Author Topic: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)  (Read 115471 times)

Offline wesp5

Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
I've got no idea how you ended up with a structure so messed up.

If I remember correctly I had some issues installing SVN, maybe that what they are from.

Either way, deleting the question marked folders is a good idea.

Done! Interesting enough the game always uses the most top folders which is why I assumed the others were not needed.

Offline wesp5

Re: TBP 3.5 Work in Progress (Split from Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch 2.0 released!)
Update: If I remove the subfolders with question marks in the data folder the game crashes with error messages like mouse cursor or fonts missing! Luckily I only moved them to the temp_folder. But where should these go? Can someone post a screenshot of their whole Knossos, or at least TBP directory structure here?

Also as we are on a new page now, I can't continue testing the Raider Wars campaign because in the 13th mission "Hide and Seek / Run and Hide" I don't find the exit area. So how do I target a Nav Beacon?

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I'll post a screenshot if necessary when I'm back at my computer but discarding all local changes should fix your directories.
Is M13 the one where you scan the raider base?  If so, you're not supposed to target the beacon.  If memory serves, just fly to it and eventually you should be able to jump out or a rescue ship might jump in.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Offline wesp5

I'll post a screenshot if necessary when I'm back at my computer but discarding all local changes should fix your directories.

How do I do that? As I wrote, just deleting the folders doesn't work, so they probably should be elsewhere...

Is M13 the one where you scan the raider base?  If so, you're not supposed to target the beacon.

The problem is I can't find it and I had hoped that targeting it would show where it is.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
No, they shouldn't exist at all.  The SVN structure currently works, so whatever is going wrong is specific to your installation.  I've attached what it should look like.
To revert all local changes, right click in the root TBP folder and in the Tortoise SVN submenu, select Revert.  Select all files and then right click and hit Revert.  Also hit the Delete unversioned items button.
If, after you do this, you still can't run the game, don't try to restore anything.  There are better ways of fixing it than intentionally breaking your SVN directories.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq

[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship

Offline wesp5

The SVN structure currently works, so whatever is going wrong is specific to your installation.  I've attached what it should look like.

I have removed everything so that my setup looks exactly like this and TBP crashes right at the start because it can't find the cursor bitmap. Maybe my top folder is messed up too? I have exclamation marks on both the TBP and the TBP 3.5.1 subfolders and a lot of question marks on all the top level folders except of .tfn, to be exact on the bin, certifi, data, Include, lib2to3, PyQt5 and temp folders.

P.S.: For now I will continue with my setup as otherwise I would have to restart the whole campaign! Also I added a hotkey to the nav beacon and the base in the mission that I had problems with and commited it just now.

P.P.S.: I finished the campaign with no other issues! I did add some hotkeys for Erin's ship and the Medusa carrier in the last mission though, and again fixed many minor subtitles inaccuracies. Everything has been commited!

So we only have the movie warning and the "Warning: For ship "EA Cargo Pod 1" detail level mismatch. Table has 1, POF has 3. File ship.cpp." issue to fix, if we assume the "Null vec3d in ved3d normalize. Trace out of vecmat.cpp and find offending code. File: vecmat.pp. Line: 434" issue is random, then TBP could be released on Knossos with "Raider Wars" as main campaign! I would suggest to also include the "Io Traning Wing" as main tutorial and the two First Ones mini campaigns. The Starfury Pilot missions and the Achen Flying School should be distributed as single missions. After that I will probably reinstall Knossos and everything to get rid of my folder chaos...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:52:28 am by wesp5 »

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
That sounds like you installed TBP to the Knossos app directory, which, for future reference, you should definitely not do.  The FSO and the FS data files should be completely separate from where the Knossos app is installed.  Right now, your installation is so bad the easiest way of fixing it might be completely removing and reinstalling everything like you said.
Achen should be left as a campaign since it's currently the default campaign, which is desirable for people who are first playing Freespace.  We can change the default training campaign to Io but I don't see a good reason to make Achen into a techroom mission only.
Personally, I'd rather not start including more campaigns in the initial release, since that's just more for us to test.  Pretty much all major projects have multiple testers, so before we release I'd like to run through it myself (I'm playing a mission a day and I have a bunch of free time coming up, so I can step it up soon).
I'll fix the detail level warning today.
Also I seem to remember a warning about missing weapons in the atmospheric mission that I'm not sure has been fixed, so I'll look into that when I get there.

Offline wesp5

That sounds like you installed TBP to the Knossos app directory, which, for future reference, you should definitely not do.

Really? I'm pretty sure I installed it into Knossos as I thought this was the main folder for all FSO games and mods.

Achen should be left as a campaign since it's currently the default campaign, which is desirable for people who are first playing Freespace.  We can change the default training campaign to Io but I don't see a good reason to make Achen into a techroom mission only.

Please test Io, in my eyes it's the much more complete training campaign and it is indeed a campaign. Achen is just one single mission!

Personally, I'd rather not start including more campaigns in the initial release, since that's just more for us to test.

No problem. I have tested and fixed them, they are in the temp folder and you can move them to main whenever you like!

I'll fix the detail level warning today.

Great!

Also I seem to remember a warning about missing weapons in the atmospheric mission that I'm not sure has been fixed, so I'll look into that when I get there.

I can't remember anything there. But speaking of which, that was the hardest mission in the whole campaign! First my squad didn't react to my ordering them to attack the station until the Zephyrs were gone which didn't even appear at the start. Can you check if this is intended? Second and more global, the station had no problems shooting through it's own walls and towers which made hiding impossible and looked rather unrealistic! Can this be fixed?

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Knossos itself is just an app, just like Steam.  You should not touch its own program folder.  It has a game data directory, that it manages.  It should be different and outside of the Knossos program folder.  It should not be in Program Files, etc, where the Knossos app is likely installed.  Knossos does most of the managing of that game data folder, but you can set up a mod inside of that folder.  I believe that should be started within Knossos by creating a new mod there (under the Development tab), and then putting the TBP SVN checkout contents inside of that newly created mod, which would be under the Knossos Game Data/TBP/ folder.  I _think_ that's how it's intended to work anyway.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline wesp5

Knossos itself is just an app, just like Steam.  You should not touch its own program folder.  It has a game data directory, that it manages.  It should be different and outside of the Knossos program folder.

This is kind of stupid then, especially compared with Steam, which installs all games inside the Steam folder! I expected Knossos to do the same...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
What do you mean?  Steam can definitely have a data folder outside of its own program folder.  https://www.pcworld.com/article/3194504/how-to-change-where-steam-installs-your-pc-games.html

Also, while Steam is quite old by game market standards (being the first one I can remember), Knossos was made with cross-platform support in mind.  Other platforms such as MacOS can't install games into a bundled .app so you end up needing to specify a location such as your user folder, etc for games.  Honestly I figured the fact that Knossos asks where you want to put your games would hint that the Knossos folder itself is _not_ a sensible location or it would have been the default.

GOG Galaxy also has a mechanism for specifying this.  https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articles/212806885-How-do-I-change-where-my-games-should-be-installed-and-where-I-want-to-download-files-
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline wesp5

Honestly I figured the fact that Knossos asks where you want to put your games would hint that the Knossos folder itself is _not_ a sensible location or it would have been the default.

It gave no warning and I don't want my HD cluttered with surplus folders. So I assumed that all Knossos games could very well be installed inside the Knossos folder! Which indeed they can, as TBP works fine from within. Only the SVN setup obviously expects the game folder to be elsewhere...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm not quite sure it's as simple as that yet.  If you do have the TBP SVN data folder alongside the TBP beta folder downloaded by Knossos I still believe it would work, as well as any other mod would.  So just to clarify: the TBP folder under Knossos is the home for all TBP-based mods, and should only contain other folders representing versions of mods installed under the TBP total conversion.  If you have the TBP beta installed it would be under the TBP folder named TBP-3.5.1, for instance.  So the SVN version should probably be alongside that folder, named something like TBP_svn or something?  Or is it at the same level as the root TBP folder inside Knossos?

Offline wesp5

If you have the TBP beta installed it would be under the TBP folder named TBP-3.5.1, for instance.

This is the case, althought I always wondered why this is another subfolder. Shouldn't the final version be just inside the TBP folder?

So the SVN version should probably be alongside that folder, named something like TBP_svn or something?

No, I figured it would make most sense if I actually updated any beta files that I fixed. So the SVN works out of the beta folder itself. Maybe that is the problem...

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Honestly I am not sure about the workflow there.  But the reason for the multiple TBP folders is in case it needs multiple versions installed to satisfy mod deps.  I've already seen it have 3.5.0 and 3.5.1 installed alongside one another.

If you are just working on pushing things into svn I'd keep them (svn and beta folders) completely separate.  If you are the one pushing new versions of the beta to Knossos, I am not sure what kind of workflow you'd want.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
This is the case, althought I always wondered why this is another subfolder. Shouldn't the final version be just inside the TBP folder?
The core_effects, core_interface, etc. folders are for the various packages. Just like the MediaVPs (MV_Root, MV_Music, MV_Advanced, etc.). Knossos needs those folders to know which files to put in which archive when uploading later on. The end-user won't have those folders after installing TBP and instead will have a single folder with a data subfolder and/or VPs.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Exactly. In the final version these will end up just being VPs. That's the main reason you also have data/data. The end user will just have a folder called data instead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

Exactly. In the final version these will end up just being VPs. That's the main reason you also have data/data. The end user will just have a folder called data instead.

Okay, then I'll keep it like it is for now because testing and updating SVN works fine and hope that the first real release will clean up my folder structure :)!

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
I finished testing Raider Wars and found a few minor issues that I'll fix.
Ones that I want feedback on before changing are:
In M15, 16 and 17, Alpha wing has an illegal Panther secondary.  We can replace these either with another missile (probably the Venom) or give the Badger and Aurora access to it.
Also in M15, the player self destructs if he goes more that 7500m from the base, which happened to me because I was chasing enemy fighters.  We can either enlarge the distance or just remove the check altogether (probably the better option, since I don't see a good reason to have it).
One warning I haven't see reported is "Animation 'sb_hyperspace.eff' has images that have a different number of mipmaps (currently at frame 14).Performance could be improved by giving all frames the same number of mipmaps." (https://fsnebula.org/log/5c8c9a19cb0d33530ac8bab3).  It doesn't seem to affect anything significantly though.
I'll test IO training in the next few days.
Edit:  the first mission is somewhat buggy and unlike ASF, it assumes you know all the keybinds already.  Plus the voice-acting isn't as good.  We could fix it up but personally I wouldn't let it hold up a release.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 01:26:38 am by PIe »

Offline wesp5

In M15, 16 and 17, Alpha wing has an illegal Panther secondary.  We can replace these either with another missile (probably the Venom) or give the Badger and Aurora access to it.

Is there any official info on this or are these makeup missiles for TBP? In the latter case I would say just give them access.

Also in M15, the player self destructs if he goes more that 7500m from the base, which happened to me because I was chasing enemy fighters.  We can either enlarge the distance or just remove the check altogether (probably the better option, since I don't see a good reason to have it).

I would agree to remove the check.

I'll test IO training in the next few days.
Edit:  the first mission is somewhat buggy and unlike ASF, it assumes you know all the keybinds already.  Plus the voice-acting isn't as good.  We could fix it up but personally I wouldn't let it hold up a release.

No problem. I only included that because it was from MAG and I already fixed his single missions...