Author Topic: A new nightly build seems to wreck WOD  (Read 6585 times)

A new nightly build seems to wreck WOD
So uh, I tried opening Wings of Dawn after a while (I have already completed the main campaign plus Stranded, but decided to replay some missions), but now it seems that there is a new error right on launch. It happens with both mediaVPs_3612 and mediaVPs_2014:

Code: [Select]
ships.tbl(line 993): Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:], [$Name], or [$Template], found [;; in x/y/z -- z only specified forward.  use special tokens fo].

ERROR: ships.tbl(line 993):
Error: Required token = [#End], [$Subsystem:], [$Name], or [$Template], found [;; in x/y/z -- z only specified forward.  use special tokens fo].

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 333

This happens with r10824. I'm not sure what is the exact build number that begins to throw this error, but it seems that the guilty build can't be more than a month old.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: A new nightly build seems to wreck WOD
Took me a bit to find the issue. It was a really silly tabling error that has been there since release.
There were three cases of  +Armor: XSTR("Heavy Reflective", ", -1) the extra ", being the offender. I don't know why that has never produced an error before! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Throw this little patch into your WoD folder: https://www.mediafire.com/?5yc6cuzwe0x14v5 this should make it playable with RC3 and likewise nightly builds.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The problem is that new non-debug builds act like debug builds and cry over every single .tbm mismatch. The patch helps resolve this particular issue, but the new nightlies still cry about the stranded ship table, lines 395 through 450ish, which means you'll have to press OK around 50 times to load the mod.
You should probably just use RC2 until they fix it.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Like FrikgFeek said, Stranded is still affected, but thanks anyway for the patch  :)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You should probably just use RC2 until they fix it.

Speaking as an SCP dev, this is not going to happen, because it's not an error from our POV. The engine warning the user about things that are tabled wrong is not a bug.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I meant no offense, but don't we have debug builds for that very reason? I'm not saying it should be outright removed, but at least an option to avoid having to click OK a million times could be helpful. I mean, this makes some older mods virtually unplayable.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I meant no offense, but don't we have debug builds for that very reason? I'm not saying it should be outright removed, but at least an option to avoid having to click OK a million times could be helpful. I mean, this makes some older mods virtually unplayable.
The problem is that the original file really should never have worked in any version of FSO. To quote Spoon on this:
I don't know why that has never produced an error before! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know what the problems with the Stranded ship table are, but if they're similar issues, then they absolutely should be throwing errors, even in release builds.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

OK, so instead of crying about it I found the error. The debug complained about line 395, but that line was fine. Since line 395-450 were all about the Caliburn I used an online text compare program to compare the Caliburn-C in the new patched ship table that spoon gave out in this thread and the one in stranded_V0.99.vp. It was basically the same error, an extra quotation mark was breaking the table.

I've attached a patch file with a (hopefully) fixed stranded ship table. You'll have to forgive me if this doesn't help as I have literally no idea how FS2 tables work.

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Mind you, back in the day none of the debug builds ever threw up an error about this either. It's just that recent builds have become more picky about errors  :p

And yes, Stranded has the same error in Stranded-shp.tbm in the caliburn entry. I'll go fix it soonish. (But I am reminded that I never did release stranded as 1.0... still 0.99. I am shamed)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

The urge to snark about "fixes" ending up in a full remake is too great.
But yeah, the new debug and even non-debug builds are a lot less lenient. They complain about everything, not just stuff that will break the game and/or set your computer on fire. It's not really a bad thing, but it does expose some mismatches in older mods.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Rule of thumb around here

If a warning or error starts to appear due to tightened error checking then its the mod's fault. 

eotd this was a clear case of this should never have worked but it still slipped past the codes table parsers, the fact that is is now picked up actually benefits everyone because the error is now fixed and future mods wont have this issue which might break something in game.

If this happened because of a feature rebuild/addition/removal then there is cause to open a dialogue with SCP, so long as it's kept reasonable.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art