Author Topic: Pof Tools v1.5.3 - Freespace Model Editor  (Read 11840 times)

Pof Tools v1.5.3 - Freespace Model Editor
Pof Tools is a program for Windows and Linux which let's you edit properties of Freespace's model format .pof as well as convert them to and from .dae that is meant as a successor to PCS2. If you're familiar with PCS2, this program will feel largely similar.

Download here

The github is here. I'm more than willing to accept any code contributions, and if you have any bugs or feature proposals you can post an issue on the github, post here in the thread, PM me, or @ me on the discord.

This is still a work in progress and including some of the features I've posted to the github, this is a brief list of features I intend to eventually implement that are not yet done:
  • Importing subobjects from other .pofs Done in version 1.5!
  • Importing/Exporting only geometry from/to a pof Done in version 1.5!
  • Displaying Textures (basic stuff only, use the lab for something visually representative) Done in version 1.2!
  • Blender-like movement/rotation handles on 'lollipops'
  • Display of turret fovs and adding the additional turret fov parameters in .pof
  • Adding several other table-only data structures to .pof (contrails, maneuvering thrusters, etc)

Wait, What's Wrong With PCS2?

Not all that much really, it's still fundamentally capable of 99% of what modders need as is. However there are 3 main advantages to starting again:

1. PCS2 will totally let you enter all sorts of invalid states, and put in bad data all over the place, which makes for a lot of nasty surprises when used in FSO. There are a lot of avenues for aiding the user, presenting data in more intuitive ways, and warning them about potential issues, which are primary goals of Pof Tools.
2. The .pof format has been basically frozen since our only .pof authoring tool has not been maintained, preventing new features from being added and any that are added basically require hex-editing in order to do. This has also resulted in a lot of features that should have been in the .pof get put in the table instead, and nobody likes tweaking positional or directional vectors in text form.
3. There is still that 1% you can't do, like the new features added that PCS2 doesn't support, and the various bugs it has accrued over the years.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 01:11:54 pm by Asteroth »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Pof Tools v0.9 - Freespace Model Editor
Wait, you want to move things from the tables to the pof data? I thought we were trying to get away from that so it can be more easily modified.

My experience building a mod is that as much data as possible should be in a table and not the POF because otherwise I can't change it downstream without carrying a brand new version of that POF. Unless we get modular POFs somehow.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Not as a replacement, as an optional way to provide the same data. As you said, there are still times when you want to override things on a ship-by-ship basis (the table data would take precedence), but certain things like maneuvering thrusters are a nightmare to make when you only have text and can't actually see what you're doing. Most things involving positional vectors or normals should have a graphical interface to show you them directly instead of guessing and checking in FSO.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not as a replacement, as an optional way to provide the same data. As you said, there are still times when you want to override things on a ship-by-ship basis (the table data would take precedence), but certain things like maneuvering thrusters are a nightmare to make when you only have text and can't actually see what you're doing. Most things involving positional vectors or normals should have a graphical interface to show you them directly instead of guessing and checking in FSO.

Aha, ok then. In that case I propose passive lightning as well.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Pof Tools v0.9.1 - Freespace Model Editor
Oooh,  I'll give this a solid look when next I get the chance
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Re: Pof Tools v1.1.0 - Freespace Model Editor
Version 1.1 released. Includes replacing the opaque 'docking points' interface with a much more clear 'docking orientation' interface, allows you to see the pof version of a file and change it, and visually displays radius, bounding box and offset when the relevant fields are hovered over or clicked.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Pof Tools v1.1.0 - Freespace Model Editor
Awesome, these are some very handy features! The hover over tooltip for various POF versions is an extra useful bonus!

Re: Pof Tools v1.1.1 - Freespace Model Editor
If Bromios is loaded into Pof Tools, it shows The header's bounding box does not encompass all of its geometry, but recalculate does nothing.

Intersting thing, if older Bromios is loaded, Pof Tools don't show this warning, but after recalculating header's bounding box, there is this warning.

Re: Pof Tools v1.1.1 - Freespace Model Editor
Thanks for the heads-up :yes:, it has been fixed and will be in the next version (which should be within the next few days).

Re: Pof Tools v1.2.0 - Freespace Model Editor
Version 1.2 released, which has some basic texture support, allows for moving just the center of a subobject and better properties handling.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Awesome! Thanks for the quick updates.

This looks amazing! but for some reason my PC refuses to run it. It opens a window for a fraction of a second then closes. The log only has the date and time and nothing else. Do I need something else to run this?

What OS are you running on? And can you tell whether it's a command prompt that shows up briefly, or what looks to be the main screen?

Windows 7 64bit, and looks like the Main screen.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 02:16:42 pm by omegaRenexx »

Can you try this .exe and tell me if it's any different?
https://anonfiles.com/ZcIbifW1x7/pof-tools_zip

No luck, still closes itself almost instantly.

Use this https://anonfiles.com/z8Pfk1Wdxc/pof-tools_zip

But this time, actually extract it somewhere (if you weren't), and in that folder ctrl + right click and you should see "open command prompt here". Do that, and then use these commands:

Code: [Select]
set RUST_BACKTRACE=1
pof-tools.exe

It will still probably go away, but it should print out any crash data into the prompt, which you can then post here, which will hopefully point towards the problem.

Here it is.
Code: [Select]
pof-tools.exe glium has triggered an OpenGL error during initialization. Please report this error: https://github.com/glium/glium/issues
thread 'main' panicked at 'called 'Result::unwrap()' on an 'Err' value: CompilationError( "WARNING: 0:18: 'inverse' : function not available in current GLSL version – trying implict argument conversion \nERROR: 0:18: 'inverse' : no matching overloaded function found (using implicit conversion) \nERROR: 0:18: 'transpose'   :  no matching overloaded function found using implicit conversion \n\n", Vertex)'. src\main.rs:607:131

Ok, cool. Fixed version hopefully: https://anonfiles.com/P8Eeu6Wdx1/pof-tools_zip

You can just run it normally, if there is still a crash it should also be in the log now.

It works! Thank you. What was the issue?