Author Topic: "Can't get VideoCardFS2Open reg entry"  (Read 10585 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Re: "Can't get VideoCardFS2Open reg entry"
Lol I sound stupid but where do I find it?
Go to your start menu, find the control panel, click system.

Alternatively go to your desktop find "My Computer" right click on it and click "properties" on the menu that apears.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
avi files can have different formats, (so you can have a mpeg2 avi, a DivX avi, a XviD avi and so on). If you don't see anything while playing you don't have DivX codec. Download and install it.

But I remember something about latest DivX codecs not being compatible with FS2 or older files or something like that. To SCP crew: Am I right?

If the answer is yes, be carefull with the codec version you download.

You are correct. The latest Divx codecs have problems playing the movies. Not really a problem as you should be using Xvid or ffdshow instead of divx anyway :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
But I remember something about latest DivX codecs not being compatible with FS2 or older files or something like that. To SCP crew: Am I right?
The newer DivX codec is compatible, but the extra crap that gets installed with it isn't.  As long as you uninstall the DivX Toolbar it will work fine.

But the simple answer is one of two things: 1) use XviD instead, 2) use a newer CVS build and just ditch the AVI versions of the retail movies.  Eventually we'll either get new AVI player code or the current code will get upgraded to work better.  The current AVI playing code is little more than a hack.

The newer DivX codec is compatible, but the extra crap that gets installed with it isn't.  As long as you uninstall the DivX Toolbar it will work fine.

But the simple answer is one of two things: 1) use XviD instead, 2) use a newer CVS build and just ditch the AVI versions of the retail movies.  Eventually we'll either get new AVI player code or the current code will get upgraded to work better.  The current AVI playing code is little more than a hack.

Ok, I ditched the movies but still... the nebula looks stringy and cotton candy-like and it crashes.

system spec:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hmm...what are your command-line options?  Also, are you using Direct3D or OpenGL?  I've found OpenGL to run a lot better. 

PS OGL/D3D switching should be in the "Video" tab, also you should have in this tab some options under "General Settings" : set the pull-down menu to High, and check "Use Large Textures" box underneath.

The command-line options are specified as checkboxes under the "Features" tab and also text in the "custom flags" line, also under the "Features" tab.

Also, could you tell me exactly which files you have currently downloaded for SCP and where you put their contents?

ok, I would like to thank everyone for helpingm e so far.  Its not working but thanks anyway.

This is my command line:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Freespace\fs2_open_367.exe

Thats all.

This is my video settings:
NOTE: the resolution is smaller for a reason.  I like the bigger controls

These are my flags, none of which are checked:
(the flags aren't listed like this, but I used paint to put them all together so you can help me better)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:37:29 am by diburning »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
ok, this is what I did.  I have launcher 5.3, and build 3.6.7

according to the instructinod above, I tried it.  I opened up notepad, pasted that text in and saved it as fs2open.reg

It is now on my desktop as fs2open.reg.

when I click it to add it to the registry, I get another error message:

'Cannot import C:\Documents: Error opening the file.  There may be a disk or file systme error'

Make the file again but this time put it in C:\ not on your desktop and try again.

ok, this is what I did.  I have launcher 5.3, and build 3.6.7

according to the instructinod above, I tried it.  I opened up notepad, pasted that text in and saved it as fs2open.reg

It is now on my desktop as fs2open.reg.

when I click it to add it to the registry, I get another error message:

'Cannot import C:\Documents: Error opening the file.  There may be a disk or file systme error'

ok, I did that, but it still doesn't stop the nebula from looking fuzzy or crashing

Make the file again but this time put it in C:\ not on your desktop and try again.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hey, did you ever run the SCP install program?
I'm not sure if you have to, but to install the registry values, I always would run the old 3.6.5 installer, delete the old 3.6.5 FRED, executable, & core.vp, overwrite the old Launcher with the new one and then go from there.  Does 3.6.7 automatically create the necessary registry values w/out an installer?  The thread I'm quoting below says to use the old installer like I said above.
What do you think, karajorma?

Recently, an HLP member contacted me over MSN asking me about installing 3.6.7, because 3.6.7 didn't come with an official installer. If anyone has similar questions, hopefully this thread will put them at ease.

I don't know why there isn't an installer, but it's probably because the newer versions don't need it. Maybe when 3.7 comes out, there will be an installer to address some memory addresses and hexes. I dunno. But, it doesn't really matter at this point.

There may be some confusion for newbies because of this.

Step 1: Download the 3.6.5 installer, here.
Step 2: After installing, download the 3.6.7 build, which is located in this forum. After opening it in WinZip or some other program that opens .zip files, extract the executable files (files with the extension .exe) to your main FS2 directory.
Step 3: After downloading the build(s), download the Media VP files (also located in this forum). With these, you do not need an installer. Open up the .zip and extract the .vp files to the main FS2 directory or to a mod folder.
Step 4: Start the launcher and select a build to use. If you put the .vp's in a separate folder, go to the MOD tab and select the folder that contains the VP's. Then, create a pilot for SCP and have fun!

EDIT: So, in summary,
Run the old 3.6.5 Installer.
Delete these old files:

fred2_open_3_6_5.exe
fs2_open_3_6_5.exe
mv_core.vp

Overwrite the old 5.2 Launcher.exe with version 5.3 of the Launcher that you downloaded from here.

Is that right?  Or did diburning already run the installer?

EDIT: See the next post.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:22:47 am by jr2 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Oh yes I almost forgot.  Won't diburning have trouble later if he tries to use the built-in MOD feature, because of the "path cannot contain spaces" bug?  So he'd have to use mod.ini or a custom -mod line?  (That is, after he gets normal FS2 running, anyways.)

EDIT:  Wait a minute.  karajorma, you mean by
for diburning to re-install all of his files to C:\Freespace?  I thought you meant to just make the fs2open.reg file to his C:\ and try it again.

EDIT2: @diburning, you did install retail FS2 first?  Usually, you want to install retail FS2 to a path with no spaces (eg C:\Freespace ) and then install the SCP launcher files into the same directory.

So, after installing FS2 retail to C:\Freespace , you'd run the old 3.6.5 Installer and install it to the same place (C:\Freespace) , delete the old 3.6.5 files mentioned above,
Delete these old files:

fred2_open_3_6_5.exe
fs2_open_3_6_5.exe
mv_core.vp

Overwrite the old 5.2 Launcher.exe with version 5.3 of the Launcher that you downloaded from here.
and then get the .vp files:

The SCP VP files go into a sub-directory, like C:\Freespace\mediavps
The VP files are: mv_core.vp, mv_textures.vp, mv_music.vp, mv_models.vp, mv_effects.vp, mv_adveffects.vp, mv_amodelspatch2.vp, mv_100patch.vp
Get'm here:
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?140
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?141
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?142
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?143
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?144
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?145
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?150
http://scp.indiegames.us/request.php?151

« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:23:50 am by jr2 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The 3.6.7 Launcher should set up the registry just fine. I've heard people say that this problem can be caused by not having OpenAL installed. I'm mystified as to why but fair enough.

I did mean to copy the .reg file to C:\ but you've made me aware of another problem.

diburning You're attempting to run FS2_Open from the desktop. You probably shouldn't do that. Copy the entire FS2_Open folder somewhere on your computer that doesn't have a space in the path or as jr2 says you will have problems when running mods.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
What video card do you have?

(Go to Control Panel->Appearance->Display->Settings->Advanced->Adaptor)

ok, I already have all of the media vps.  I'll try moving the entire install onto C:\  if it doesn't work, I'll use the 3.6.5 and overwrite the old files.

My video card is Intel(R) 82865G graphics controller.

EDIT: ok, I deleted my complete fs2 game, started from scratch and put it in my C;\ folder.  Now, I replaced all of those outdates files you mentioned above with the 3.6.7 files.  It still shows an error when I put in the video files from kajorama's site so I deleted the videos again.  Now, I am downloading the vps.  Before I only had core, textures, and models.  I deleted them just in case they were outdated.

The link for mv_amodelspatch2.vp (150) doesn't work.  If I right click and try to save as, it turns out to be a php document.  Clicking it pops up a window with garbled characters.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:35:29 pm by diburning »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
An onboard graphics controller like that probably won't do anything very well, besides mv_core and mv_music. If it'll run fs2_open at all...
-C

ok, this is worse... I reinstalled freespace 2, installed 3.6.5 and replaced the old files with the new files, put in the media vps, then I get a ****load of error messages.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You can't run the 3.6.7 media VPs with the 3.6.5 exe. It just won't work. What happens with no media VPs?

I replaced the 3.6.5 exe with the 3.6.7 one

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Did that help any? If not, what errors is it displaying?
-C

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The link for mv_amodelspatch2.vp (150) doesn't work.  If I right click and try to save as, it turns out to be a php document.  Clicking it pops up a window with garbled characters.
When you see the garbled characters, hit File-Save As or Save Page As, make sure the "file of type" is all files (*.*) or text file (*.txt) if you can't do all files, and save it.  Then re-name to mv_amodelspatch2.rar  Alternatively, use http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ 's FDM, it will catch the link for you, and also is usually much faster to download.
My video card is Intel(R) 82865G graphics controller.
A fixable problem, if you want to pay for it:
Go to www.ebay.com and search for: BFG 5500 OC or the item numbers below.
8819595505 if you have an available AGP slot: buy now-44.99 + Free shipping .
if you don't have an AGP slot, but have a PCI slot:
8820527136 Buy Now-$78.xx or starting bid $.99 + 9.00 shipping and
8818989420 starting bid .01 + 13. shipping.

The above boards (item numbers) all have 256Mb on-board memory, watch out, some only have 128Mb.

The sellers for the above items have approval ratings above 99%.

Also, www.newegg.com has item N82E16814143059 , PCI BFG 5500 256M card for ~$65 after shipping.

If you don't know if you have AGP or PCI, search for your pavilion's model number, or post it here and I'll look for it and let you know, if you're interested in buying another card.

EDIT: PS There are other alternative cards out there, but I like BFG because they factory overclock the nVidia chipset and still have a lifetime warranty, because they use better parts & more cooling.  If you do look for another card, I'd still want to make sure it has at least 256Mb memory on-board, cause that makes it so you can display more textures, which FSOpen likes.  :) :nod:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Oh, crap I just realized:
karajorma, what happens if you try to run patch 3 w/out patch 2 installed?  That might be the problem.  @diburning, see if you can get patch 2 installed.