Author Topic: Minecraft, Part 2  (Read 239603 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I've kind of experienced something similar to that too, but in my case I think it's definitely villager-induced.  I've been seeing zombies pathfind from literally a hundred blocks away to come after them; I honestly thought that one had spawned right behind me until I remembered that there's an alternate exit from the cave I was standing in front of.  I guess it's high time that I actually made a front gate for my fortress thingy and closed it off.

I'm not really up on some of the most recent game mechanics in 1.8, but I've been seeing a few things that don't make much sense to me.  First off, enchanting is supposed to consume the required lapis, right?  Because I've done a few low-level enchantments, and yet I always wind up with the same 3 lapis preserved after the enchant is complete.  (Actually I never put the lapis in there in the first place; did anybody happen to drop by and do it?)  It's certainly not something I'm complaining about, but it doesn't seem to be working as intended.  Secondly, the level cost when using an anvil to repair something is supposed to indicate how many actual experience levels it requires, right?  Because I've done a few repairs that are showing up as only needing 4 or 5 levels, and yet have completely drained my XP.  I dunno, maybe I just don't have a clear grasp on how things are supposed to work.

Yeah, the 3 lapis seemed to be due to me quite a while ago while trying to select an item to enchant, I cannot remove it. I'm curious you have it too, though. I'm also curious in that sometimes I try to enchant or use the anvil and right after selecting the newly anvil'd/enchanted item it reverts itself. The EXP seem lost but returns when you walk away from the spot.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

The 3 lapis is a 1.8 thing but the server is still running 17.2 or whatnot. There's some sort of mod that allows both versions to play on the same server.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Aha, makes sense.

Other question since I'm asking questions: is anyone else experiencing some pretty significant lag going on?  I'm wondering if we're due for a reboot.

Another thing you might notice is that if you try to make a door, the output window will say you're making 3 doors but in actuality you'll only get one. That's why I'm waiting until 1.8 update before I start making a bunch of steel doors. I'll get a 66% savings on iron.

I get lag here and there but I thought it was on my end rather than on the server.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I figured it was most likely server-side because it frequently kicks in when I'm warping from the hub world to the survival server or using the /home command.  I'll randomly jump around in place for several seconds until things finally settle down and I'm able to move normally.  I've also seen some occasional lag on block breaks.  I'm used to that when playing SP on this old rustbucket, but I believe the actual block breaks and such should be calculated on the server end.

Servers seem to be down again. "Error occurred while contacting login servers, are they down?". Hope it can get looked at.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Servers seem to be down again. "Error occurred while contacting login servers, are they down?". Hope it can get looked at.

There's probably a fix to this, but I'll be damned if I've ever seen it. Bungee seems to De-sync with the login servers, but the times it happens are random.

Eh, restarted, should be good.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Started on some reconstruction around the old-spawn nether portal (nether side). Not sure where I'm going to go with this, maybe an artificial fortress of some kind?

EDIT: Completed the main rail/highway terminal at the Spawn junction, and started a less expensive style going towards JC and Mongoose's.

No Seriously, I can get 4 stone bricks vs. 1 nether bricks in terms of source blocks, and 16:1 in terms of fuel.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:45:07 am by z64555 »
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Kyad, halp. Server iz down again.  :(
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Bungee restarted. I'd just update it all to 1.8.3 at this point if I had the time, but it nearly went a month which is good...

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Thanks man. Checked on things today once I got a new battery for my router. Old one somehow got overcharged and puffed up on me, not particularly fun.

Oh, during the off-time, I did come up with an interesting way to create an underwater tower, starting from the bottom going upward. I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it top-down, as well. If I can remember to, I'll stick a version of the piston mechanism somewhere as reference.
chief1983

------------

Curious no one reported this but it appears, for me at least, that I can't log in to the server for perhaps a whole week already. The usual error, "Error occurred while contacting login servers, are they down?". Hope it can get looked at.

-----------------

- George Orwell

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Hey, I piped up the other two times :P
chief1983

------------

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Restarted.

More importantly, I found some time this weekend. Lobby is updated to the absolute latest version of Spigot for security reasons (1.8.4), as well as Bungee being updated.

Lobby is also being worked on, so don't freak if it looks a bit torn up. You will need to use the Server selection menu, and cross-server chat will be disabled for the time being on survival. More updates to be done on Sunday, including Survival's 1.8.4 update.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Eh forget it, updated Survival to 1.8.4. Also you should all thank mystery coders on Reddit, because without them Prism would not work on 1.8.3 and I'd be making you all use GreifPrevention instead.

Updates!

New chat system. This one is significantly cooler, and I've been waiting on it since before we put in the last one. Meet DeluxeChat, a shiny example of what fun can be had. For now we'll be limiting what it does, but we do have some functionality.

Player info! Removed from the chat, added to the game!

This is the kind of thing you all are used to seeing.

This is outdated. No more server, channel, or even rank info will be displayed directly in chat. It takes up too much space, and we don't need it anymore. Chat will now look "normal", and I will even let you guys have unlimited use of /nick to pick any name you want. New chat will look like this;

But all that information was incredibly handy... Where did it go? Fear not! All that information, and more, are stored in your name. Simply hover over someone's name in a message they sent to see it!

And yes, you really can click on someone's name and it will prep /msg <name> for you in your chat box. Use /gtoggle to switch between server and global chat. Mods/Admins will always speak to everyone.

I am aware that this can make it hard to see who is a mod/admin easily. That is fine, as I can set up different chat formats on a per-group basis. Mods and Admins will still have their rank badge when I'm done, and will probably have some information hidden. The addition of timestamps in chat should allow users to screencap when someone is being bad, and allow us to find it in our logs sooner.

Other updates mainly pertain to updating basics like Worldedit and Prism, to keep the server up to date, and should not affect gameplay. I may add some other things later, but none for now. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 09:18:51 pm by KyadCK »

Wow, I'm absolutely impressed, Kyad. I was about to thank you for making sure the server worked again for me and then you come with a whole bunch of new stuff to add on top of that good news. I'll be jumping ingame when I get the chance to test out and play.

-----------------

- George Orwell

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Creative brought up to date with Survival and Lobby. New Chat implemented. Voting removed.

/menu's lobby button works now on both servers.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
w00t pretty much sums up the response from me. :)

On the subject of the Creative server, I got stuck on the "old worlds" with no way of getting back to the new plotworld. I think it was Bryson who tp'd me there to help give ideas/hints on one of his statues he was trying to build.
chief1983

------------

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
w00t pretty much sums up the response from me. :)

On the subject of the Creative server, I got stuck on the "old worlds" with no way of getting back to the new plotworld. I think it was Bryson who tp'd me there to help give ideas/hints on one of his statues he was trying to build.

If I see you on I can help sort that out, but I'm actually breaking up Creative into multible servers soon, so this will likely be less of a problem. Namely, it will become;

Lobby (Normal World, Gamemode 2)
Factions (Normal, Nether, End worlds, Gamemode 0)
Survival (Normal, Nether End worlds, Gamemode 0)
Creative (Normal world, Gamemode 1)
Plots (Plot world, Gamemode 1, Worldedit)
Maybe Water/Sapce (Ocean world, Gamemode 1, Worldedit)
Legacy (Old worlds, Gamemode 3)
Maybe some minigames (Assorted, Assorted)

The Lobby is just going to become more or less a huge WIP build that players can explore as everything will be fully reliant on the inventory menu instead of portals. It will have Rule Paths built into them, which will instead follow a more popular approach of being a "pick the right awnser and you can go to the next question" type. What was used for server portal spawning will simply change which "zone" you spawn in for the lobby, helping you meet up with people.

Factions and Survival are self explanatory. No changes.

Regular creative will be just that, straight GM1, lots of Essentials access, nothing special.

Plots will get more toys, such as Worldedit, since they require far less supervision. Players will not be limited to one plot, and can merge their plots together. They can even join their plots with their friends', for even larger building zones. "Stock" size is 200x200 plots, plenty of room.

Water/Space world may be plots? I dunno, seems redundant since Worldedit can change any plot to be water/space. Maybe just increase the number of ownable plots and make another plot world if it becomes overloaded.

Legacy will be every outdated and unused map. That will include Gargamel among many others. Gamemode will default to Spectator, and many many commands will be given to allow the users to travel quickly, including setting unlimited homes.

Minigames... Are a lot of effort. We'll see.