Author Topic: Favorite non-freespace mods  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Favorite non-freespace mods
went on a downloading spree on moddb. Got to wondering what are all your favorite mods and what are some must plays?

Additionally are there any mods that serve as just graphical updates for the original homeworld's campaign?

Re: Favorite non-freespace mods
I loved the Tactical Fleet Simulator mod for Homeworld 2, especially since it works with the regular campaign. It's hard, but very very fun.

There's the Mechwarrior: Living Legends mod for Crysis Wars which is awesome.

And the FakeFactory Cinematic mod for HL2 which greatly, hugely upgrades the graphics (though last version I tried didn't have a decent Alyx so I reverted her to vanilla).

Moviebattles 2 for Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy  :yes: :yes: :yes:

ONLY multiplayer team vs team online 5 minute matches on maps w/objectives. The team/community has modeled basically every significant SW character and set piece from all the films.

The only point of this mod is to make a game that plays as much like a Star Wars battle scene from the films as possible.

Each team has different characters available to play from the other team, with slight correspondences (i.e. the Reb team 'Hero' and Imp team 'Bounty Hunter' characters are essentially equivalent in role, but differ in specific capabilities). Once a character type has been selected by the player, you buy abilities  for that character from a fixed pool of points. You can save your selections as presets.

You can play a Droideka. You can be a Mandalorian with jetpack, flamethrower, wrist blaster, EE-3 (Boba) or Westars (Jango). It's first or third person perspective, and they modded the first person perspective to move with the character.

The entire sabering system has been overhauled from the basic JKA game so that it's no longer even a close comparison. You have to manually block and position your saber to counter an opponent's saber. There's force powers. You can wield a single saber, dual sabers, or staff sabers (i.e. MAUL).

Honestly, it's generally just balls-out, no holds barred, action action action packaged in 5 minute rounds. Max server cap. is 16 vs 16. Playing an MB2 map with 16 vs 16 is extremely intense, especially if every player is actually trying to play well.

The learning curve is steep and the skill cap is really high. I've been playing MB2 for about 6 years now and I'm still not sick of it, it's my go-to "quick fun" game.

You just have to buy the JKA game (for like $5 online, steam or GOG) and download/unpack the mod files. If you buy the Steam version, you don't also have to install the one and only official game patch (maybe the GOG version has this too now, it didn't used to).

http://www.moviebattles.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_Battles

Screenshots and Youtube vids don't do it justice by a long shot, the beauty is in the gameplay, you just have to experience it firsthand.

:cool:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
minerva

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
An HL2 mod that feels a lot like Marathon. It's pretty cool.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I like the Roma Surrectum II mod for Rome Total War.

Its a pretty complete overhaul of RTW with really nice graphical updates and redone factions.  It's still under development and I think some of the interface stuff is a little chunky at the moment but you can actually deploy a specific Legions and Auxilia which is awesome.

THIRTEEN!

Trailer
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:47:32 am by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Phoenix Rising mod for Star Wars: Empire at War. The vanilla game itself has plethora of problems, as anyone whose played it probably knows, Phoenix Rising does a good job of fixing them while sticking to canon.

I'll try out mods for the Total War games I play. Roma Surrectum II is definitely one of the better built mods IMO.

Wulfen 2.0 for Doom 3. Go check the footage on Moddb and have your mind blown...

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I also like Battuta's Enhanced AI Mod for Crysis 2

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Thrawn's Revenge for Empire at War is good. I also like CornCobMan's Fun Mod for DoW Soulstorm.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
mwll
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline RVR72G

Allied Intent Xtra mod for Battlefield 2.