Author Topic: EA Gets Sued Over Spore  (Read 10424 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: EA Gets Sued Over Spore
I will admit that I find your story that Sony actually provided a cracked version to you directly quite hard to believe. :p Even if they wanted to do that, it would probably violate contracts with the publisher. A more likely scenario is that an official patch that fixed the problem was already available and they simply sent you that

From my email (May 26, 2008):

Hello.

Thank you for your email.

I updated the file behind the link, this one will work:

Please download a new <HOMEWORLD2.EXE> from the link below. I would appreciate it if you could rename your current one to < C:\PROGRAM FILES\SIERRA\HOMEWORLD2\BIN\RELEASE\HOMEWORLD2.EXE.OLD >,extract the downloaded file into the application path mentioned and start the new application.

The link for the new file is:

<snipped>

If the problem persists, please send another analysis file of the latest executable to us.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact us.

Best regards,

SecuROM Support Team
SecuROM on the web: http://www.securom.com
or via e-mail: [email protected]

*** Please include the subject line exactly as written above including your ticket number in all communications to ensure proper handling ***

<email address snipped> sent the following support request  on 05/24/2008---------------------

The new EXE is generating an "Original disc could not be found or authenticated" error.  I ran the analysis again, the file is attached.  Note that since filing the issue I upgraded my video drivers (to the Catalyst 8.5 series) and Homeworld2 has now been successfully launching roughly 50% of the time with the original EXE.  When it doesn't launch, the original EXE still does not generate any error.  The new EXE generates the error listed on each launch attempt, but still takes 15-30 seconds to do so while the DVD drive access light continually flashes.

Note that Daemon Tools IS currently installed on my system but it is disabled at present (no drives active, and the actual program is not open nor is the process running in the background).

As for the disc itself, the front is labelled entirely in black with "Homeworld 2 Space Strategy Survival" written in silver, and the identifying code of "MED2027" stamped at the bottom.  The reverse side of the disc in the central data region has IFPI 1.554 Sony DADC stamped on one side of the circle and "<disc identifier snipped>" around the other side.Don't know if that has any relevance.

Thanks,

Ryan

They had it working less than 4 days after I sent the initial support request in.  I thought that was pretty good, given their reputation.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Scuddie

• gb2/b/
  • I will never leave.
People should buy a game legally...

but once they've bought it, downloading it is IMHO no longer illegal.
Indeed. I'd concider it "making back-ups for personal usage". That can't be wrong.

Under the DMCA, it is illegal.

Then again, based on my interpretation, owning a computer is illegal under the DMCA.
The DMCA makes portable CD players, car stereo devices, and nearly every home electronics device made before 1996 illegal.  I will not now, nor will I ever, recognize it as law.

With that said, downloading content is not under any circumstance against any law.  Distribution of copyrighted content is against the law, and not just because of the DMCA.
Bunny stole my signature :(.

Sorry boobies.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
They had it working less than 4 days after I sent the initial support request in.  I thought that was pretty good, given their reputation.

From that email it looks like they changed the Securom options in the exe or simply put in a newer version of it, not removed it (which, as I said, would likely piss off the publisher). Still, it's impressive that they are doing anything to help at all. It's a lot more than I would have expected considering what they have put into the software itself.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
A class-action suit means that if she wins, the owners of Spore get paid?
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
:wtf:

Tell me this is sarcasm.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
 :lol:

*wipess real tears of laughter from eyes*
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
...is there supposed to be something funny here?  I took his statement to be asking if the people who purchased Spore would potentially be paid if this woman won the suit...and unless I've misconstrued every reference to Erin Brockovich ever made, that's exactly how a class-action suit would work.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Funny's circumsatantial. I justthought it was a funny reply tbqh. No offense  :D
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
...is there supposed to be something funny here?  I took his statement to be asking if the people who purchased Spore would potentially be paid if this woman won the suit...and unless I've misconstrued every reference to Erin Brockovich ever made, that's exactly how a class-action suit would work.

Unless you mistake owner for developer. Which is what I did.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
... What?

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

If she wins every person who bought a copy of Spore legally can claim (a very small amount of) compensation for the damage caused to their machines by installing it.

Individually it doesn't cost much but it can be a large amount of money for the publishers. Take-Two lost a million dollar class action suit over over the fact that some people had been traumatized by the fact that after buying GTA : San Andreas they could go on the internet, search for one of a handful of websites which had an exe file that allowed them to alter the game so that there were low res pixelated sex scenes in it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Mmmmm. So if it succeeds I get paid.

Offline Shade

I just hope it succeeds so they'll remove the damn restrictions and thus let me buy it without breaking my "No DRM on this computer" principle.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
^
agreed, I think this is an alright game.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
^
agreed, I think this is an AWESOME game.

Fixed.

i got it on saturday... it's good, though frankly i think my $$$ might have been better spent on Force Unleashed. the last 3 levels just don't have any real... FEEL to them... they're kinda empty...
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Because of course titan would go buy it after reading all this  :rolleyes: The point is your money would've been better spent on just about any other game, because you can only install it Three times. Ever.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
Yep. I feel the same way. If I hadn't decided to buy spore, I could've gotten NWN2 Gold for the same price at a IT convention.