Author Topic: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!  (Read 148153 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: semi-sub-offitial hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
i know theres a way to mod in custom ships on a mission to mission basis. seen it done a couple times. unfortunately i never figured out how.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

El Fínix se mooooooooooooooorió. ;)

(click the thumbnail)

I found that D2X-XL only supports the hires Pyro-GL and Phoenix player ship models (tried the Magnum AHT and third-party... no go).  D2X-XL doesn't like OGF textures, so I took the ones from the original Phoenix and a bovinified version (obtained from http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files/d3/mods/ship.asp, by JMEaT) and converted them to TGA.  I left the OOF models alone.

I've attached the Phoenix and the Cow.  I don't think there is a modular way to load these ships from within D2X-XL yet, so the way to do it is:
1) If you haven't already, create a /models subdirectory in your D2X-XL folder.
2) Stick the folders from the zip, /phoenix and /cow, in the /models directory.
3) Take all the files of the desired ship model out of their folder and stick them directly in the /models directory.  Be sure that there are no other model files in the directory at the time.

Pretty cumbersome, but it works :)

EDIT: The hires Pyro is available from Diedel's website, http://www.descent2.de.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:56:33 pm by fsi.scsi »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I think Diedel was working on support for hi-res model support or something like that...

Offline karx11erx

• D2X-XL and DLE-XP coder
    • Descent 2 & D2X-XL
Hires model and texture support hasn't been ceased or given up. It's just that nobody creates any new models or hires textures (I'd really love to have a complete texture set ... ::)) If I'd get a full set of hires Descent 2 textures, I would look into texture compression to improve hires texture management.

You can place more hires models in the models folder. Actually it is the place for the currently available hires gun models as well. All you need to do to use other OOF format models in place of the hires pyro is give it the filename of the currently supported hires pyro and store the textures used by that model in the models folder in uncompressed TGA format.

To replace other models (robots) I would have to add code to overload the existing models with hires ones.

The method to replace Descent 2 models was to create a new model using a model editor (Polytron), place that model in a custom model (hxm) file using a hxm editor (haxmedit), assign the id of the model to be replaced to the replacement model, and put the hxm file in the hog file containing the level that should use it. Polytron is a biotch to use however, and doesn't support really detailled models. You also cannot use hires (TGA) textures with it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:03:50 am by karx11erx »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i remember polytron, i recal making about 4 or 5 models in, it including a replacement for the pyro. i managed to get some custom robots to work. never actually released it and then lost everything in a hard drive failure. now this was a really long time ago, around the time the fs2 demo was put out. after that i just sorta focused on making freespace models.

i did actually go back and make some more models in truespace which i converted with cob2pm. and i still have those. the descent network has many if not all robots in a truespace cob format. was simply thinking about reskining and converting those. but i never found the time. i have too many hobbies.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
 :bump:

Major thread necromancy

Anyone wanna start this up again, say June second, at 7:00 Pacific / 10:00 Eastern?

Can anyone host?

:necro:

I've always wanted to do that!

But sure, I'm game.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its spelled nekr0, here ill use it in a sentace

kvltgr1mtr00nekr0!!!!!!1111oneone. :D

i really wish i had time to play, i need to seriously clone myself or get some slave labor to fill in for me at work.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Works for me. I have two more weeks of college left and then I'm done with it for good, with four months off before I have to start planning for graduate school.

I don't think we'll be able to return to the old days of last summer, when we were having a game practically every night, but I'm guessing people will have much more free time once the academic year ends. I haven't seen watsisname around here in a while, but we can probably ask simX to join us again.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
As long as I can get it running right on my computer again, count me in.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Offitial=Official bee tee doubleyou.

But nobody cares and it was probably intentional.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Ha, hadn't even noticed that until now.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I noticed that back when the thread was created. Maybe an admin could fix it?

This has actually become the fourth largest thread in HLP history, by the way. Just goes to show how frequently we once used to play. :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Contact Nuke, tell him to use the "Modify" link on his first post & change the subject.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
oops, dont blame me, firefox didnt have spell check back then :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Re: semi-sub-official hlp super happy descent 2 multiplayer action!
Nuke:  go here.  Hit the "Modify" button.  Change the subject line.  Hit "Save".  ;)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i guess you neglected to see that i already fixed it.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
:lol:

Nuke: go here...
« Reply #1075 on: May 10, 2007, 02:49:12 AM »  (by jr2)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:36:06 AM by Nuke »

--you're right, my bad.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Just bumping this back up as a reminder. Hopefully we can get some games going on June 2, as suggested earlier.

Hmm... June 2nd is graduation day... don't know if I can be on.  :(
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"