Author Topic: Collision Detection Rewrites  (Read 10673 times)

Re: Collision Detection Rewrites
EDIT: I did try the patch for this, and consistently higher frames were had (60-75fps vs 45-50fps when the karuna gets gutted in the WiH intro)

Wow, I haven't thought that the performance gain would be that huge  :eek2:

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
EDIT: I did try the patch for this, and consistently higher frames were had (60-75fps vs 45-50fps when the karuna gets gutted in the WiH intro)

Wow, I haven't thought that the performance gain would be that huge  :eek2:

So far my Phenom II loves the new collision code, Props to Swifty.  :yes:

However, that is only one (however popular) benchmark. Still got stuff to try. I wish I could get shadows working with it, as that would kick the FPS low enough for real testing. When you get 120 or higher anyway in most things, it's hard to see the improvement. (Note to self: Find way to unlock FPS past 120)
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Remove VSync everywhere (including driver settings).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

VSync is 60 for me, unlocked in CCC and FSO is 120, probably a reg thing.

Oh, right, before I forget: Using swifty's build, if I go to the tech room, click missions, then back to ships, FSO freezes. No debug, no CTD, just dead. I'll run debug and see if I can get a partial log sometime tomorrow, unless someone else can get the same problem. (it was consistent, 3 times in a row)
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken
  • Powered by copious amounts of coffee and nicotine
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • PeceniPicek's own deviantart page

VSync is 60 for me, unlocked in CCC and FSO is 120, probably a reg thing.

Oh, right, before I forget: Using swifty's build, if I go to the tech room, click missions, then back to ships, FSO freezes. No debug, no CTD, just dead. I'll run debug and see if I can get a partial log sometime tomorrow, unless someone else can get the same problem. (it was consistent, 3 times in a row)
its something related to ibx file loading, from what i've managed to gather.
Ho, ho, ho, to the bottle I go
to heal my heart and drown my woe!
Rain may fall and wind may blow,
and many miles be still to go,
but under a tall tree I will lie!

The Apocalypse Project needs YOU! - recruiting info thread.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I am pretty sure FSO is locked at 120fps within the game engine
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I am pretty sure FSO is locked at 120fps within the game engine
I'm pretty sure I've seen screen with 800FPS, dunno if real or forged.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you disable Vsync, then it might be possible, if completely pointless. I don't know if it doesn't screw the beam damage and particle spews up though.

personally i prefer the collisions use the complete detailed motel actually instead of a lower end model, stuff like antennas and such are important to take onto account when colliding against stuff.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
personally i prefer the collisions use the complete detailed motel actually instead of a lower end model, stuff like antennas and such are important to take onto account when colliding against stuff.

thing with this is the high processor demand of such a system
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You're not making sense. What prevents you to keep the antenae on your collision mesh.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
You're not making sense. What prevents you to keep the antenae on your collision mesh.

I think what assasing123 is on about is using the detail0 to calculate collisions rather than a lesser detail level or a radius detection

What headdie said.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Using detail0 for collision detection is just a tiny bit inefficient, since you've got a whole bunch of poly's on the model. What's wrong with making a collision box that encompass the antennae/ detail geometry?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
having a stand alone collision mesh would be optimal so you have control over what collides and what doesnt. using lod0 it collides with everything, and using lod1 it collides with places that would be open on the main lod and miss other points of detail like the antennae structures mentioned above which have been ommitted. even then you can cull a huge number of polygons from the collision mesh. surely your 12 sided cylender your using as an antennea can be a simple 4 sided shape in the collision mesh, a small structure like that after all wont show much error in where the collision happens neither would most shallow greebles reduced to less complicated shapes. curved surfaces can be reduced by large amounts too.

really all you need to do is take the diaspora concept, and make the engine consider that arrangement when doing collision tests. what exactly where the issues with the diaspora method? it looked good on paper, its sad that it didnt pan out as intended. figure out why that didnt work, what issues they had, call em bugs and fix them. way id set it up is add a submodel prop to define a model as an explicit collision model, and add another prop to reference that model in the subobject it represents.

collision meshes would be given a named reference (granted it can use the submodel name or number, ommitting everything to the right of the :)
$colision model: somename
and on objects that use collision meshes they would use the named reference
$use collision model: somename

it would be considered an error to attempt to use a collision model as a sybsystem or any other kind of model or to attempt to render it.

-or- you could do this
$collision use lod: 1
for people who think that lod1 is enough and use that

i would allow both, for convenience.

or you can just use the diaspora conventions, but they are kind of cryptic and collision detection was not their intended function (such as colide_this_only was intended for objects you did not want to be collideable at all, not for redirecting collision detection to another model).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:02:08 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I don't see a need to mess with submodel props and stuff, really. Just have it work like this: if submodel A has a child submodel B named "collision" (or whatever), then use B as the collision mesh for A. Simple as pie.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Ideally, when making your ship, you'd just model LOD1 in such a way that it makes a good collision mesh. All problems solved.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I don't see a need to mess with submodel props and stuff, really. Just have it work like this: if submodel A has a child submodel B named "collision" (or whatever), then use B as the collision mesh for A. Simple as pie.

that also works i guess. my solution is probibly overkill.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Well, my idea does have the drawback that you couldn't recycle your LOD1 models (for example) as collision meshes but would have to add separate copies of those submodels. So, I think that an additional submodel prop with which you can tell which submodel to use as the collision mesh would still be needed.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
I tried the new exe for the collision detection rewrite and did n't notice any change in frame rate, in fact it seemed to go down.  But after looking at it, it seems it is due to the limitations in my video card (Nvidia GT120).  I noticed how ever that the burden on the processor went down.  I had been getting a lot of alerts saying I had high usage on the processor in the range of 99 to 100%.  While using the new exe, I got one alert for 86%.   
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.