Author Topic: Witcher 3  (Read 18463 times)

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
Finally finished it. Probably the best RPG I've ever played. Definitely the best one of the series.

Spoiler:
I loved that stupid, in-character role-playing stuff I choose to do like refusing the emperor's coin and snowball fighting with Ciri made a difference in the end
Spoiler:
Ciri aa
There are even more swings in quality when it comes to the fan-translated versions of the last 2 books, and sword of destiny.

My biggest gripe is how they use Witcher 2 concept art as cover art and it has nothing to do with what's going on in the book at all, but I'm just reading it because I want to know what happened to these characters.

Reading the Paul French version of Sword of Destiny right now and it's pretty damn good (doesn't come out in paperback in America till december but you can buy it for Kindle right now).
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Just a heads up. GOTY is now available for less than 20 dollars on GOG, which is pretty alright if you haven't bought it yet.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just make sure to clear about 100 hours of your life to play through it all. It's a very big game.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Just make sure to clear about 100 hours of your life to play through it all. It's a very big game.

A hundred?

I'm 70 hours in and at Novigrad.  Level 15.  Working through Broken Flowers.  Haven't touched the DLC content.  I doubt I'm even near the halfway mark.  If you're a completionist, like me, I'd say 200 hours is probably closer to the mark.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, I double checked GOG Galaxy and 100 seems pretty low. Last time I played it through (using autoloot mods to speed up the boring going through every trunk, bag and sack I see and already having completed it before) still took me 190 hours. The game is huge and due to the multiple branches you literally can't see everything in one play through. In fact that's one of the main reasons I wanted to replay the whole series, I wanted to see what would happen if I went with Iorveth rather than Vernon in the second game.

The simple fact is that CDProjectRed are terrible at judging how long their games will take to play. There's a really good (but massively full of spoilers) documentary on the making of the series here and in one of the episodes they talk about how they thought that the game would be too short at only 60 hours. Funnily enough that's about the time it took me to play the two expansions, not the main game.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:39:51 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
My two Witcher 2 run throughs - taking the branch after Act 1, not starting over - took me over 120 hours as well.  The entire series is massive, and I have absolutely no complaints about the richness of W3's content.  It's one of few games that does open-world really well; I'd argue even better than Skyrim or Oblivion or the newer Fallout games.  Having a defined character definitely helps, but they've mastered the fun in just exploring a rich world.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]