Author Topic: RELEASE - Shrouding the Light  (Read 75232 times)

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
RELEASE - Shrouding the Light
:ick:

Sometimes, I am very, very, very slow.

Okay, I think I've saved all the documentation. Thanks Goober!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 01:36:36 am by 1432 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, I just finished the campaign this evening, and I must say, it's absolutely fabulous. :) Some highlights:

Atmosphere - The campaign perfectly captured the FS1 feel... I felt like I was playing a classic FS1 campaign like Cardinal Spear or Awakenings.  It was almost epic.  The missions, aside from being stellar in their own right, also captured wonderfully the pre-beam era feel of cruiser-vs.-cruiser engagement, convoy assault and defense, fighter skirmish, and so forth.  I'm glad you're on TVWP, because this is exactly how I'd like the main war missions to feel. :)

Missions - Virtual perfection.  I found only one spelling mistake ("all right" is two words) and one design error (it's possible to destroy the Throckmorton the first time you see it if you disable it quickly) in the entire campaign, which is so far and above practically any other project I've seen released that it's in a design class by itself.  The story was rich and compelling, and the gameplay was loads of fun.  The only gripe I have is minor - some of those missions are hard!  I had to replay a couple of them several times, and that can get frustrating when you have to wade through all those messages again.  But the fun factor more than outweighs the balance factor.

SCP - I feel vindicated!  Here at last is a great campaign that extensively makes use of all kinds of new SCP features, many of which I added wondering if any campaign other than TVWP or MG would use them.  This campaign is the rousing endorsement I dared not hope for. :) Persistent variables were used to great effect with the Makara, and I saw numerous examples of the new sexps: distance-ship-subsystem, explosion-effect, play-sound-from-file, set-cargo, set-ship-position, set-ship-facing, ship-stealthy, friendly-stealth-invisible, change-ai-class, and probably a host of others I missed.  I was also thrilled to finally see in-game-cutscenes done - and done well.  (Though I have to ask... did you try using toggle-hud to get rid of the hud?)  Finally, the squad logos on the enemy wings was a great touch, one that makes so much sense it's easy to miss if you don't know it's a new feature. ;)

Thanks, BR.  Thanks for making a great campaign, and thanks for making the SCP look good at the same time. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 08:23:36 am by 561 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by StratComm
Why hasn't this been sticified/newsed/highlighted?  It's not everyday that a good campaign comes out.

Cuz I didn't know about it until just now. :p

Lightspeed, Goober, mind if I cannabalise your posts for a news post?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
And here I was, just missing the days when we used to give titles to people because they did stuff of note. ;) Awesome work BR, downloading now.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The missions weren't too hard Goober - they were just right IMHO :)

Correction - the new weapons (Fang, Havoc, Barracuda) were created by the FSPort, not Blaise Russel. Galemp developed them for his Vasudan Imperium campaign (currently in suspended development), and they have been available in the FSPort main download for several versions now.

Didn't know that. Still, good job  :)

I think I'll make a visual update when I get around to the FS1 ships, some of the visual effects are pretty messy.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The highlights have been messy for quite a while now - theres much more activity and highlight worthy stuff around here, but somehow it doesn't get highlighted anymore.

*points to Old Engine Client*

*points to Shrouding the Light*

*points to the FRED Academy*

*points to the RR release*

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Sandwich
Lightspeed, Goober, mind if I cannabalise your posts for a news post?
Fine by me. :)
Originally posted by Lightspeed
The missions weren't too hard Goober - they were just right IMHO :)
Then you're obviously a much better pilot than I am. :p They're more difficult than the standard FS1 or FS2 ones, at any rate.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
They're nowhere near as hard as FS1 on insane :)

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Whoa.

Sorry I missed this, work has been hell lately. Highlighted, as it bloody well deserves. :)
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Hot damn. A new campaign, and you didn't even tell me?

For shame. :p
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
The Path of the FRED Ninja is a lonely and silent one.

*ninjes*

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
and a continually impressive one :)
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Oh, an Inferno avatar :blah:

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
Where'er there be missions to FRED, there I am also.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Problem with Inferno is - you'll end up redoing all missions from scratch. This in turn causes your time for TVWP and other projects to be minimized :blah:

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
!

I can FRED harder, and faster. 'Sides, for the foreseeable future, it's only these two I'm concerned with. Gotta make up the time spent FREDding STL to youse guys. :nervous:

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Well, it has the advantage that, knowing your skills, the next Inferno release might even be any good. :)

Inferno is good. But yeah, BR superb mission design/FREDing skills will add tremendously to it.

BTW, Nice custom title, Campaign King ;)
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
He made this campaign for my birthday. :D :lol:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist