Author Topic: Rendering Engine Overhaul... Yea or naye?  (Read 10625 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Rendering Engine Overhaul... Yea or naye?
So, it seems that the FSO rendering engine is kind of outdated... even with the fairly recent addition of GLSL support, it fails at many simple things like proper draw order / depth sorting.

I, for one, believe that it would be better to attempt a ground-up rewrite of much of the rendering code, rather than be limited by the capabilities currently available, and having to deal with increasingly messy code as small patches and improvements begin to mess with each other. The idea is to do a big project now rather than suffering indefinitely from the obsolescence of the rendering engine.

I believe this is doable, mainly because it was done to give FSO OpenGL support.

Discuss.

I personally have a decent amount of experience with OpenGL, so I could in theory assist with such an endeavor, but since I'm in a year-round college, even during the summer I can only offer freelance contribution...

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Re: Rendering Engine Overhaul... Yea or naye?
Have fun.
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I am The E, and I like this.

First thing to do then would be to identify all the data that goes into the engine from the AI, player handling etc., as well as finding out what data it sends back out. Don't know a thing about rendering engine code, though, so I have no idea how much work would be involved...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Seems you don't know exactly what I'm talking about.  :(

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Lately inefficiency of texture rendering in fs2_open has been revealed to me. If anything, that part of the code needs serious overhaul. But like almost everyone here, I can't help at all.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think its something that should be done. but nothing im qualified to work on.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I think one should fix existing bugs first before taking on a greater challenge.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
what if the ancient rendering engine is the source of those bugs? :D i mean you can spend time debugging old, inefficient, poorly organized code, or you can use the time to re-code things which should have been deprecated years ago.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nighteyes

I totally agree :D
"stupid" things like not rendering large frame effects properly, not being able to have differant blending options for effects, and using to many resources to render a them...

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
What you say would apply if at least gameplay affecting bugs are fixed. Which isn't the case.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Since we're at this subject - if multile maps share the same normal map (or glowmap or shinemap), you still have to make a "different" one for each map, thus wasting much more memory and slowing things down.

Would it maybe be possible to somehow enable map sharing? (I dunno, like maybe a text file with the name of the "original" map, followed by the names of all other maps that share it's normals, glow or specular maps)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

What you say would apply if at least gameplay affecting bugs are fixed. Which isn't the case.

That said, sometimes we're having trouble tracking down those monsters - there's apparantly a laundry list of multi issues to look at soon as well (including behaviour changes from retail->FSO).

I'd support this endeavour - I had a look through some of the rendering code this afternoon and have barely recovered.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
If you do, it's branch time! And it would have to stay as a "branch" for a long, long time...

IMHO it's probably not really feasible, since so much of the game and modding functionality is built around the current rendering engine, quirks and all. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. :D

Offline Echelon9

Such efforts would almost certainly have to be undertaken in the context of a 3.7.x (or similar branch), with the note that backwards compatibility would be deprecated where it conflicted with the interests of re-design and re-coding of a modern OpenGL engine.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
IMHO this is a *must* for the long term developability of the engine. However as of right now, there are no qualified coders to carry out. Moreover this will be a long term project with results at a far off time...

...so yeah, branch it is, and time to learn OpenGL in a C++ environment. Another thing that could be done would be the objectification/modularization of the existing code to better suit further development.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

* portej05 dons armour and flak jackets, buys tank and thick concrete bunker
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Is it even possible to "rip out" the current engine and replace it with something better (the level of modularity that exists there)?
If it is, would it be possible to replace it with something that already exists?
If it isn't, won't the new engine be a mess too? Unless you rewrite a lot more than just the engine?

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I had a look through some of the rendering code this afternoon and have barely recovered.

;7

You just revlead that you have knowledge about rendering code... (run!)

But honestly, how should this be realized? When should the rewrite begin?

There are many more questions concerning this.
FS2 is multiplatform now, should we stick to OpenGL?
Which version? 3.0, 3.1, or the new 3.2?

I suppose we cannot just take another rendering engine with a suitable license and put it into the game without more effort than writing a new one.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have this itchy feeling Kazan will burst in any moment now yelling "Told ya so!" while holding a neon sign reading "Ferrium". ;)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You do have to wonder when conversation along these lines goes from "upgrading FS2_Open" to "coding a brand-new space sim engine." :p