Author Topic: In-game Perspective  (Read 10056 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

That was freakin awesome! That's how an Orion should look!

Now if there was a tbl entry to make it smaller for certain ships (like my crimion should be at 45, but others could be 55...) :D:D:D

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:  5 thumbs up!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
that fov seems small.

try loading the model up in TS or something and placing the camera that far away and see what it looks like compared to the standard fov.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I find that 0.35 - 0.45 is about right in most cases :D

Flipside.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
That was at 45, because my ship is only 10 meters long. I thought it was appropriate. And what are you talking about?

Edit: Ohh... Ok, I get it... But I doubt it'd change the fov in TS, since zoom is completely edittable in that too

Offline Fry_Day

Uh, what FOV setting are you giving them, Bobbau, vertical or horizontal?

By the way, someone mentioned that you can change the FOV in games like Unreal and Quake 3. That's true - in the console, the command "fov " works just fine, and if you're really lame, you can bind a key for setting the normal FOV, and one for a smaller FOV to get sniper-zoom with every weapon.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Viewer_zoom, I set up a debug code so you can raise it or lower it by .1
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
That view was from 800 meters away! That rawked. I gotta play with that some more, if only it wasn't so... annoying getting into the program

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
if only it wasn't so... annoying getting into the program

At least you can! :(
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

I gotta get this!

...I'm surprised no-one said anything about...:nervous:...

...I'll just download it...and show you later...

*runs off to see what the Gigas looks like with the improved fov*

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Increasing the sizes mean that the ship would look worse, at least its textures would be too small to be rendered nicely when somebody is close by.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
and so you need mipmap like stuff running!
mips within mips... or was it plans?
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Thanks for your tenacity, Sandwich! Kudos! ;7

I have an idea...  I'll find some 3DS models of houses, trees, people, and normal everyday stuff that we have a reasonable sense of scale. Then I'll POF them to their proper size and test the view angle to find what looks the most realistic.

Actually I'm too busy right now. Someone else do it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
Conflict GRDLA:
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
I have an idea...  I'll find some 3DS models of houses, trees, people, and normal everyday stuff that we have a reasonable sense of scale. Then I'll POF them to their proper size and test the view angle to find what looks the most realistic.

Tanks. Definitely tanks. :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that EXE with the changeable FOV has just been updated with a new comand line option '-fov XX' so the line
"fs2_open_z.exe -fov .3 will give you an in game fov of .3"
note with this method you can give it a much more fine tuned fov rather than just moeing it by .1 incraments, you could for example set the fov to something weird like .476198423 if you so wanted
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The updated EXE along with the launcher has allowed me to see what's been done here, and I have a question. What exactly is changing, the viewpoint zoom factor? Because what I was originally looking for was a change in depth of field (again I refer to the scene in Fellowship of the Ring where Frodo looks along the path and warns everyone to get off the path. There is an excellent example there of a change in depth of field - without the zoom changing). Anyway, that is the kind of view change that will really fix the problem - simply modifying the zoom factor is not completely effective, although the difference even with this is really cool. ;)

Do you know what I mean, or should I see about putting up a video clip of that scene?

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
I dont understand quite...

is it like max payne when in your drugged up and the corridor elongates before you.... kinda like fish eye view with out the major distotion... or something?
Conflict GRDLA:

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
I dont understand quite...

is it like max payne when in your drugged up and the corridor elongates before you.... kinda like fish eye view with out the major distotion... or something?

in the LotR scene Sandwich is talking about, the FOV change makes Frodo looks like he approches the camera, while the sceneray behind it looks like it's going away from the camera. looks dumb said like that, but it gives a great sense of vertigo.
SCREW CANON!

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
ah that yes I get it now!
Conflict GRDLA:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
But is that possible?