Author Topic: BlackWater Operations Needs Your Help  (Read 41649 times)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
BlackWater Operations Needs Your Help
Alright, there were several permutations of me writing this post, but I have decided to keep it as short and simple as possible.

BlackWater Operations has been somewhat inert during the past two years or so, as the hurdles regarding our unfinished assets are too steep for volunteers to overcome. This stems from the fact that many of our models never got past the design stage, yet were fixed in the design sense, meaning "all" that had to be done was create them from scratch, and put them into the game.

Some of the models have been finished throughout the inordinate amount of time this campaign has been in the making, however there are quite a few of them outstanding.

During all these years, since I took control of the project, I had hoped that slowly but steadily we would be able to reach the finish line, as brave volunteers with the required skills would slowly edge the work out. But, that was obviously too optimistic, and the reason is simple: the work that needs to be done for this project is too time intensive and requires a significant level of expertise, something that is more akin to having a job than doing it as a hobby. The problem is that technical specifications and the 40 odd missions we have are largely complete by design, and the key remaining obstacle are the assets required to populate those missions, ultimately leading to the missions being updated to work with the new assets. The work revolving around the missions is difficult as well, as they are by no means fully complete, however the first thing that needs to be tackled are the actual assets.

Given the fact that the undertaking required for finishing our assets is that many of them have yet to be started, it was always obvious to me that this kind of work is one that should be paid. After all, the video game industry is a multi billion dollar one, where people get paid to produce art assets in the same sense that we would need them for our project.

For this reason, I will be putting up $500 out of my own pocket and through HLP's PayPal for maximum transparency, in order to at least start this process. Whether or not that is enough will be for the individuals with the requisite skills in the community to decide. Ideally, I would prefer for one skilled individual proficient enough with all of the required skills in taking a model from the design stage to the playable stage, to take up the commission and essentially earn $500 by themselves.

Failing that easy scenario, the more pragmatic solution is to divide the money on a per-ship basis of the ones we need completed, and give the opportunity to multiple takers in earning some money through their artistic endeavors.

As of right now, we have sixteen models that are in various stages of development. Of those sixteen, three have not been started yet, with additional four that have models as a work in progress. The rest require work with either textures, LOD's, debris, conversion, and the like. Given that some of these are fighters and bombers, being smaller, and others are capital ships, obviously the work required for completing them is not the same. The money will be distributed proportionately between the models that need to be worked on, with the more challenging ones yielding more money for the artist taking the work on.

So, if you are interested, please contact Raven2001, and have a conversation with him regarding your skill set, and what you would be willing to do. He will be able to provide you with more detail with the work that needs doing. After you have contacted him, and come to an agreement on which of the models you want to take on, then you can contact me to discuss payment for the work that you have chosen to produce.

We will favor those applicants that can take larger amounts of work on at once, with the ability to complete the work quickly. As written above, ideally one or two people would do the whole thing, and make out with a larger purse in the end, however everyone with the requisite skill set is required, regardless of how much you want to take on. If you want to do one model and get paid for it, that is great too.

We hope to hear from you. :)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: BlackWater Operations Needs Your Help
It's a genuine shame that nobody had stepped forward to help for free beforehand.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Please, do step up this time, people. :) It's our last shot at finishing this. If we won't make it now, BWO is dead, so step up, people!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It might help if you guys gave a general indicator on what level of quality you are looking for with models and textures.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
I wish I would be able to help but unfortunately I have no modelling nor texturing skills of any kind, I wish you luck in your endeavors of finding people qualified for your models.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It might help if you guys gave a general indicator on what level of quality you are looking for with models and textures.

Spoon is right on that account... the last update to your page was in 2010, and the screenshots on that page seem to be even older than that (also getting 404's on parts of the gallery), which isn't very indicative of what you are aiming for today

The other thing I'd like to mention is that it might help if people would know from the get-go how you are dealing with Intellectual Property; HLP veterans like myself know about the community-wide gentlemen's agreement to go with a Creative Commons Licence but to someone directed here it might not be readily appearant.

That said I'm going to see if I can drum up someone with the skillset you need. I know a few people who do but they all work in the games industry and are gainfully employed (at least last time I checked).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:39:53 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well that certainly is a motivator. PM Sent.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI

Spoon is right on that account... the last update to your page was in 2010, and the screenshots on that page seem to be even older than that (also getting 404's on parts of the gallery), which isn't very indicative of what you are aiming for today

The other thing I'd like to mention is that it might help if people would know from the get-go how you are dealing with Intellectual Property; HLP veterans like myself know about the community-wide gentlemen's agreement to go with a Creative Commons Licence but to someone directed here it might not be readily appearant.

That said I'm going to see if I can drum up someone with the skillset you need. I know a few people who do but they all work in the games industry and are gainfully employed (at least last time I checked).

These are good suggestions. I will see if Raven can post some shots of the work that's already finished.

Generally however, the aim is for it to be roughly on-par with the things you see done with the Media VP's, and the revamping of the existing canon models. Now certainly, ours don't have to be super spectacular, but that's the ballpark.

Also, regarding the models - I have no interest in owning them after I've paid for them, other than have them appear in BWO with no restrictions. All the other considerations are up to the modeler. If they want them to be used in other campaigns, it's up to them to enforce how they want their models to be associated with by other projects.

Put short, aside from them being in BWO, the work is the artists' to do with as they choose. That's the long and the short of it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:30:02 am by BlackDove »

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Unfortunately I do not have any texturing or modelling skills, but if I may make a suggestion: You should probably focus on finishing and releasing the first Act or so of the campaign. That might get you public attention and momentum and motivate people to contribute to the project. Because I don't think that I lie when I say that BWO is considered a dead project by a lot of people in this community already. This... well... "act of desperation" won't do much to negate that impression.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Consider me working on models assigned to me by Raven. You will get everything finished.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
That's great to know, thanks. :)

Offline CT27

I wish I was more technically savvy so I could help you all, but it's great to see BWO may have a pulse after all.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
If you could give more details about what you need and how everyone can contribute, that might help. I'm not interested in the money, but I'm heading back up to work tomorrow, I'll likely have time to UV Map a ship. Would that be valuable?
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I am sure it would. Raven has all the details on the per-model basis, but there is at least one of the models that needs UVing. He will probably contact you with the details on that.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Sixteen assets sounds like a lot of work. I'll help out.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Much appreciated. Same as Black Wolf, I'm sure Raven will contact you the first chance he gets.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:18:24 am by BlackDove »

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I want you to know that, despite my silence so far, I'm keeping an eye on this thread.
I haven't replied to anyone yet because I want to first get a sense of who's willing to help out, for pay or for free, so that I can spread the assets accordingly.
So if I haven't replied to your PM's yet, it's not because I forgot or anything. It's because I'd rather send you a meaningful reply.

Thanks for the help, everyone! :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline CT27

Could this get posted on Facebook?  I've been told HLP has a FB page.

That could certainly be useful, while the FB group only has 147 members (I'm not sure how many people are there actually active members vs actual forum membership) it would be nice to get the word out that way to members who don't regularly check the forums/this project.

Offline Genoism

• WIP FS3
you should just put this up on kickstarter :)
After much debate I decided quotes are a waste of time.