Author Topic: "Electronics" tag  (Read 10640 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Alright, this is an interesting tag. It was originally found on the FS1 Disruptor missile. If you fired this weapon at a cruiser, it would shut down for a short period of time; all the turrets would lock and the engines would stop dead. It never got much attention because the missile was introduced late in the FS1 campaign, didn't last very long, and there was no FS2 counterpart. The tag was still in the code, though, as the D-Missile still works in FS2.

Can we explode this tag like we did with the Corkscrew flag? Have some table set parameters, like intensity, weapon-duration, engine-duration, and beam-duration. Intensity can be used as a multiplier with the duration parameters in the same way damage is done, and affect different ships different amounts (via HP.) A standard FS1 D-miss would shut down a Cain for 30 seconds, a Lilith for 20, and a Demon for 10, for example. Then you can have really high intensity weapons but that only affect beams; lots of stuff you can do.,

Making this avaliable as a flag for primaries would have some very interesting results. We could have SW style ion cannons, where on impact the ship is disrupted for a short period of time. Or, apply it to beam weapons. The beam can act like a tractor beam, holding the taget disarmed and immobile while it is captured, or while more powerful weapons are brought to bear.

If somebody could look into the workings of this tag, and apply these ideas, there are lots of possibilities.

EDIT: Can we have critical lightning dance across the hull as an option? For SW ion cannons, that is.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2003, 04:48:59 pm by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Bump.

Anyone?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

it shure looks like some cool weapons can be derived from this, and some coder shood look in to this.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Please...I forgot about this missile and it may be useful.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Re-Bump

This is neat... don't let it die. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Quite neat. :)

Someone pick this up?

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
Yeah, this tag looks useful... :drevil:
Petrach and a few other escaped in a pod but were covered in watermelon juice....it was horrible :eek2: :shaking: -dan87uk

OMFGWTFAOLBBQBATMAN!!!!!11114111-MicroPsycho

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Bump the third.

Can I get someone to pick this up? Anyone at all? Please? How hard can it be?

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
Support the Electronics Tag cause! :D
Petrach and a few other escaped in a pod but were covered in watermelon juice....it was horrible :eek2: :shaking: -dan87uk

So long as you can specify what size class of ship it can disable, I'm all up for this! :yes:

Sid.

I like it. Proper EMP effects.
"Once I destroyed the world with nuclear fire to clear the way for my cybernetic future. I now intend to further shape the world into my own image by surgically removing unwanted growths like yourself!"
- NEXUS, Warzone 2100

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
BUMP THEM UNTIL THEY GIVE UP!!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I would like to see this too.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Maybe I should just give up on this... :(

bumping, just cause i think it's a good feature.

come on guys, can anyone take a look at it, or at least say no one will ever make this.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Someone will probably get around to this if you remind us about it often enough.  It seems pretty straightforward.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
YES!!! DO THIS NOW!!!

I need this sooooo badly it hurts!

It'd be really useful for my campaign...and it'd open up a whole new area of weapons modding ;7
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline SKYNET-011

• O_o
[Hypnosis]Dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit...[/Hypnosis]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
On the tractor beam, ages ago I did an experiment with a Lucifer type beam with a negative mass value and the disruptor tag. A second beam with a countering mass value would then fire afterwards with SEXPTs to the ship was held at a safe distance. (the trick was to line up both ships so the beams' vectors would add together right)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
good idear you have GE