Author Topic: In-game Perspective  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Yes, they would, sorry, it's a hot day here, my brain is malfuntioning a bit ;) It also means that being close to capital ships will often involve (more than normal) staring at a large low polygon area with a few pixels to share amongst it for textures. I might be able to increase the polyres and texture sizes for all the ships in FS2, I have the neccesary stuff (though converting the files back to POF's could be a real pain) though it will not be 100% perfect with the texture enhancements, it might well provide an improvement on what is available now :D

Flipside

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Back on-topic... is anyone going to give us an option to mess around with? I'd be very appreciative... :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline diamondgeezer

It's true about the fighters - they look like toys you could pcik up in one hand. But something else has occured to me. If I collide with a turret such as the one in the pictures above, it barely stretches outside the top and bottom of my screen. The impression one gets is that it cannot be hyge since here I am crashing in to it when it's not more than double the size of my fighter. Presumably, the collision detection is kicking in when I'm several tens of meters away from the colidee - that piccy earlier looks to have been taken not far at all from a collision with the Colossus' turret.

I realsie that what I'm asking here to have the bounding boxes and collision detection redrawn skin-tight to ships' hulls, and that'd be a bastard to code. But maybe this is where part of the scale problem lies?

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
cheack mos test this thread, the exe has debug code to alow you to play with the fov
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Presumably, the collision detection is kicking in when I'm several tens of meters away from the colidee - that piccy earlier looks to have been taken not far at all from a collision with the Colossus' turret.
No, the collision detection works properly you'll run into the turret at point blank, by that time your whole screen is filled by the turret but it still appears not as big as it really is.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
It's true about the fighters - they look like toys you could pcik up in one hand. But something else has occured to me. If I collide with a turret such as the one in the pictures above, it barely stretches outside the top and bottom of my screen. The impression one gets is that it cannot be hyge since here I am crashing in to it when it's not more than double the size of my fighter. Presumably, the collision detection is kicking in when I'm several tens of meters away from the colidee - that piccy earlier looks to have been taken not far at all from a collision with the Colossus' turret.

I realsie that what I'm asking here to have the bounding boxes and collision detection redrawn skin-tight to ships' hulls, and that'd be a bastard to code. But maybe this is where part of the scale problem lies?

nah, collisions are fine. go in external view and go against your turret, you'll see your ship bounce directly on it ( plus who never saw his wingmen doing that? :doubt: ).
and, as far as I know, there's no collision box ( did anybody ever did one for one of his modded ships? nope ), the ship mesh itself is used for that ( unlike, say, Iwar2 ). I wonder if the camera isn't put right behind our ship, in fact, even in cockpit view...
SCREW CANON!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
the collision points are more often inside the mesh rather than outside (expecially if you have spikes, wings, barrels etc and if you go extremely slow or just rotate staying still). I don't know if fs2 decide when you collide using directly the mesh (althought I've noticed sometimes collision differnces between same models but different convertors), but I don't think it has something to do with FOV.
The only things I can think of, that could be connected with FOV, are how much you see and, maybe, the resolution. For example in xwa iirc if you change resolution the FOV change.

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by KARMA
the collision points are more often inside the mesh rather than outside (expecially if you have spikes, wings, barrels etc and if you go extremely slow or just rotate staying still).

That's just calculation inacurracy, I suppose. would take to much resources to deal with 100% perfect collision. while it might be needed to have that in, say,  a FPS, you don't need perfect collision control in a space shooter. FS2 collision is already good enough ( it's mod friendly, don't have to create collision box and all )
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Venom
and, as far as I know, there's no collision box ( did anybody ever did one for one of his modded ships? nope ), the ship mesh itself is used for that ( unlike, say, Iwar2 ).

Actually, AFAIK the collision boxes are calculated automatically by PCS.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
Originally posted by Sandwich

Actually, AFAIK the collision boxes are calculated automatically by PCS.

well, then they use the exact geometry of the ship, so it's the same.
SCREW CANON!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
well it depend by how much accurate the boxes are .
if it is the bounding box thing, that you can see in the new pcs, I remember models converted with cob2fs2 or older versions of pcs as little inaccurate.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Venom

nah, collisions are fine. go in external view and go against your turret, you'll see your ship bounce directly on it ( plus who never saw his wingmen doing that? :doubt: ).
and, as far as I know, there's no collision box ( did anybody ever did one for one of his modded ships? nope ), the ship mesh itself is used for that ( unlike, say, Iwar2 ). I wonder if the camera isn't put right behind our ship, in fact, even in cockpit view...

Hey, I like the Iwar2 collision hull set up. It requires an extra step for the mod maker, but you get a more accurate collision model and it's relatively fast.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Nico

• Venom
can't be more accurate than the hull mesh itself, honestly.
SCREW CANON!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I think the bounding boxes in PCS have to do with something else, because even the old inacurate ones still produced impacts only against the ships hull.  It may be that the game only applies the collision detection when two objects occupy the same area (as defined by the bounding boxes) so that it is not always checking for impacts between distant objects.  I in no way know this to be true, but I have seen several incedents that could be caused by this setup, and it would explain some of the weird things that ships using the old bounding boxes have done.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
M'kay, I have no idea how we got on to bounding boxes, but if someone would start a new topic on the subject, I'll gladly move all the relevant posts into there. *hint hint*

So Bobboau, what did you mean when you said "cheack mos test this thread, the exe has debug code to alow you to play with the fov" ?

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
we were talking about another thing since there already is another thread about fov and clipping.
if it will end to a successful result, as it seems, it will probably be the major advancement to fs2 from the scp;7

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I posted that at like 4:30 am, so I may have been slightly slured.

in the topic I made about testing 'this' I have a zip wich contains two exes that have a diferent dx init code designed to give it a better z buffer, and I included debug code that would alow you to change the fov on the fly, most people like the setting about .25 to .55, I supose setting this as a comand line would not be much more dificult
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Bobboau
I posted that at like 4:30 am, so I may have been slightly slured.

in the topic I made about testing 'this' I have a zip wich contains two exes that have a diferent dx init code designed to give it a better z buffer, and I included debug code that would alow you to change the fov on the fly, most people like the setting about .25 to .55, I supose setting this as a comand line would not be much more dificult

Awesome - downloading now. What is each EXE for?

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
one is a debug build
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3