Author Topic: Disabling stray  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I have a problem with built-in straying system.
the problem is I'm experimenting with flying huge distances ,for example around 3D planets and after flying cetrain distance from the map center I stareted to receive stray messages ,and finally my ship blew up and it said I collided with Alpha 1 (me of course).
This also happened when I placed player to far away from map center.
Can you make a mission specs flag to prevent it such as "no stray" ,working similar to "no traitor" ?

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
There are better ways to do this, such as changing the player's view and moving stuff around behind his back.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Going too far from 0,0,0 is just asking for trouble with the physics engine. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes ,but I want to do a planet approach form 100km (Karman line) and I'm getting this message in approximately half of a distance to the ground.
It was and experiment ,I wanted to improve it later ,but there is no point in making a planet approach when command calls you a deserter and self-destructs your ship in half of a process.
Can you get increasing (or disabling) those limits in your schelude?
(not nessesarly for nightlies ,maybe for 3.7)
It would be nice to be able to land on planets in FS ,I though it's possible and this mission was going to be a first step.
I think if there will be no "deserter limit" ,planet landings would be possible ,I'm sure that atmospheric flight model is scriptable (I heard somebody even done it before) ,it should be also possible to script reentry flames.

For now can you give me the exact value of the distance from the zero point after which player becomes a deserter?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
700km for messages, 750km before you get blown up.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Great thanks Kajorama ,I again got more help than expected.  :)
When you posted those distances I double-checked all positioning and found out that I got 1000km above Earth ,not 100 as I wanted. (that means I ended up in Exosphre)
That makes what I wanted possible.
It also makes upping the "deserter limit" unnessesary unless you consider implementing this:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,61964.0.html
(my Newtonian flight model proposition) and somebody (most likely me  :) ) would want interplanetary travel.  :)
Though I already have an idea how to handle interplanetary travel without limit voilations or Newtonian flying (via red alert)
Anyway I would like to see Newtonian fligtht model AIProfile flag in 3.7.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
700km for messages, 750km before you get blown up.
I remember playing a mission in Solar Wars where the node was placed like 800km off of zero and you couldn't guard the ship without blowing up.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Don't even try 50k in multi.  Don't know what the exact distance is but multi will start doing really weird things like show ships in the wrong position, fire coming out of nowhere, etc. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
My bet is 32,767m

If I'm right, anything over that will cause strangeness.

If 50k does work but you remember something around that being dodgy, try 65,535m next.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
In my very first mission ( a multiplayer mission ) for the BtrL demo, i placed a Scaroid and the asteroid layer model.
It looked awesome ( i wondered always why the BtrL team never used the Astlayer in MP mission, 'til Karajorma explained it on GW ), but after each respawn i was very far away. I couldn't see the Scaroid anymore, nothing on Radar, same for the other players.

At least, my ship didn't explode.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, they say if you travel far enough, you'll meet yourself...

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
At above 40k, if you had a weapon that could reach far enough, you will also not get credited for any hits or kills you make. And blowing up friendlies (so long as they are greater than 40k away as well) will not make any other friendlies hostile towards you.

I don't yet have an exact measurement of the distance as, well, hitting anything at this range becomes an extreme exercises in patience.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
In multiplayer? Or does that affect SP too? Cause if it does the problem isn't what I thought it was. (or rather, that might not be the only problem).

Wondering about the strangeness you've been talking about, and that I have experienced I recruited by brother (uber-genius), and after some tests he concluded that the space is cut up into these 'space increments'. At 0,0,0 and surrounding area the increments are very small, somewhere around a thousandth of a meter, but the farther out you go, the space increments become larger and larger until it gets to the point where the huge inaccuracies hinder the programs ability to be able to accurately tell where missiles lasers and ships are.

My brother calculated the largest coordinate you could feed into the engine and it was somewhere around a dozen orders of magnitude past the in-game observable universe.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We know what causes the problem. A lot of the information in the game is stored as floats. Which only offer 6 figure precision IIRC. The further out you go from 0,0,0 the more significant figures you're going to need, simply to represent the distance in metres. Which means that once you go over a six figure number you're increasingly asking for trouble.