Author Topic: Combining GTVA and UEF technology  (Read 37582 times)

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Re: Combining GTVA and UEF technology
Well the Tevs aren't bad at sentry guns. The Zods themselves let them handle it. It has been said that one of the yet-unseen use for Tev cruisers was as potential minelayers, deploying clusters of sentry guns to defend strategical positions or cover retreats.

Those would be, however, support tools first and foremost. Sentry guns are only efficient in very specific circumstances, and easily destroyed. That holds true for both small sentries like Cerberus guns, and Mjolnirs.

Oh, absolutely. Like I said, it's just to buy time while the warships plot jumps and escape vectors, collect remote targeting data, etc. I get the feeling from canon FS1/FS2 that the sentry guns were always intended to be used in that fashion. They can't guard a depot by themselves, but they can prevent enemy fighters from popping up in the middle of the depot and going to town, maybe buy some time for a response team to launch.

Long-range anti-subsystem cannon turrets, torpedo platforms, Paveway/Stiletto missile launchers, EMP mines...I always felt like those kind of tactics were never adequately explored in the Freespace 'verse. When you're facing an overwhelming force like the Shivans, you've got to get creative. And sneaky. I think some very specific UEF technology could be useful for that sort of thing.

Offline Aesaar

It's not as if the GTVA doesn't need logistical support at all. In fact, they're only so dependent on it in the Sol Theatre because they're on the offensive. If they were defending the GTVA systems from a Shivan attack, they'd have the same logistical luxuries that the UEF enjoyed.

Careful with that comparison.  The Tevs in Sol have been going out of their way to avoid damage to logistical infrastructure.  The Shivans would give them no such courtesy.

Even on the defensive, the GTVA would have to worry about logistics far more than the pre-Blitz UEF did.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Antimatter cored maxim rounds.  :cool:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline -Norbert-

It's not as if the GTVA doesn't need logistical support at all. In fact, they're only so dependent on it in the Sol Theatre because they're on the offensive. If they were defending the GTVA systems from a Shivan attack, they'd have the same logistical luxuries that the UEF enjoyed.

Careful with that comparison.  The Tevs in Sol have been going out of their way to avoid damage to logistical infrastructure.  The Shivans would give them no such courtesy.

Even on the defensive, the GTVA would have to worry about logistics far more than the pre-Blitz UEF did.

In addition to what Aesaar already pointed out, the GTVA has roughly the same industrial base as the UEF, but spread out over several systems, so their transports and freighters might have need to pass through one or several nodes, before they can resupply the front line, even when the GTVA is on the defensive.
And on top of that, the UEF also had the gate network.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
On the subject of Alliance incorporating Federation technology into the mainstream....

Relaxing Kitty pictures on GTVA Fleet-net during the Capellan evacuation may have saved more lives than the colossus by negating much unecessary panic...
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Antimatter cored maxim rounds.  :cool:
Good thing that in Freespace, there is no such thing as overkill :)
Also, kittens.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
We have infinite beamz as the GTVA, the only good thing out of the UEF arsenal would be the AM-Missile farms, customized for GTVA missile armaments (something like a Supernova MK2 comes to mind.)
UEF beam jamming tech isn't of any use?  As I stated before, beam 'jamming' technology might be re-purposed to HELP the beamz do stuff rather then hinder the beamz.  Imagine what kinds of exotic weapons the GTVA could come up with if they had the ability to bend beam cannon fire.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:59:11 pm by Alex Heartnet »

Offline -Norbert-

Mass Effect does have magic disposal tech, we are never shown it, but the Codex states one thing and they did another in the cutscenes (they never show any radiators or anything get hot on the ships...)
No magic involved there, just something you seem to have overread. In ME the ships "store" the heat in some reservoirs, mostly in the not otherwise used compartments right below the armor of a ship. Only outside of battle do they start to dissipate the heat.
Besides how would you visually show heat in a vaccum? By the time a substance is starting to glow cherry-red from heat, it is also starting to get softer... not something you want for external structure in the middle of a battle.

Besides a lot of the logical stuff that's in the codex didn't make it into the cutscenes... just like the cutscenes of FreeSpace don't match up with techroom and even ingame data on many accounts!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Remember the Geth dreadnaught mission in ME3? There are heat stores all over the place, all of them glowing red-hot.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline -Norbert-

Yes, internal ones.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I personally wonder if the GTVA would make SSMs modified to launch EMPs, that could be an effective response to Shivan attack groups of fighters and cruisers (from what I remember of EMP mechanics on FS2)

Or even better, a wave of EMP missiles followed by AM SSMs, bam! Shiv killer right there.

The E: Ah! I never bothered playing Mass Effect 3, I honestly got bored of the franchise after the second game.

Spoiler:
That and I heard of the endings of the game and how schit they used to be/are, so I didn't bother wasting my money on getting the middle finger after so much time to be put into a game franchise. :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I personally wonder if the GTVA would make SSMs modified to launch EMPs, that could be an effective response to Shivan attack groups of fighters and cruisers (from what I remember of EMP mechanics on FS2)[/quote]

Not very likely. As shown in WiH, SSMs are a rather complicated piece of weaponry, one that requires active TAGs and on-scene AWACS craft. As such, using them against anything smaller than a frigate is almost certainly not a good use.

Also, killing shivan fighters and bombers is easy. Capella-era craft can do that job perfectly well. It's shivan capital and supercapital ships that are the issue.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Also, killing shivan fighters and bombers is easy. Capella-era craft can do that job perfectly well. It's shivan capital and supercapital ships that are the issue.
Easy until Shivans decide to bring their strike craft capabilities up to their full capabilities. As BP's own fluff states, their weapons operate at reduced efficiency. It might even be true for shields too.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The GTVA can only prepares for what they know. Wild guesses aren't very appreciated in the military.

Also, the whole point of the GTVA doctrine is that they can fight the Shivans, at least long enough to run their contingencies. If they start assuming the Shivans are all-powerful and can't be stopped, better just throw yourself through the nearest airlock.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
start assuming the Shivans are all-powerful and can't be stopped, better just throw yourself through the nearest airlock.

And this is how the Shivans win their wars...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
start assuming the Shivans are all-powerful and can't be stopped, better just throw yourself through the nearest airlock.

And this is how the Shivans win their wars...

thats how the ancients went out judging from the tone of the last intermission
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Easy until Shivans decide to bring their strike craft capabilities up to their full capabilities. As BP's own fluff states, their weapons operate at reduced efficiency. It might even be true for shields too.

It's not clear they can or would even think to do so. The idea was kicked around several times outside of BP that Shivan fighter weapons, or even their entire fighters, are similar to autonomic processes in the human body and are essentially beyond the conscious control of the Shivans, thus accounting for their relatively poor material performance.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
wut
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
wut

Battuta actually proposed it I think.

Basically Shivan fighters/fighter weapons = white blood cells. You can't improve your white blood cells.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
There's also that hidden text on nuRayana textures which speaks 'bout it IIRC.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras