Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422868 times)

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.2 (combined launcher/installer)
@Andreas Rybak: As others pointed out, that's a problem with the dependencies set by the involved mods. I'll write up some guidelines for mod devs to prevent these issues in the future. However, the rule of thumb is: Allow newer versions only for FSO and not for other dependencies and always select an exect version for those.

@deathspeed: At this point, there are only a few bugs and one missing feature left until I'd call Knossos "stable". It'll probably take a while for that to get implemented but Knossos should be stable enough for daily use at this point. It's just not complete.

In case anyone's wondering about the critical error which still affects some people: I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself and I can't find it among the other automated error reports. If anyone is able to reproduce it, please press Win+R and enter %appdata%\knossos\log.txt and upload it here or on Discord. Knossos clears that log on every start so make sure that you don't restart Knossos between seeing the error and uploading the log. You can open the file by other means as well but I guess this is the fastest (and easiest) way.

Here is the log from critical error.
This was when trying to update MediaVP.

Code: [Select]
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.12.2 on PyQt5 and Python 3.6.6 (v3.6.6:4cf1f54eb7, Jun 27 2018, 02:47:15) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2o  27 Mar 2018
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: Activating Windows integration...
WARNING:Thread-10:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180725 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
ERROR:MainThread:launcher.my_excepthook: UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\windows.py", line 794, in install
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\tasks.py", line 927, in __init__
AttributeError: 'Mod' object has no attribute 'dev_mode'
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:48:57 pm by hirmuolio »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Similar Error

Code: [Select]
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: Running Knossos 0.12.2 on PyQt5 and Python 3.6.6 (v3.6.6:4cf1f54eb7, Jun 27 2018, 02:47:15) [MSC v.1900 32 bit (Intel)].
INFO:MainThread:launcher.main: OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.2o  27 Mar 2018
INFO:MainThread:integration.init: Activating Windows integration...
WARNING:Thread-6:repo.add_mod: Mod <Mod "FSO" 3.8.1-20180725 (FSO)> is empty, ignoring it!
WARNING:Thread-14:repo.query: Repo.query(): Expected Spec but got Version instead! (Version('3.8.0-3', partial=True))
INFO:Thread-10:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/72/a5/316d08a743a35dc144284b9fb9a466ee259e0b22756cd2a032986951527e.png"...
INFO:Thread-10:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.global.ssl.fastly.net/storage/a7/ef/48f47a06031b010b7acf9ca2d5dececb7af9177ee72f7ba5a7a0288f205a.png"...
INFO:Thread-1:util.download: Downloading "https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/nebula/24/5d/8ffd571bd7453769cc55482fb3eb72602086c2da3668aa3b5579440b5ad5"...
INFO:Thread-4:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/28/ac/236ff8d2ed0ecb86ff1879e4cc76de469326464973f915d5c4b2942b74ea"...
INFO:Thread-10:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/45/41/8e0cf2c98ab621bd931ead1755da73ed545574bd6dff6cf3f79a9538906c"...
INFO:Thread-9:util.download: Downloading "https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/nebula/75/04/92c49e1e228c093f2ac4aa6cea6f0caf010a83f548415f33dc3e5a687802"...
INFO:Thread-2:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/32/7a/23e37b8e4614c9d96d12b1cd47608a5f8c94f0cf768851e9d0966b7bbfb8"...
INFO:Thread-5:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/7e/5a/345b8145e6598d2e53a9e838706db0dc645d4d0ecf1312a73d142cf6d8d0"...
INFO:Thread-7:util.download: Downloading "https://fsnebula.org/storage/47/35/00db5982a595315870d97251b815fc3b3ed200a346d16a77880ed2c5bf02"...
INFO:Thread-8:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/3a/49/693b3bb8f9c4337871f217de44ce2c8582f8b4a7f371c787af63ee60a820"...
INFO:Thread-6:util.download: Downloading "https://cf.fsnebula.org/storage/2b/9a/7617fd8dd91d4d8ca859586faab8c594bcab0136458e4d5136b3590cc52b"...
ERROR:MainThread:launcher.my_excepthook: UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\windows.py", line 794, in install
  File "C:\knossos\knossos\tasks.py", line 927, in __init__
AttributeError: 'Mod' object has no attribute 'dev_mode'
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.12.3 (combined launcher/installer)
Thanks, that helped a lot!

Knossos 0.12.3 has been released. It should finally fix the update error as well as a problem with mod installations on case-sensitive filesystems.

Offline Fusion

Some issues with Neo-Terra Victorious. I get a ridiculous amount of errors when starting the campaign - 987. On startup, before the opening cutscene even shows, I also get multiple errors relating to parselo.cpp for it, Shadow Genesis, Titan Rebellion, and several other campaigns too.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:20:10 am by Andreas Rybak »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Some issues with Neo-Terra Victorious. I get a ridiculous amount of errors when starting the campaign - 987. On startup, before the opening cutscene even shows, I also get multiple errors relating to parselo.cpp for it, Shadow Genesis, Titan Rebellion, and several other campaigns too.

These are going to be errors with the campaigns and not really Knossos. These need to get to the mod author.

@ngld; perhaps we should think more seriously about a "report mod issue" button that sends an email or something to the mod author.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews

View Profile NOMAD's Reviews Email Personal Message (Online)
Missing mods? on: August 16, 2018, 09:28:49 pm
QuoteModifyRemove
Hi there, me again!

During my Knossos binge I noticed that several mods no longer appear in the 'explore' window. These were English and German language upgrades to FSPort/FS1, Silent Threat Reborn and I think one other. Any idea what happened to them? Was there a problem with them?

Cheers :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The mods were removed by the same person who uploaded them. I think most (if not all) of the mods you mentioned were uploaded by Novachen. You'll have to ask her why she removed them.

Regarding the other thread you posted: The error message is a bit misleading. The problem there is that Knossos detected a dependency conflict which it couldn't resolve and thus can't proceed with the installation. In that case it was probably caused by the new MediaVPs release. Usually the situation looks like this: A mod requires both Blue Planet: Complete and the MediaVPs. Blue Planet: Complete wants FSO 3.8.0-2 and the latest version of the MediaVPs wants a recent nightly. Knossos can't find a version of FSO which matches these conditions (since it's impossible) and thus reports that FSO is missing.

I've already thought about implementing a better dependency resolver. If Knossos could determine that an older version of the MediaVPs (3.7.2 instead of 3.8.1) would resolve the conflict, it could use that instead. However, once you start implementing this as an algorithm you'll quickly notice that it becomes VERY complicated since it's a recursive problem (each mod version can have different dependencies thus the version you select for one dependency can affect other dependencies).

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
FYI Captains has been fixed :-)

Thanks for reporting this.  The Battle Captains should be fixed now but I don't have control over Vengeance of the Cosmos so I can't do anything about that.
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Running mediavps makes cutscenes not play, help.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam

You can choose the directory where the mods are installed. In fact, people really shouldn't use C:\Program Files for that since it complicates a few things. Please note that this directory is separate from the location where Knossos is installed. You can select both, one during installation and the other on first run. You should also use a new directory since Knossos has a different directory structure. It will copy the retail VPs from your old directory if you point Knossos towards it when it asks you to.

Regarding the bold text above, you mean the Knossos "data path" under Settings should be separate from my existing installation, right? 
So I have the the Knossos folder (E:\Program Files (x86)\Knossos), my existing folder (E:\games\FreeSpace2), and I will create a new folder for Knossos downloads?
Thanks!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

You can choose the directory where the mods are installed. In fact, people really shouldn't use C:\Program Files for that since it complicates a few things. Please note that this directory is separate from the location where Knossos is installed. You can select both, one during installation and the other on first run. You should also use a new directory since Knossos has a different directory structure. It will copy the retail VPs from your old directory if you point Knossos towards it when it asks you to.

Regarding the bold text above, you mean the Knossos "data path" under Settings should be separate from my existing installation, right? 
So I have the the Knossos folder (E:\Program Files (x86)\Knossos), my existing folder (E:\games\FreeSpace2), and I will create a new folder for Knossos downloads?
Thanks!

Correct - the knossos downloads dir could be something like E:\games\FS2Knossos
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@SamVision: Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.

@deathspeed: Exactly. :)

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
That's a known issue with the latest FSO nightlies and is not a Knossos bug.  See https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/issues/1828.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
In the meantime if you just want to play you can move the .MVE cutscenes to a different location - FSO won't crash but obviously you don't get any cutscenes either. You could also download and install the ogg cutscenes as well, but the only link I found is on the now-dead fsmods website. 

I recall someone saying there was a mirror/dump of fsmods somewhere - can anyone provide a link to it?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
There are on FreeSpace Files too.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

I got the .OGG cutscenes, works fine now thank you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I just installed Knossos on my second PC to do some stuff for TBP and I'm not sure I like the wording of the install FS2 screen for Knossos. For those who only want to play a total conversion like TBP or Diaspora, it does very much look like FS2 is necessary. Those people might never have even heard of FS2, they'll have been promised a free game based on a TV show or film they really like and then the first thing they see when they install Knossos is a request to install / buy something called FS2. It looks a little like we lied to them and are maybe even making money off of selling FS2. For both Beyond the Red Line and later with Diaspora we found that the biggest obstacle to getting players were people who thought you needed FS2 to play the game. We'd often see our games getting mentioned on a website and the first comment being "This looks great, but I don't have a copy of Freespace 2 so I'm going to pass". Yeah, they'd be someone further down who would correct them but it's hard to not believe that it lost us a few users. It only takes one person angrily saying that they uninstalled it because we're trying to scam them into paying for FS2 to lose a lot of people.

We're also going to get people who want to play Fate of the Galaxy, download Knossos and then realise they don't have FS2 installed, can't find the CDs, etc, and then decide not to continue even though they didn't need it. There are a lot of people out there who loved FS2 and haven't played it in years. TCs can get them interested in the game again but we shouldn't make them feel like they have to dig out their copy of FS2 if they came for TBP or Diaspora.

Instead, before the screen talking about FS2 we could have one with two options. The first one is just screenshots/logos from Fate of the Galaxy, Diaspora, TBP etc and says "I'm just here for the Free stuff" and the other one has a picture of those games and a big one of FS2 and says "I have Freespace 2 / want to buy it. Give me everything!" We can have a more detailed explanation below the pictures of course but the idea is to make it easy for people to pick the correct option. If someone selects the first one, it just skips the FS2 install bit. Knossos still makes it possible to install FS2 if you buy it later so that isn't too much of a problem if someone later decides to buy it.

I really love Knossos and kudos to all of those who have put lots of work into it. I think it works great for the community, but it isn't as simple as it could be for outsiders, especially the audience we're hoping to reach when big TCs like Diaspora or Fate of the Galaxy have a release.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmm, i thought that's kinda what we did already... apparently not. I haven't seen the install screens since we originally built them.

Anyway.. I was annoyed that you felt you needed two long paragraphs to convince us. :p  No argument here, we just didn't think to do it that way.