Author Topic: SCP support Directx 9?  (Read 10589 times)

Well, I can easily by benchs on other games except Doom3.

Doom3 would have run better on Nvidia anyway, thanks to its heavily pixel based shadowing process, used everyone, even with AA and AF giving ATI a chance to close the gap, the advantage of basicly having 2 pixels in the line at the same time, and Nvidia's good efficiency with pixel calculations.

On the other hand, a heavily geometry based game like HL2, gives the oppisate reaction, though its telling that doom3 was subtitled "I can't see ****", so the shadowing does need tweaking.

On the next FPS game, STALKER, well its heavy in both directions, with its good pixel stuff, and good geometry, but Xbit benchs say ATI :P.

Also, the 6800 is a future bet, since if you have the cash for another 6800GT, you put them together in a SLI connection, and own anything in your way.

you can tell i'm a geek no? :P

1 Israeli is nothing
2 Israelies is an argument
3 Israelies are invinciable :P

Offline Fear

Dam how did u learn all those stuff ? :D
nice, and yes god damn im invinciable

Its called our stupid schools, and being obsessive :P

Offline Fear

u made 3 posts here. u r active now.

periods, think of a girls periods, think of how she makes fast decisions, but once a month, kinda like me, belive me, I totatly forgot about HLP till like right now. :P

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Ace Pace: 9700 Pro + Catalyst 4.4 = teh sh1niiiiii! :cool: It does make very unsettling things happen to the fonts and stuff if you're using AA/AF (both screws it up), but that's a small price to pay for shinies.
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
Ace Pace: 9700 Pro + Catalyst 4.4 = teh sh1niiiiii! :cool: It does make very unsettling things happen to the fonts and stuff if you're using AA/AF (both screws it up), but that's a small price to pay for shinies.

Well,thats not so bad, I belive the last time I updated (before I left for my giant european torture), it was 4.4.

If I'm wrong, where can I find 4.4?

I don't use AA and AF for freespace anyway, and fonts... could care less, but the shine maps are awesome, is there any chance to ask for the ATI programmers to look into this? even a single email?

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
atitech.com They have the older cat's further down on the page.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Ok for the last time people if your Radeon card doesn't display shinemaps use Catalyst 4.4.  Anything newer than 4.4 will break shinemappings.  I have a 9800XT and 4.5, 4.6, and 4.7 all break my shines.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Also, the 6800 is a future bet, since if you have the cash for another 6800GT, you put them together in a SLI connection, and own anything in your way.

The SLI thing sounds great but only works for PCIE versions of these cards, which I don't think have been released yet. You would also need to have a motherboard with two PCIE 16x slots, which isn't out either.

I guess nobody has an X800 here then? Although if the shinemap issue occurs with all other ATI cards with 4.4+ drivers, it's safe to assume it also happens with the X800s. Sticking to 4.4 is not an option though unless FS2 is the only game you play; these drivers are pretty old and the newer ones support extra features with the new cards and give some performance improvements. Given how close these cards are, this sort of thing is enough to steer me away from the X800s and get one of the 6800s instead.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Odd, I have a 9700 and drivers 6.17 ( :wtf: ) (is it supposed to te that high? It doesn't say catalyst anywhere...) and /i get perfect shinyness...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Cat's are at 4. something now... so yeah, :wtf:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by CP5670
Sticking to 4.4 is not an option though unless FS2 is the only game you play; these drivers are pretty old and the newer ones support extra features with the new cards and give some performance improvements.

I've got a dual-boot system, with Win98SE and WinXP.  Since ATI only makes supported drivers up to 4.2 for Win98SE (you can get 4.7 for it, but it's un-certified), I play FS2 under that opperating system, which also gives me more free memory to play with.  For XP, I've got the newest drivers that have been certified (4.7).  I run all newer games from XP.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

The SLI thing sounds great but only works for PCIE versions of these cards, which I don't think have been released yet. You would also need to have a motherboard with two PCIE 16x slots, which isn't out either.

I guess nobody has an X800 here then? Although if the shinemap issue occurs with all other ATI cards with 4.4+ drivers, it's safe to assume it also happens with the X800s. Sticking to 4.4 is not an option though unless FS2 is the only game you play; these drivers are pretty old and the newer ones support extra features with the new cards and give some performance improvements. Given how close these cards are, this sort of thing is enough to steer me away from the X800s and get one of the 6800s instead.

Yes, but for my next purchase, a PCIe mobo is a must, so it is an option.

Actully, getting a 6800 is anyway better, as it preformes on most games better then the X800, till AA and AF goes up.

Offline Silent Warrior

• My thoughts go where no one knows to tread.
Hippo: Newbie! :p Here, I'll dump my ATI Control Panel -> [ATI] Options at you...

Versioninformation
CATALYST-version              04.4 (Catalyst 4.4, duh)
2D Version                         6.14.10.6436
Package version                8.00-040322a-014266C

Now then, which Catalyst's do you have? Could it be... 4.7?
I can't go home again until I find a stone a rose a door.
Choo choo, and that is the truth.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html

I have an X800 XT, but I haven't installed FS on that computer yet to know if shines work or not.  (Still waiting to get back to broadband... erm, I mean school, to download everything).  They probably don't, but it's not exactly like I can roll back as far as 4.4 and still have the new card actually work.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

You can discount 4.4, since the first working X800 drivers came out in july, with support since june, 4.6 should be minimum.

Offline Fear

im using 4.9B because i get an improvement of 5-10 fps in doom3, and fs2 work like **** so anyway i cant play.... for now.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
yay, I actually found a BFG 6800 GT at a best buy (somewhat further away than the two nearby BBs) for MSRP. :D There were none on the shelves but I asked a sales guy about it and he got one from storage, saying that they had just recieved a small shipment. Needless to say, I took it to the checkout counter immediately. Among many other things, this will let me run FS2 with the hieffects stuff and should probably overclock to at least ultra speeds.

Unless you have a hot computer, yes, you can reach ultra speeds, and even pass ultra.

And damn you for getting those toys allready, I have to wait for price cuts :drevil: , but just wait, birthday PC's are fun :thepimp: .

Since this is going OT, what do you guys think of this as a future PC?

Nforce 4 motherboard (gigabyte build)
Athlon 64-bit 3800+ (socket 939 of course)
Geforce 6800GT with the HSI cooler
DVD burner 8X (plextor)
CDROM
onboard soundstorm 2 (no wimpy audigy)
Raptor 74GB 10K RPM for system and critical stuff
Duel Western's 120GB's on a RAID 1

Comments?