Author Topic: "Can't get VideoCardFS2Open reg entry"  (Read 10586 times)

"Can't get VideoCardFS2Open reg entry"
Hey guys. Back in the day (99, 2000) FS2 was my life. Being a major looser I played it for 2 years straight. I was SOOO glad to see that people actually cared about this magnificent game and were improving it. Sweet work guys, I can't wait to see the fruits of your labor.

Unfortunately, I am having this error message:"Can't get VideoCardFS2Open reg entry" appear whenever I hit "apply" in the launcher. I put the Open files in the FS2 directory, and whenever I try and Apply my settings in the Launcher, it gives me the error, then directs me to install a new Launcher. I open the new launcher, install it, and the same thing happens over and over. I'm kind of confused about the whole installation process, I am used to installing mods for BF2 and HL2 which is a simple process. Some simple step by step instructions would be sweet.

Peace
insomniac

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: "Can't get VideoCardFS2Open reg entry"
You want this Launcher: http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php?view.133

The instructions here might also be helpful: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Installing_fs2_open

If that doesn't work, and the same error persists, create a filename called "fs2open.reg" with the following contents:
Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Volition\Freespace2]
"VideocardFs2open"="OGL -(640x480)x32 bit"

Double-click on that and it should ask you if you want to add it to the registry. Click "Yes" or "OK".
-C

ok, sorry for the old thread revival, but I am having the same problem.

ok, this is what I did.  I have launcher 5.3, and build 3.6.7

according to the instructinod above, I tried it.  I opened up notepad, pasted that text in and saved it as fs2open.reg

It is now on my desktop as fs2open.reg.

when I click it to add it to the registry, I get another error message:

'Cannot import C:\Documents: Error opening the file.  There may be a disk or file systme error'

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
a helpfull thing for anyone before asking these kind of questions, you have to set up the FS2 vannila launchers settings first, or you'll have major arsepains with setting up SCP.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

when it comes to the fs2 scp, im a complete idiot.  None of the posted installation guides tell me what I am doing wrong... I am following all of the directions... perhaps you can help me?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page
ignore the scp for now.

you know that launcher that came with the original FS2? you have to set up your graph card up there first, you just go to the options and press the detect video card button and select your card and resolution.

if you cant find it, go to the folder where you installed fs2 and run the file called freespace2.exe, and there press the setup button.

hope i was helpfull, cheers
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

I already did that.  my friend alex wants me to use the scp because he thinks that i'm missing out.  I beat the campaign on fs2 already so I want to try the SCP

I already have my video card configured on the normal fs2 launcher.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are you sure you have 3.6.7 official? I've seen this problem turn up for people not using OpenAl oddly enough. Try this.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

ok, it finally worked... I saw the scp screen... then... AWW this popped up:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Just noticed that I linked you to OpenAL 1.0 and this build uses v1.1.

Grab v1.1 from here and you should be fine.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Just noticed that I linked you to OpenAL 1.0 and this build uses v1.1.

Grab v1.1 from here and you should be fine.
That link was the v1.1 runtime, we've never used/distributed v1.0 since they had already moved to v1.1 by the time our OpenAL code was working under Windows.  He just needs to use a v1.1 with EFX support, and that you can only get from the newer release off of Creative's website at the moment.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So what's the difference between that executable and the redistributable one in the OpenAL SDK?

ok, got 1.1 ran it, tried to open the scp via launcher again... still the same thing popped up

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I did have an issue with PlayWnd error whenever a movie was going to play (although I didn't notice that it was a movie playing error, I just forgot about movies).

And at the end, it resulted it was a Windows Media Player error. Something got broken within it so even from this program, (or any other player), I couldn't play Intro.avi or whatever. I had to make a full reinstall of WMPlayer and of course of Xvid codecs (and the rest of codecs).

I mantised this error and it was logically closed as it wasn't a real bug, so you can check if it is the same with you. (I don't remember Mantis number and I can't access Mantis from work, so make a search unticking "closed" and set reporter filter to myself (ARSPR)).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

hmm can't find it.

Edit: ok, I fixed it by deleting the movie files.  But... I went to do the main fs2 campaign to see what it would look like.  I was on the training mission for the suicide kings.  When it started, the background nebula (the pink one) looked weird and stringy and  3 d... then it crashed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 08:06:38 pm by diburning »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I was on the training mission for the suicide kings.  When it started, the background nebula (the pink one) looked weird and stringy and  3 d... then it crashed.
What are your hardware specs?

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
hmm can't find it.

Edit: ok, I fixed it by deleting the movie files.  But... I went to do the main fs2 campaign to see what it would look like.  I was on the training mission for the suicide kings.  When it started, the background nebula (the pink one) looked weird and stringy and  3 d... then it crashed.

Well it's Mantis nÂș 745 (http://lore.maxgaming.net/~scp/mantis/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000745) and it's Closed not Resolved, so by default is hidden. But if you have solved it deleting movie files I think it's bad news... Can you play the movies directly from Windows? If you can't, you must solve this before trying FS2 to play it. Reinstall DivX codecs or even Windows Media Player.

OTOH make sure you use latest builds and vps and OGL (D3D has no support any longer ...)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 04:13:17 am by ARSPR »
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

hmm well, I tried to play those avi files but it won't show me the picture... it only plays the sound.  Its something with the avi files... I can play other avi files just fine.  I downloaded those avi files from karajorma's site

I was on the training mission for the suicide kings.  When it started, the background nebula (the pink one) looked weird and stringy and  3 d... then it crashed.
What are your hardware specs?

Lol I sound stupid but where do I find it?

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
hmm well, I tried to play those avi files but it won't show me the picture... it only plays the sound.  Its something with the avi files... I can play other avi files just fine.  I downloaded those avi files from karajorma's site

avi files can have different formats, (so you can have a mpeg2 avi, a DivX avi, a XviD avi and so on). If you don't see anything while playing you don't have DivX codec. Download and install it.

But I remember something about latest DivX codecs not being compatible with FS2 or older files or something like that. To SCP crew: Am I right?

If the answer is yes, be carefull with the codec version you download.