are purely subjective and depend on the people who play the game, as portrayed by the fact that he just persuaded me to want to play the game more than he made me want to avoid it.

i assume you mean by he as me?, to answer that. good for you!, enjoy it :rolleyes:.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

I did the 14 day trial for Eve . . . the character creation was loads of fun.
      And then it got boring. Though I honestly didn't give it much of a chance. BUT, as an example. I sometimes play spaceship combat games with pen and paper, similar to *cough*cough* Warhammer *cough* and so I go to this guys place, and he's playing Eve when I get there. We talk for 10 minutes, meanwhile his ship in the background is shooting at some base or something. We decide to go to 7-11, he "reloads his guns" and then we walk the two blocks to 7-11, we come back, he reloads his guns, then we talk for another half hour or so. Then his ship finally destroys the base (he reloads a few more times).

how the hell is that fun? Damn.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the fun of eve comes from breaking other people, they spend hours, no days, no weeks, no months, no years, building up their character, their ship, their fleet, there corporation and aliances, then in one night while they are asleep you contact another player who you are in cahoots with and who has spent the last nine months gaining there trust and he gives you the coordinates and defence codes for there new ultra mega badassamatron 5-billion with the mass of a thousand suns and a real world currency equivalent of a quarter million dollars, you warp in with a fleet of a thousand other player only to find that THEY had a spy in YOUR ranks and your fleet is now sitting on the barals of a fleet ten times the size you brought. your spy contacts you telling you they just read about the double cross on a forum and tell you where the real ship is, you sacrafice half your fleet just so the other half can manage to get at there half completed megadoomer and blow it to peices before the enemy fleet has half a chance to catch up with you.

I have never played the game but it is the only MMORPG I have ever wanted to and hope I one day get the time and money to properly devote to it.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Haha, there's an advertisement for Eve on that site now. Any publicity is good publicity.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Although he does raise some good, undeniable points, many of the key things he is arguing around are purely subjective and depend on the people who play the game, as portrayed by the fact that he just persuaded me to want to play the game more than he made me want to avoid it.

i assume you mean by he as me?, to answer that. good for you!, enjoy it :rolleyes:.

No, you silly. He means Yahtzee, in the Zero Punctuation review linked to in the first post.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I think Bobboau is pretty close to the truth, to be honest, Eve is a game where everyone forms alliances of mistrust. I play it now and again, but my brother uses my character more than I nowadays, damn thing's too cloak and dagger for my tastes.

Edit: Oh, and because of the truth of the last sentence of the review, that if I wanted a second job, I'd get one that paid ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 12:20:49 pm by Flipside »

The people defending EVE generally bring up PvP as the aspect where all the real fun is at, and they tell all kinds of "cool stories" about blowing the excrement out of other people's stuff (which causes them to actually lose it), with the expectation that the reader will think that's awesome.

Unfortunately for them, I just get the impression that EVE is essentially populated exclusively with jackasses who revel in destroying other people's hard work for their own amusement.  That doesn't really sound very fun to me, as I don't get a tingle of joy at the prospect of ruining other people's virtual lives for fun.

Quote from: Tycho from Penny Arcade
EVE Online just released another update, and the trailer is pure sex as usual, but I've figured out what I really want from them: a single player experience. The request is bizarre on the face of it, but I've entered into one of those pendulum phases where I don't value the styles of play that persistent games allow. With the assets and technology they've got on hand, they could dish up space opera in a way that reinforces their existing universe and hauls in genre apostates like myself. World of Warcraft gives me the same feeling at the moment. Both games have incredible art, are vast beyond reckoning, and present thoroughly elaborate contexts for adventure and commerce. Last time I was in Lakeshire, I thought... Man. Somebody should make a game out of all this.
I'm essentially in 100% agreement with that.  The game I imagine they could create using the gorgeous assets the current product uses is the game I'd actually like to play.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Assuming you're the guy who did the video review, then yes! I meant you!

(If I meant you, I would've either mentioned your name or quoted you, if not, I generally default to the thread topic)