Author Topic: Mac: Black Screen, sounds all I get  (Read 1314 times)

Mac: Black Screen, sounds all I get
I installed Diaspora on my Macbook, which runs Freespace2Open just fine, but all I get when I start is a black screen.  I can hear the sounds, but nothing else. 

Running Mac OS 10.6.8.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:24:38 pm by JohnstonMR »

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Re: Mac: Black Screen, sounds all I get
A debug log, please? See these instructions. You can select the debug build of the engine from the box labeled "FS2 Open executable:" in the launcher's Basic Settings tab.

Also, what graphics card, CPU, and amount of RAM do you have? You can find this information by clicking on "About this Mac" from the Apple icon menu in the upper-left of the screen. You might need to click on "More info" and then go I think it's "Graphics/Displays" to find out what graphics card you have.

If you can't find the graphics card info, don't worry, it should be in the debug log.

Sorry, should have remembered all that. 

Uh, I'll save you a little time and admit that I've got an integrated Intel GMA 950 graphics chip, which I guess is probably my problem.  I'd missed the part of the release announcement that said that wouldn't work until I went looking for the Windows version a minute ago. And saw it needed a dual core, so that's out too. Ah well!  So that's probably the issue; I guess you guys upped the graphics more than FS2_Open has (I can run that perfectly). 

Just in case that's NOT the issue, I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8, 2.16 Core 2 Duo CPU, 1GB RAM.  Log is attached. 

Guess I need to upgrade soon. 

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Hm 1 GB of RAM also isn't enough (at least 2 GB is required), but yeah the Intel GMA 950 simply won't work for Diaspora. Sorry.