Author Topic: Sublime Text  (Read 3489 times)

Anyone here use Sublime Text? I personally use it every day at my actual job and I love it. If you're working in something like Visual Studio, it doesn't make so much sense to use but if you're doing a lot of web design, JavaScript, and Salesforce stuff then it's mega good, IMO.

Sublime Text Website:
http://www.sublimetext.com/

It's free to download, comes with a lot of different colors for themes, and automatically converts the views for a large number of different languages.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I use Sublime Text for just about everything, including work with FSO; the only times I actually use Visual Studio to work with the code (aside from compilation or debugging a live executable) is when I need to use a specific feature like checking the call hierarchy of a function (though even that's pretty rare, because I can usually just search the codebase for that function name and stay in Sublime Text).

Non-FSO stuff, I use it to write Python code and use SublimeLinter with flake8 to check for errors while I type.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

A few of my friends use it, although I'm sticking to nano/emacs/notepad++ for now (& eclipse when doing java stuff). FSO is pretty much the only C++ project I am using Visual Studio for, although I would probably use it if I were doing C#.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Aside of the usual suspects mentioned already, there's a new kid in the block; https://atom.io/

I tried it briefly but went back to Notepad++. I also took a look at Sublime Text, but don't want to pay for it and it looks like the current stable branch (2.x) is really old and dev branch (3.x) has been in development limbo about forever.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Funnily enough I went the other way (i.e. into the past :p) and am using VIM as my primary text editor for FSO coding (and practically everything else).  Works pretty well with a few plugins/additions like ctags, EasyMotion, Ctrl-P, YouCompleteMe and a git plugin I forget the name of. Of course, the learning curve is extremely steep, but I've been using vi practically daily in my job for about 15 years now so I've at least I've started with the basics.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

A few of my friends use it, although I'm sticking to nano/emacs/notepad++ for now (& eclipse when doing java stuff). FSO is pretty much the only C++ project I am using Visual Studio for, although I would probably use it if I were doing C#.

I find Eclipse cumbersome and kind of disgusting but that's me. I started off using it but after switching to Sublime I never went back.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I also took a look at Sublime Text, but don't want to pay for it and it looks like the current stable branch (2.x) is really old and dev branch (3.x) has been in development limbo about forever.
You can try Sublime Text for free; I've been using Sublime Text 3 for about a year and a half now. It's technically in beta, but the "unstable" stuff is kept to the dev branch; the "beta" hasn't seen an update since last August, but there was a new dev build just this month, for instance. Not really what I'd call "development limbo".
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.