Author Topic: Pof Tools v1.5.3 - Freespace Model Editor  (Read 11839 times)

Re: Pof Tools v1.2.0 - Freespace Model Editor
Excellent, it appears you have an older gpu, which doesn't support certain functions I use in the shaders, luckily it was just some matrix math I could easily do outside the shader.
This is the PR that fixes it, if you or anyone is interested.

Re: Pof Tools v1.2.1 - Freespace Model Editor
Hey there, is there a way to assign textures through POF? I've imported a ship from Blender that uses the Principled Shader, but none of the linked textures are showing up at all in POF. It just shows a empty menu.

Pof Tools can't use complicated materials, all the .pof has a single reference to a texture name, which it gets from the name of your material, in this case Pelta_Hull_Mat (which you can rename by selecting the entry). Pof Tools will search for a texture with this name in the same folder or a sibling folder called "maps" in order to display at least the base color texture, which is optional.

If you just want it to work in-game, you just need to make sure the name is the same as the eventual texture name of the diffuse texture.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 01:56:42 am by Asteroth »

^ Ah okay, so basically if I'm exporting from Blender, I just need to rename the material to share the name of the texture linked to it, and it should show up in POF. Awesome :)

Yep! Note that the image code I use can't display all kinds of .dds, if that's what you're using, so don't be too concerned if still doesn't show in Pof Tools.

Re: Pof Tools v1.3.0 - Freespace Model Editor
Version 1.3.0 released! With two big features:

Comes with support for pof version 2300 with increased vertex/normal counts (65k -> 4 billion) (with thanks to DahBlount in assistance with implementing that in engine) . No more need to cut large models up into many subobjects!

Supports .gltf/.glb import/export, which (at least for blender) finally allows for lossless round-tripping. No more do you need to remake the .pof from scratch if you need to make a tiny change to the model! A lack of proper round-tripping has always been a major annoyance for me with PCS2 and a lossless round-trip was always a big goal for me, so I'm very glad to finally be there.

Note that .gltf models are unavoidably split by every polygon into separate vertex groups, so be aware of this when importing into your modeling software of choice. Blender can re-merge the mesh back together and maintain smoothing by ensuring 'sharp edges' is checked when using 'merge by distance' (Pof Tools does not require this step if you are re-importing back into .pof).

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Re: Pof Tools v1.3.0 - Freespace Model Editor
There've been many models over the years that have been split into submodels to get around the index limits. It is my opinion, one which I have very lightly but not rigorously tested with actual performance profiling, that this makes collision detection slower than if there was a single submodel with all that geometry. When 22.2 comes around I think it would do the general performance of the game good if people, particular the FSU, went in and merged all such models back together, something that the GLTF import/export and blender makes a piece of cake.

Note, I'm not talking about detailboxing. If you have detail boxes that is likely good and you should keep them.

Also, merging everything together should make using the collision LOD options in the ships table easier, and performance would be helped by that too.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."