Author Topic: ARMA 2  (Read 4101 times)

So I've been playing it for a while now. It's a nice simulator, although it does suffer from a few quirks when you're not in command yet. Oh, and travelling in an HMMV can be boring (where is the awesome skip to next action sequence CFS had?). I am gettings used to it now, though.

Multiplayer is a whole different story, however, as the few games I found myself in, I completely lacked any kind of direction, but I am probably just doeing something wrong. Will play singleplayer for a while yet.

So, anyone else has some hints / experiences?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Everything I've read suggests that if you put in the time and effort to get a multiplayer team that knows what it's doing organized, there's nothing else quite like it.

I played it for a bit and the movement and interface were so hilariously bad I immediately uninstalled it. But if you can get past that hurdle...

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I have spoke to a few veteran soldiers who quite enjoy shooters about ARMA. Although I'm fascinated by the concept of trying to produce as realistic as possible an infantry simulator which can do a score of other simulations passibly well, the points of said veterans are most valid. Holding down a key to hold your breath, do this or that, is quite silly. Those men were trained to the point that such actions are natural, and they do not need to actively consider doing them. If I could even run ARMA passibly well on my computer, I'd love to see a version which was not "dumbed-down," per se, but rather more streamlined so as to remove the "wonkyness" from the program while keeping the awesome physics which make the program great.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Yeah I agree. It's a nice thought to put in all this detail in an effort to create 'the ultimate soldier sim', but real soldiers don't have to think about opening a menu to pull a weapon off their backs. Make the natural things natural, don't bury them in abstraction.

The scope of the simulation is absurd, though. You could play the damn thing as an RTS if you wanted.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
I want to like this game. I really do, since this is the kind of game that's supposed to elevate the PC as a gaming platform, but it punishes me with bad framerates, frustrating command interface, horrible AI, horrible voice-acting(you can mute all radio transmissions though, so this is a moot point).

Oh, and bugs. I forgot bugs!  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 05:30:26 pm by Nemesis6 »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
From what I've heard, the program has matured a lot from its initial release. Furthermore, the developer is one which seems to care a lot about its user base. So while it should continue to improve, it does reportedly have quite the set of shortcomings, which you've noted to a good extent.  :blah:

On the bright side, this is one of the more moddable programs out there, which I'd love to take advantage of... you know, if I could run this on my machine.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I'm a huge ARMA fan, play as part of the clan in my sig, which is composed mostly of British Army guys, either TA, currently serving or retired. It's an awesome game, definitely reminds you that it's a sim, but it'd be nearly impossible to achieve the real degree of realism required.

Still an excellent game, though.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yeah I agree. It's a nice thought to put in all this detail in an effort to create 'the ultimate soldier sim', but real soldiers don't have to think about opening a menu to pull a weapon off their backs. Make the natural things natural, don't bury them in abstraction.

The scope of the simulation is absurd, though. You could play the damn thing as an RTS if you wanted.

Don' those action become natural to soldiers trough repetition?
Wouldn't that mean that after some time playing, holding breath or pulling a rifle from the back will be just as automatic?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Holding one's breath is a natural part of using the sights on a weapon when a target's been acquired. However changing to a weapon still requires the conscious thought of switching weapons, and while the changing of weapons may be a natural act in itself, it still requires thought to make the decision to change weapons in the first place.

I'd probably love this game if it wasn't for the fact that my PC probably couldn't run it. :P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Wouldn't that mean that after some time playing, holding breath or pulling a rifle from the back will be just as automatic?

Clicking into a menu and scrolling is never going to be automatic. Nor will opening a door ever require that kind of thought IRL.

Offline Niue

ARMA 2 definitely has a different "feel" compared to a regular first person shooter.  Take someone off Modern Warfare 2 and place them as a grunt in ARMA 2 is a good way for him to get mowed down, the combat mechanics are that different.  Most of the combat in ARMA 2 takes place hundreds of meters away, and the interface doesn't feel as clunky when firing at enemies that far away.  However, CQB in ARMA 2 definitely doesn't feel natural at all since your arms move before your center of mass moves when using the mouse. 

In many ways though the amount of freedom that ARMA 2 has is quite amazing, not only can you hoof it across huge distances but can operate any number of vehicles.  This, combined with the simple mission editor (a bit easier than FRED IMO), along with the dynamic AI makes it quite fun to just load up a custom mission in just a few minutes.

It did for me. And I am only in for twelve hours.

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
In many ways though the amount of freedom that ARMA 2 has is quite amazing, not only can you hoof it across huge distances but can operate any number of vehicles.  This, combined with the simple mission editor (a bit easier than FRED IMO), along with the dynamic AI makes it quite fun to just load up a custom mission in just a few minutes.

Very true about the distance part. I tried this mission yesterday: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12806

That specific mission has you playing the Taliban, too, in a relatively realistic fashion, unlike the Honor of Duty: Battlefield Freedom-style games(you know what I mean).

Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

Offline mxlm

If you want a free game, play League of Legends. Or I guess you could hold out for WARFACE.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i have arrived at the conclusion that there is NO free game that is worth the time.  except solitare and the like.  all the "free" games i've played are either "free to play, pay to win" or so poorly made i'd have more fun staring at the wall.  sometimes both.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline mxlm

i have arrived at the conclusion that there is NO free game that is worth the time.  except solitare and the like.  all the "free" games i've played are either "free to play, pay to win" or so poorly made i'd have more fun staring at the wall.  sometimes both.
Play better games.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Clicking into a menu and scrolling is never going to be automatic. Nor will opening a door ever require that kind of thought IRL.

Not so sure. I tend to play more complex games, but after a while everything seems automatic. I don't "think" about walking to the door and pressing space or whatever..I just do it. Even FS2 comms menus is automatic for some people.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Not so sure. I tend to play more complex games, but after a while everything seems automatic. I don't "think" about walking to the door and pressing space or whatever..I just do it. Even FS2 comms menus is automatic for some people.

Yes.