Author Topic: What determines whether a ship receives orders issued through C-3-*?  (Read 1033 times)

What determines whether a ship receives orders issued through C-3-*?
The title says it all, really. I'd like to cause a specific ship to ignore issues ordered to "all fighters", but accept orders issued directly to it (it's basically there as a target for query-orders to control certain mechanics). Anyone?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 03:53:35 pm by xenocartographer »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: What determines whether a ship receives orders issued through C-3-*?
I don't think the controls are that granular. If a ship will accept an order directly, it will also accept the order when given to all fighters or its wing.

If I remember correctly the code simply takes the call for all fighters and simply loops through them all as if they were single ships getting that order at a slightly lower priority. If that's the case, there isn't even currently a way in code for the check to even know that it was called for all fighters. So code changes would be needed to allow it to know.

Maybe you could alter things with scripting but as far as I know there's no way to change that via FRED. Maybe if you tell us what you're trying we can suggest an alternative.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:35:43 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Ah, damn, really? So, wait, if a capture mission have the player command of, say, an Isis wing, those would respond to C-3-1 orders? That doesn't feel right...
See below.

Basically, I'm trying to build something where the player can command some automated defenses. I could build a custom UI for it, of course, but I like the familiarity and (relative) flexibility of the comms board - the turrets handle "protect my target" and "cover me" orders surprisingly well with a little scripted help, and switch to anti-subsystem weapons for disable/disarm orders, plus I didn't have to introduce a great big tutorial segment at the beginning.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:53:43 pm by xenocartographer »

Okay, I tested it. A wing of Artemis bombers, a wing of Isis transports, a Faustus, and a bomber that's not part of a wing vs. a Zephyrus miner set to Unknown IFF. All the bombers, including the one not part of a wing, responded to C-3 orders, and nothing else did. (Beta and the Faustus would both attack the miner if ordered directly, however... though they had trouble actually firing at it, most likely due to turret placement.) So that's cool! I'm gonna guess it's something hardcoded with the object types.

In other news: Giving an Isis orders to attack a ship it's currently docked to produces a hilarious physics glitch reminiscent of a pinata at a kid's party if the pinata-breaking-stick was actually a gas miner and the pinata is the entirety of space.