Author Topic: Am I the only one who's not a fan of the Perseus?  (Read 7829 times)

Am I the only one who's not a fan of the Perseus?
It seems like wherever I go, the thing gets glowing reviews. For me...it's just not maneuverable enough. I need something on the level of a Pegasus, or more firepower to make up for it. I mean, sure, it gets the job done, but it's not any fun to fly.

peggy best ship btw

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: Am I the only one who's not a fan of the Perseus?
Dont treat the Perseus as a replacement Valkyrie, stat wise it is a replacement Apollo and compared to what you have at that stage of the game it is massively better than anything else in the roster as a general purpose fighter, which is sad as there is no real interceptor in FS2
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Well I mean sure, it's loads better than, say, the Myrmidon. I just prefer things like the Loki, for example. The Perseus doesn't have that extra edge of turn speed that I need for the ship to feel right.

Of course, if you just want to be effective, you grab a heavy fighter and all the missiles you can hold. That's pretty much what the game was build for.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm happy with my small Loki.
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Once you start playing against Fury AI the battlespace optima moves away from heavy fighters and missiles towards agile gunfighters, turrets, and interceptors with linear speed. As the AI's capabilities approach human capabilities, shields and hull stop being effective defenses.

Target profile also becomes a big deal.

Offline Vrets

The Loki would be a great fighter if it could carry appreciable amounts of missiles.  It has good speed, good agility, tough shields (400!), and a big capacitor for its primaries.

Perseus not agile enough? Go for the Ulysses. It has always been my favorite fighter on higher difficulties. Nothing can touch it...you can hit afterburners and do a corkscrew maneuver and be untouched even on head-on passes.

Target profile also becomes a big deal.

When facing ships with wide gunpoints like the Thoth, you can orient your Ulysses s.t. your ship's thin hull is perpendicular to the Thoth's thin hull (like a "+" symbol) and its primaries will miss you.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
It seems like wherever I go, the thing gets glowing reviews. For me...it's just not maneuverable enough. I need something on the level of a Pegasus, or more firepower to make up for it. I mean, sure, it gets the job done, but it's not any fun to fly.

peggy best ship btw

Enemy number one spotted! Launch a wing of Perseus, and blast him to pieces!
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Well I mean sure, it's loads better than, say, the Myrmidon. I just prefer things like the Loki, for example. The Perseus doesn't have that extra edge of turn speed that I need for the ship to feel right.

The Loki's only a hair more manoeuvrable than the Perseus in the tables.

The Perseus is probably the only retail fighter I really enjoy flying, except maybe the Pegasus.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Vrets

Why no Ulysses appreciation?

The Ulysses has had a tough life, culminating in the ultimate indignity: replacement by the Myrmidon.

The Ulysses will rise again!

edit: soon I will release my campaign, "THE ULYSSES RERISES" in which the only playable ship is the Ulysses

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I ain't so much of a fan of the Perseus either,I'm more of a heavy fighter fan,so Hercs,Erinyes and Ares are my thing,just load them with trebs,harpoons or tornadoes and blast anything you see.I don't mind taking a Loki,Pegasus,Perseus or Myrmidon,but they ain't really my thing,as they don't have good enough armament to satisfy my needs.As for Ulysses...piece of junk,I'd rather take something that turns as good as
TSJ Icanus,but at least has armor,shields and weapons.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Ulysses is good. To be honest, I'm not terribly fond of 2-2 gun mounts in general. They just don't hit very hard. It's all so underwhelming. I'd prefer a setup like the Thoth's, but the Thoth's hardpoints are so wide...

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
I like the Perseus. I also like a lot of the other fighters mentioned here. I don't like the Ulysses or the Thoth, which can't take very much punishment, especially in FS2.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Ulysses' four guns are ok,they can be used,however armor,shields and secondaries are way too bad for my liking,if it had,say Valkrye's speed and missile capacity and Herc's armor and shielding it would be a good space superiority and interceptor.

Well yes, if you had a ship that was fast, durable and heavily-armed it'd be good at everything.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The Nyx isn't good at not getting Slammered :smugdog:

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
You have the Tauret and the Erynies...not so fast,but durable and heavily armed.

The Nyx isn't good at not getting Slammered :smugdog:

Nothing's good at that except corvettes, and that's only because you buffed their armour!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I don't like the Uly because its missiles points are too wide to use tempests (or any other dumbfire missile), which is fairly crippling.

The Perseus is a fine space superiority fighter (it's a "strictly-better" Apollo by TCG definitions), but if its pushed into interception it doesn't quite have have the speed.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I find that the Apollo is more one step away from "Space Superiority" in the direction of "Assault", while the Perseus is one step away from the "Interceptor" role in the direction of "Space Superiority", which is why it's called an "Interceptor Fighter".  The fact that the Herc. II is faster, more agile and carries more missiles than the Herc.I but is durable, I feel puts it also one stop towards the "Space Superiority" class from its listed "Heavy Assault" class.  The Erinyes' greater speed but lower hitpoints and missile capacity might classify it as something like a "Strike Fighter", meant to get in fast, hit hard, and then get out before it takes too much damage.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Yes, you are!

I don't like the Ulysses because it is literally too responsive for small targets like Dragons. My hit ratio drops because I can't track them smoothly.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story