Poll

Java 0r J#

Java
5 (100%)
J#
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Java vrs J#  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Topgun

well, I have to learn one or the other. so, what's better?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
J# was designed as a transition language to get Java programmers to convert to programming for .NET. The eventual goal was probably to get them to code in C#.

I can't think of any good reason why someone would want to start off on a transitional language. Especially since Microsoft themselves have basically said that although they'll be supporting it for a while they won't be adding support for it into future Visual Studio programs.

Either learn Java or C#.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Topgun

J# was designed as a transition language to get Java programmers to convert to programming for .NET. The eventual goal was probably to get them to code in C#.
I didn't know that, I guess java then.

I can't think of any good reason why someone would want to start off on a transitional language. Especially since Microsoft themselves have basically said that although they'll be supporting it for a while they won't be adding support for it into future Visual Studio programs.

Either learn Java or C#.

I wouldn't be "starting off", I already know c and am leaning c++.
but anyway C# seems cooler but no one seems to have .net, while everyone has java.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
J# is no longer supported by Microsoft (because they got sued over it).

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Java's main draw, and what saves it from obviously faster languages like C and C++, is that it can run on practically any platform and in any environment, including a web browser.

J# does not support any of this, although it does apparently have an ActiveX workaround for the internet - so you're locked into people using Internet Explorer.

Go figure.
-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I learned Java using Blue-J, it's a nice little language in it's own right, the only downside is that some 'gaps' in the language have resulted in horrific work-arounds ;)

Oh, and the thing it has about altering lists inside a loop.

Offline Topgun

Java's main draw, and what saves it from obviously faster languages like C and C++, is that it can run on practically any platform and in any environment, including a web browser.
can c# do that? it compiles to clr.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
can c# do that? it compiles to clr.

Can CLR run on any platform? No. It runs on anything that has windows on it, and you can get some CLR apps to run on linux using 3rd party tools, but its only officially supported on something that runs the .net framework.