Author Topic: Fonts  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A couple quick questions: What do /data/fonts/font01.vf, font02.vf, and font03.vf each represent?  Also, code/cfile/cfile.cpp lists *.ttf among the associated filetypes with the /data/fonts directory--does FS2_Open support *.ttf fonts?

I guess the big question is: Can mods use their own fonts?  And, if so, how?
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Mods can totally use their own fonts! Diaspora used its own font, FotG will, BP does. You can even change the font used in subtitle sexps.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
A couple quick questions: What do /data/fonts/font01.vf, font02.vf, and font03.vf each represent?  Also, code/cfile/cfile.cpp lists *.ttf among the associated filetypes with the /data/fonts directory--does FS2_Open support *.ttf fonts?

font01 to 03 are Bank Gothic MD in various sizes. FSO does not support ttf at this point (a patch for this exists, but hasn't been put through sufficient testing yet).
The problem with creating custom fonts for FS2 is that you have to create a font bitmap and then use the creatively named fonttool to convert that font to a .vf file.

Other than that, it's just a matter of placing the created .vf files in data\fonts, and maybe creating a fonts.tbl
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:37:07 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter

font01 to 03 are Bank Gothic MD in various sizes. FSO does not support ttf at this point (a patch for this exists, but hasn't been put through sufficient testing yet).
The problem with creating custom fonts for FS2 is that you have to create a font bitmap and then use the creatively named fonttool to convert that font to a .vf file.

Other than that, it's just a matter of placing the created .vf files in data\fonts, and maybe creating a fonts.tbl

Thank you. :)  Reading through the thread, it seems like there should be an easier way.  I will commence research immediately after I take a nap.  Any documentation on the *.vf format, or am I going to have to figure it out from font.h?
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ummm. There are examples of the input expected by fonttool in the thread. Fonttool itself is linked as well.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Talon 1024 has been of great assistance to me in editing .vf fonts in the past.  He might be willing to help you out.