Author Topic: The DX8.1 Engine Upgrade  (Read 21843 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by daveb
What the heck, I have code for this at home. I may just give it a shot.

Niice daveb.... good daveb... :p *hands daveb a cookie* :wink:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Anaz

sigh...I suppose I am gonna have to do the textured primatives...

oh well...there is a good article about it on gamedev.net
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

You know what we really need here? Any internal documentation V might have had for the graphics routines. That would make things a whole lot easier.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##
You know what we really need here? Any internal documentation V might have had for the graphics routines. That would make things a whole lot easier.

Try rephrasing that:

Originally posted by ##UnknownPlayer##
You know what we really need here? Any internal documentation V might have had -==-. That would make things a whole lot easier.

:D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
:nod::yes:

*tempted to derail topic*
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
:nod::yes:

*sniff*

:(

A moment of silence for those that have departed from amongst us... :wink:

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It hasn't departed, that's the original. :D Here's some proof.

And it was added by Steak...:(
-C

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I wonder if we'd be able to get this thing upgraded to dx8
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline RandomTiger

Big job but possible.
Would require a few coders to work together I reckon.
Also we would need a lot of support off the community for testing.

Offline Inquisitor

Start small. Things like the movie player is a start, then maybe move on to controls. Or the hardware detects stuff. Graphics are gonna have to be thought thru ;)

Basically, start with the easy stuff, DX is more than just graphics ;)

Last I checked, UP was deep into looking at the DX8 SDK, so, maybe we'll hear somethign from him soon :)
No signature.

Offline RandomTiger

We obviously need to update Direct3D (just see my poll in MOD forum). And we may have to do something about direct draw at some point.

But is there any need (at this time) to update direct sound, input or any other components of directX?

Offline Zarax

Not to be off topic...
But system requirements should be taken with the highest importance...
Not everyone here has a last gen pc...
I think that the average user may have an high-end pentium 2 to medium clock pentium 3 (about 650/700 mhz) and video cards ranging from voodoo 2 to geforce 2 mx (on average).
You should take something similar as target system requirement, by doing the right implementations or making many switches in the code, so that the game automatically detetcs the performance and adjust the graphic level (basically update the small utility that there was in the setup menu if it's still there).
I'm also against any changes that can bring compatibility isses with pof models...
If you don't keep compatibility there is an high risk of losing many great mods...

Just my two bits...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Zarax
Not to be off topic...
But system requirements should be taken with the highest importance...

They are in my mind

Not everyone here has a last gen pc...

I only have a P3 450 which I consider crap to be honest.
But polls have been done to identify HL members PCU speed, gfx card type and overall benchmark. So I think this is something developers have in mind.

so that the game automatically detetcs the performance and adjust the graphic level.

In my experience auto detects for PC games are usually rubbish. Most due to the fact they dont treat gfx and cpu power differently.
I would prefer to keep the power with the user as the FS series always has. Which also means less coding which is nice.

I'm also against any changes that can bring compatibility isses with pof models...
If you don't keep compatibility there is an high risk of losing many great mods...

What exactly has brought this worry on?

If we upgrade FS2 to DX8 then it may not work on win 95, but thats not our fault. Mircosoft has abandonned that OS.

As I see it and I hope this is the case, that the engine will remain back compatable but new features may not be avaliable to those with old tech, ie an old graphics card.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
I think in general, DX8 will help speed up some of the older machines too.  If you've got a decently recent video card with the latest drivers, this will probably boost performance.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Fry_Day

think that the average user may have an high-end pentium 2 to medium clock pentium 3 (about 650/700 mhz) and video cards ranging from voodoo 2 to geforce 2 mx (on average).

First of all, according to the system specs poll, this is wrong - more people have CPUs faster than 800MHz, and more people have T&L compatible cards (With the GeForce2 MX being the slowest of the pack) than people under the 'other' part, which I assume are all non-T&L capable (Even though there might be an odd S3 Savage 2000 (which has T&L)).
DX8 will mean SERIOUS preformance increases for anyone with a T&L capable card, and perhaps increases for non-T&L capable cards, since DirectX has indeed improved over the years.

Offline RandomTiger

I hope we dont have too many voodoos. I dont think direct X8.1 is going to get on well with them.

"Voodoo 3 only supports DirectX up to version 7 natively" PC Gamer

I just cant get my DirectShow8 code working properly on a voodoo 2.

You can get third party drives for v3 but I doubt they are perfect.

Serves you all right for buying voodoo's though. You should have bought TNT's (1 or 2) instead. But you bought voodoo's because their boxes were prettier and your stupid mates told you to, DIDNT YOU? (fools)

:mad: - Voodoo rant over -:mad:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2002, 09:18:28 am by 848 »

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by RandomTiger
I hope we dont have too many voodoos. I dont think direct X8.1 is going to get on well with them.

"Voodoo 3 only supports DirectX up to version 7 natively" PC Gamer

I just cant get my DirectShow8 code working properly on a voodoo 2.

You can get third party drives for v3 but I doubt they are perfect.

Serves you all right for buying voodoo's though. You should have bought TNT's (1 or 2) instead. But you bought voodoo's because their boxes were prettier and your stupid mates told you to, DIDNT YOU? (fools)

:mad: - Voodoo rant over -:mad:

I have a voodoo 3 2000 and I think it's a downright excellent card, it's a doddle to setup and drivers are plentiful and very stable, it was also pretty affordable. There's no question that in todays terms it's showing its age but I don't regret getting it instead of a TNT.

Getting mad about this is silly, anyone who's still running a voodoo card is most likely to own an older machine in any case which means that any significantly upgraded version of FS2 might not run well on their machine.
We can still add new functionality to the executable whilst keeping it compatable on older hardware so where's the problem?

Surely this only truely effects graphics related updates.

Offline RandomTiger

Originally posted by Maeglamor

I have a voodoo 3 2000 and I think it's a downright excellent card, it's a doddle to setup and drivers are plentiful and very stable, it was also pretty affordable. There's no question that in todays terms it's showing its age but I don't regret getting it instead of a TNT.

Im surprised you havent had any problems yet. Which drivers do you use, offical ones or third party? V3's only officially support up to DX7.

If you have drivers that are stable, reliable and complete for directX8 we could do with knowing which ones they are, perhaps v3 owners wont have to get left behind.

Voodoos are a nightmare to program for, I've had many bad experiences with them that have increased my hate of them.

Up until a few months ago I was using a TNT2 and still could play Max Payne, Medal of Honour, AvP2, black and white.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
I use 3rd party drivers and am currently running Dx8 on both my win95 and 2k partitions. Both sets of drivers are available on voodoofiles. The win 95 drivers are called 'Cuneyt to Adjusted 3dfx Voodoo3 Driver' and the win 2k drivers are 'Dozer 1.0 XP' both are very stable and come with Dx updates.