Author Topic: Image Sigs  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Can you prevent the length of sigs in the future? The scrolling issue was always going on my nerves, i really don't want to have that back. If people feel to make giant sigs, they should start a website to post that crap. The number of people reading it, will stay exactly the same by that : NONE  :wtf:
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Yes, SMF 2.0 allows enforcing both character limit and number of lines to old and new sigs alike. Karajorma already proposed limiting sig lines to 3, but a lot of people have much more than that, even Goober. Characters isn't reliable in controlling sig lengths because bbc tags and urls can take up a lot of space, lines on the other hand can be difficult to find a good compromise on.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Well, if you can, then I suggest to limit the (displayed ?) lines, because you are right that URL's can take quite some space.

Take my sig for instance. It's fine to me and I think the length is acceptable, but I wouldn't cry If I had to remove one line. Posting some sort of advertising of your project is the best usage of the sig. The other stuff is not really necessary.

On the other hand, I do not know how it turns out technically. Are huge sigs bad for the page buildup time ? Also I think I've seen another forum, where you can simply turn a switch in your user profile and no ones sig is displayed for you.

To be honest, I really don't care about people sigs.  If they are too long, it disturbs your reading flow (because I wanna read posts, not sigs), the only thing that I disliked is the scrolling problem, that was a bad solution IMO (and honestly, no one will have scrolled down the sigs on purpose just to read it, right ? :) ). Of course it's nearly impossible to make everyone happy, but it's an admins call in that :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As on the other forum you saw, you can disable sigs on HLP.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Oh great :) Problem solved for me :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
As on the other forum you saw, you can disable sigs on HLP.
Which I by the way do, the forums are much cleaner to read without sigs popping up everywhere.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Seconded, I also deactivated them now :) BTW Fury, even if unrelated to this thread here, pls take a look on the hosted support forum and add my new member. That would be appreciated :)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH