Author Topic: FS2 on a macbook pro ?  (Read 7883 times)

Offline WALLY

Thanks for your help. I have tried to follow your instructions, and got  a new, never seen before, screen, which looks like this...

[url[/url]

yes, now  the " Play " box is no longer  greyed out, but still nothing happens.

I have no idea, what the message in the bottom left corner  means ?  Does it help you ?

I am beginning to feel  like this : :banghead:

Thanks
Wally

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
You're certainly getting closer! Can you please open a Terminal and enter the following:
Code: [Select]
/Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64

That should launch FSO but since that doesn't seem to work, it will most likely generate an error message. Can you please post that here?

Offline WALLY

I am not sure, what you mean, but , going back to the wxlauncher ,  that game root  thing, does not let me type or paste anything , in the box,  its  stuck on:        /applications/freespace 2          So , how do I get your ..

/Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64

in the box ?

Thanks for all your patience & help

OK, I am not getting an error code, but a long sentence, that I can only read half of , ??

[url[/url]

Thanks
Wally
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:43:22 pm by WALLY »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
With "open a Terminal" I meant, open your Applications folder in Finder, then go to the Utilities (might be named a bit differently though, I'm not sure) subfolder and open the "Terminal" application there.
Once it opens up you should have a simple white window. You should be able to enter (or paste) the line there and press enter. Afterwards it should output a message which you can then copy & paste here.

Thanks for all your patience & help
Thanks for your patience as well. I'm working on making this whole process simpler so hopefully this will be much easier in the future.

Offline WALLY

Ok , its gone 0100 here and my brain has turned into porridge , so, Im closing down now, and  ill get on it tomorrow.
and let you know  what  happens.
Thanks and good night
Wally
Ah, got there, yes, I pasted the line, under the other stuff in the box,   all there was, was my name and  mac book and  last opened.
I couldnt  delete that, so I pasted  your  code , after the  cursor line.
then, when I pressed  enter, the same line  came up again, ending in ::   Permission Denied .  no error code  , just  : Permission Denied

:banghead:

Thanks again, gnight   Wally
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:26:57 pm by WALLY »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
There was an issue with the FSO Installer where macOS builds of FSO 3.7.4 had not been packaged properly and the game wouldn't start. I'm not sure if that was fixed with FSO 3.8.0. As such, could you try getting a copy of FSO 3.8.0 from the release thread? Download and open the .tar.gz file (.tar.gz is a type of compressed file like .zip files) and copy the two .app bundles inside it to your FreeSpace 2 folder.

A log from wxLauncher might also be helpful. Copy/paste this text into your macOS Terminal and press Enter:

open ~/Library/Application\ Support/wxlauncher/wxLauncher.log

This will open up the log in a macOS utility called Console. Copy/paste the contents of the log into a new post. If possible, please paste the log text into "code" tags: in the rows of buttons that appear above the text box where you write your reply post, click on the button marked with a '#', which will insert "code" tags into your post. Paste the contents of the log in between the two code tags.

The result should look like this.

If after getting the FSO builds from the 3.8 release thread you still get "Permission denied"  when trying to run the command that ngld gave you, try copy/pasting these commands into the Terminal, pressing Enter after you paste each command. Then copy/paste the output from the two commands into a post here.

ls -l /Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64

file /Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64

Here's what I get when I type these commands on my MacBook Pro runnning macOS Sierra:

Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ josh$ ls -l /Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 josh  admin  8322088 Aug 22 10:32 /Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64
Joshs-MacBook-Pro:~ josh$ file /Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64
/Applications/FreeSpace2/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64.app/Contents/MacOS/fs2_open_3_8_0_x64: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:48:23 pm by jg18 »

Offline WALLY

Ok This  is what came up

[url[/url]

Im working on the other stuff and will update accordingly
Cheers
Wally

Offline WALLY

Ok ive got a freespace icon in the lower bar , and using the  WXlauncher, I get:

[url]/url]

It might not work but each day seems to bing up a new  message.
Thanks
 Wally

Offline WALLY

As far as I can see, all relevant folders, are inside the  fs2 folder.  As said, there is a freespace  Icon, in the lower bar, but when I press on it, the screen goes black, then a load of fast messages flash by, too fast to read, then the black square ,shoots down into the lower bar, beside the  fs2 start logo  and I can only get rid of them, ( I ended up with 3 black boxes , in the lower bar ) by using    " Force Quit "  of  Fs2. 

How can I do another download of  FS2 ? If that , is the problem ?  Because going into  gog, so far , has told me when I bought the game, and it is  owned, but there is no  re install  option ??

Thanks
Wally
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:05:45 am by WALLY »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Can you open your FS2 folder in Finder and post a screenshot?

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
How can I do another download of  FS2 ? If that , is the problem ?  Because going into  gog, so far , has told me when I bought the game, and it is  owned, but there is no  re install  option ??

Sorry to have another voice jump in here. 
I think for Mac, you want to just download the installer file through GOG.com, but not actually re-install the game.  My GOG Galaxy does not show an option to download a file again for a game it thinks is installed, but if I go through GOG.com and go to my account/games, I can download the file again.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
He already has the setup_freespace2_...exe file. He won't have to download it again unless he deleted it. I'm guessing the .vp files aren't in the correct place which is why I asked for the screenshot.
If they are just in the wrong folder, moving them to the correct place will resolve the issue. If they're missing completely, he'll have to run the FSO Installer again or manually use innoextract to get the .vp files.

Offline WALLY

Ok, first ill show the  folder, then look at the other stuff. Thanks for all the help so far !!

[url[/url]

I couldnt get it all on one page  :confused:  So I divided it and did 2 .

[url[/url]

OK I looked in the GOG library, when I click on mac I see some games, but not freespace.
But if i click on windows  i get the following  page .

[url]/url]

Thanks Deathspeed, for that explanation, ill hold off on that, for now, but might need it later.

thanks.
Wally
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:09:21 am by WALLY »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
That looks correct so far. I'm assuming this folder is /Applications/Freespace2 which you have selected in wxLauncher as the game root folder.
Can you please go to the "Basic Settings" tab and select the second executable? I think it's called either Debug or FASTDEBUG. Afterwards, press Play and attach your debug log. You should be able to find it at ~/Library/Application Support/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen/data/fs2_open.log.

Offline WALLY

Ok I found another folder, but I do not know if it is relevant ??

[url[/url]

And on following your instructions, i got this .

[url[/url]

Thanks  so far, I have to go now, but will be back later.

Thanks again
Wally

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Those logs belong to the FSO Installer and I don't think we need them right now. The error message you got isn't too surprising considering that FSO didn't work before.
If you can't find the file I mentioned before using Finder, you can open the Terminal again (Applications > System Utilites > Terminal) and type the following:
open ~/Library/Application Support/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen/data/fs2_open.log

Thanks again
You're welcome  :)

Offline WALLY

Ok, I did that, and  on pressing  enter.. the same sentence came up again, but ending with  " does not exist "   :confused:

Thanks
Wally

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
What happens if you enter this?
open ~/Library/Application Support/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen

Offline WALLY

Hi Again.
Same as before, the line gets repeated, and then adds   " Does not exist " ?

Thanks
Wally

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Sorry, I forgot the quotes.
open "~/Library/Application Support/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen"

If it still complains that the path doesn't exist, the debug version of FSO probably failed to start. In that case, can you please try starting FSO through wxLauncher again? Then try the open command above.