Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 98388 times)

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
I've made more additions and, based on CT's input, decided to rearrange and sneak Aftermath earlier into the list.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
@CT27: Oh, I might have misremembered the timeline then.

Also for a general warning, I'd like to suggest that Aftermath Reboot should be taken... with a bunch of salt. At least the early parts. Also the later parts have some really satisfying missions, even if not very fancy, mechanically or storytelling wise.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I'm excited to announce that the first video in the playlist has crossed YouTube's 301 view threshold for being eligible for the algorithm! :D

Thank you all for your continued viewership and support. Please tell any friends who might enjoy the game or streamers in general to give the series a look so that our passion for this game can reach an even broader audience.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

This is really nice. Keep going! :D

As for other things that Might be interesting for you, you could also consider using the Jaded's FS2 mod thingy. I don't think it needs restarting the campaign, too, but I'm not sure. What it introduces is most importantly the HUD icon script (thread with a couple screens and a video) and the screencam script (lets you pause the game and roam your camera around freely for the best screenshot experience). There's also a set of radar icons for your standard radar, but I don't really know much about how it is executed differently from my own attempt some time back.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Joshua Richards on YouTube was kind enough to comment letting me know that he'd spoken directly to Goober5000 about Secret Recovery in Silent Threat, and perhaps there is some investigation or playtesting to see what the hubbub is. Hoping it's something relatively simple. I decided to give the mission a try again today on Medium, and sure enough, it's brutal. For science, I'm now going to give it a try on Easy before getting some sleep prior to tomorrow's stream.

On that note, I hope you're all looking forward to the SOC Loop. :P

EDIT: Nope, just as stupid on Easy, except I can actually make it through about 3 waves before I get overwhelmed and Epsilon 1 gets wiped out despite seemingly having all fire focused on me. It's weird, too, because I thought it was going pretty well up to that point. Maybe 2.5 minutes before things went to ****.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 01:39:48 am by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

In the meanwhile, I have quickly put together a couple table hacks for you. You should put these files into <mod library>/FS2/data/tables (create directory if needed). This should apply the changes to every mod you play regardless of the version of MVPS you use.

The Ai_profiles.tbl file has a flag that fixes the issue with shields randomly being penetrated, and the Game_settings.tbl file has an extra from me, in this file I scaled down the pain flashes a little bit (found them to be a little obstructive) and enabled the shield pain flashes at a similar intensity. That means that when you are hit against your shields, your screen will flash blue in Terran and yellow in Vasudan fighters.

With the couple improvements here and the bunch of things I tossed at you earlier in this topic, I hope I gave you a bunch of resources to improve the quality of your streams.

Just in case, test these out before the stream and remember that the forum attachments disappear after a couple days.

[attachment deleted to save space]
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I cannot for the life of me find any way to force Knossos to download new builds of FSO. Even if I go and get the nightly build myself and manually create the directory structure (which is probably named wrong anyway), it will not recognize that the build exists. FSOInstaller is out of date as well.

Is there no streamlined way to update FSO builds?
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Normally, you wouldn't want to have the latest Nightly through Knossos. Every mod has its own tried-and-true version it was tested on. It comes down the mod's download.

If you want the latest Nightly anyway, just run it through wxLauncher. This method works really well, trust me, that's how I FRED for Fate of the Galaxy.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Ah, I was mostly trying to take advantage of control5 (or whatever it was called Mito was talking about on-stream), but I'd rather not tamper with my setup if 21.3 will eventually hit stable anyway. I'm just really eager for the global configurations, but I'll try to sit on my hands for now.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Can you download the latest nightly, rename it to match the file in knossos, then copy /paste thr nightly over it?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I did that at first, but it felt very "hacky", so I've decided to just sit on my hands for now and exercise patience. A daunting task for me, to be sure. :)
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Stumps. Also I watched that part with the Tiamat in slow-mo. Your support ship drifted right into your line of fire and sat there getting pummeled by Tempests lol

Hidden Text: Show
0:00:00 - Pre-Stream Banter
0:04:19 - SOC Mission #1: Rebels & Renegades
0:23:06 - SOC Mission #2: Love the Treason...
0:43:33 - SOC Mission #3: ...But Hate the Traitor
0:52:27 - Mission #1: Battle of the Wilderness
1:19:10 - Mission #2: A Game of TAG
1:34:56 - Mission #3: Proving Grounds
1:56:35 - ALL UNITS, TERMINATE THE TRAITOR!
2:14:00 - Cutscene: Bosch Monologue 2
2:15:40 - Mission #4: The King's Gambit
2:34:32 - Mission #5: The Sicilian Defense
2:44:29 - Mission #6: Endgame
2:53:20 - Avoid the beam and you won't get hit, pilot!
2:59:41 - Mission #7: The Fog of War
3:16:14 - Cutscene: Bosch Monologue 3
3:17:47 - Mission #8: A Monster in the Mist
3:33:54 - Mission #9: Speaking in Tongues
3:53:03 - Mission #10: A Flaming Sword
4:06:46 - Post-Stream Banter

Regarding nightlies. Make sure you have "Show Engines Builds in Mod List" ticked on in Settings>Knossos, and make sure you're checking for the new builds in the FSO mod via the Explore tab.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Joshua Richards on YouTube was kind enough to comment letting me know that he'd spoken directly to Goober5000 about Secret Recovery in Silent Threat, and perhaps there is some investigation or playtesting to see what the hubbub is. Hoping it's something relatively simple. I decided to give the mission a try again today on Medium, and sure enough, it's brutal. For science, I'm now going to give it a try on Easy before getting some sleep prior to tomorrow's stream.

Colt and I did a bunch of testing on Secret Recovery, and I even fired up FS1+ST to try the original version.  We didn't find a smoking gun (although Colt did find an unrelated mission bug that only affected FS2 retail).  But one significant finding was that the original FS1+ST mission was almost as bad.  It was really difficult to complete the mission, and I kept either getting killed or losing Epsilon 1.

I did notice that the enemy target selection was fairer in FS1+ST, because the Thoths weren't always ganging up on me.  But I don't know what parts of the AI code could have affected that.

(It's also worth noting that, because of the improvements to missile tracking in the FS2 engine, the mission would be harder even if the AI were identical.)

Offline Mito [PL]

I should've explained this earlier but to be frank, I didn't expect you to rush into this immediately. So, that's how you do it:

Enter Knossos settings (gear icon in the topright corner), and in 'Knossos' section, change "Preferred engine stability" to Nightlies and mark the "Show engine builds in mod list" checkbox, hit Save, and go to Explore tab. Locate the FSO mod, and hit Update. (If you for some reason want to grab a specific, not the latest build, you only need to enter the "Details" page, change the version in the top left corner, and then hit Install. You could technically install every single previous build that way. But for you, just the latest should suffice, I think.) Once the downloading proccess is done, if you navigate to any mod's FSO Settings, you should have a new build to choose. You might need to carry over the settings, though (although there's a handy "Global flags" section in Knossos settings, with just as handy of a "Apply to all" button.

Although for the insight on how to use the improvements, I'd rather have someone from the FSO dev tam hop in with a quick explanation.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Thanks guys! I didn't even know what that checkbox was about when I first set up Knossos. Running on the latest nightly now (and not necessarily going to update every night because I know how YMMV that can be in development when you need a stable platform). I too will wait with bated breath before touching things to see if someone more knowledgeable about the global control configs drops by.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Colt and I did a bunch of testing on Secret Recovery, and I even fired up FS1+ST to try the original version.  We didn't find a smoking gun (although Colt did find an unrelated mission bug that only affected FS2 retail).  But one significant finding was that the original FS1+ST mission was almost as bad.  It was really difficult to complete the mission, and I kept either getting killed or losing Epsilon 1.

I did notice that the enemy target selection was fairer in FS1+ST, because the Thoths weren't always ganging up on me.  But I don't know what parts of the AI code could have affected that.

(It's also worth noting that, because of the improvements to missile tracking in the FS2 engine, the mission would be harder even if the AI were identical.)
When I last played through the Port a couple of years ago, I made myself suffer through the original ST, and I found a few of the missions to be substantially easier compared to retail FS1, with Secret Recovery being one of them. I wound up swapping to a Zeus, and I was surprised at how easy it was to deal with the Thoths on Medium. It could have just been the missile tracking helping my wingmen be more effective.

Offline CT27

Would you consider two more campaign suggestions to do at some point?

Fall Of Epsilon Pegasi (during FS2)
Warzone (four years after FS2)

Both of those are generally well liked around here I believe.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I've added Warzone and Fall of Epsilon Pegasi to the maybe list. More info on them from other members would be helpful. Also, if someone wants to look over the current list and see if I've missed any high quality must plays, let me know.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
I've added Warzone and Fall of Epsilon Pegasi to the maybe list. More info on them from other members would be helpful. Also, if someone wants to look over the current list and see if I've missed any high quality must plays, let me know.
Both of these are good campaigns.

JtEP is set during FS2, right before the Colossus is deployed at Enif Station. It features a mix of VA and TTS, but more of the former iirc. It's around 10 missions long.

Warzone is a fully VA'd campaign that takes place 4 years after FS2 and is set in the same continuity as Derelict (though oddly the events of Warzone aren't mentioned in Derelict). I haven't checked, but I've heard Warzone is bugged and awaiting a checkup. It's got a length of 19 missions.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I may have slipped up on my timelining based on events "during" FreeSpace or FreeSpace 2, so if anyone sees anything out of place or overlapping in a weird way, let me know. I'd like to have things during the game timelines sort of flow logically. Of course I guess we could also just do it Monogatari style and throw chronology out the window. :p
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube