Author Topic: Official: What Would You Like To See In FS3?  (Read 21066 times)

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Official: What Would You Like To See In FS3?
"Command" is effectively a communications officer for your fleet feeding you the info from the fleet brass, etc.

Okay, I can live with that. :D

I just prefer slow travel. The larger scale lends to a feeling of adventure and adds that dimension of the forsaken parts of civilization; colonies that are far enough away from the industrialized worlds more or less have to fend for themselves. (This was well-done with Tau Sigma Station in Derilict). Certain lines of work, such as gas mining or long-distance shipping, involve spending days or weeks at a time cooped up in submarine-like conditions without any contact from the outside world. I like when space sci-fi sort of resurrects the feeling of the Age of Exploration, rather than the Age of the Interstate Freeway.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
i would like more 'level' like design.  I.e. use of unique geometry for many missions - such as derelict ship hulls, the burning embers of a vapourised planet, black holes, etc.

FPS' - especially Half Life - have made great progress introducing 'set pieces' which help inform the player what to do, what can be done, and what may lie ahead in terms of the story.  Even though space sims are less 'focused' (i.e. in terms of knowing what the player can see and where they are heading), I think this could definately be used in space sims.

And the other stuff- ships the size of planets, vast attack fleets, massive bombardments, ships exploding and veering away in flames, the whalesong of a dying destroyer as its hull buckles and breaks, the fraught chases & escapes from enemy attacks through massively crowded asteroid belts, explosion that would blot out the sun, watching the hull of a transport buckle under fire as its pilot is screaming for help, looking out the port window and seeing your wignman looking back at you.........

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
I just prefer slow travel. The larger scale lends to a feeling of adventure and adds that dimension of the forsaken parts of civilization; colonies that are far enough away from the industrialized worlds more or less have to fend for themselves. (This was well-done with Tau Sigma Station in Derilict). Certain lines of work, such as gas mining or long-distance shipping, involve spending days or weeks at a time cooped up in submarine-like conditions without any contact from the outside world. I like when space sci-fi sort of resurrects the feeling of the Age of Exploration, rather than the Age of the Interstate Freeway.

I get your point but it's akin to saying that you wish Star Trek had hyperspace exactly like B5. It would completely change the style of the game.

As for certain systems being cut off I solved that problem fairly simply in my own campaign The Mercury Affair. Obviously my stuff is non official but I simply said that Capships and major bases have the tachyon relay systems needed to uplink directly to command. Everyone else has to bounce their signal off of one of those.

In an instant that gives you back cut off back water systems. Miners come in on a transporter that has a jump capable drive. The transportet then leaves the system to get pay elsewhere. The miners are then stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no way to contact the wider universe and no way to get back easily.

And I didn't have to break canon to do it :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Point taken. I guess I wish I could change some things because 99% of Freespace is sheer coolness, and sometimes that makes tweaking more tempting. :D
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline JarC

at the least the same 'feel' and 'physics' as in FS1 and FS2, so no 'newtonian' like manouvring where you end up bouncing like a ping-pong ball around your target...man I still cringe thinking about B5IFH...it lasted about 10 minutes..
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's

Offline Cabbie

Originally posted by JarC
at the least the same 'feel' and 'physics' as in FS1 and FS2, so no 'newtonian' like manouvring where you end up bouncing like a ping-pong ball around your target...man I still cringe thinking about B5IFH...it lasted about 10 minutes..

Agreed or better yet, a choice between the classic FS or newtonian physics. Or at least the limited ability to slide around (horizontal/vertical thrusters?) like what the Shivan ships do in Hard or Insane.

Offline Kie99

Re: Official: What Would You Like To See In FS3?
I want to be able to fly as a SHIVAN!!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 01:46:17 pm by 1934 »
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Either Kalfireth will delete your post or will close this thread.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Cabbie
Agreed or better yet, a choice between the classic FS or newtonian physics. Or at least the limited ability to slide around (horizontal/vertical thrusters?) like what the Shivan ships do in Hard or Insane.

From what I understand that ability is there now. It's just that none of the terran ships can do it. IIRC the terran Mara can though :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Id like to see specialized areas of attack.  I hate blowing up a ship, especially a capital one, by only shooting it with my maxim cannon in a corner of the model that doesnt have any real significance.  For example attacking one of the arms on the Ravana shivan destroyer and that only and having it blow up, it just doesnt make sense. What would be better is if you would have to attack the ship all over, especially in the engine area.  There is were i would expect most of the damage to be done.
=SSC=ADMRL
Shattered Star Confederation
Black Widows Squadron

I want giant shivan bunnies that shoot laser carrots from their eyeballs! Uber! :eek:

What would i like to see in FREESPACE 3? Well, that´s a tough one. For starters, i would like to see it coming out for real!!
:doubt:

Apart from that, i would like:

- Cockpit animations, like Starlancer or better.

- HUGE campaigns, that last for more than a day´s worth of play.

- A greater variety of weapon effects, and a way to synchronize diferent types of guns, so they don´t shoot off pace. Like Freelancer. Torpedoes would be nice.

- Landing in stations, planets.  And maybe doing a bit of trading, to buy better guns and equipment (not essential).

- Hidden features, Easter eggs, lost cargo in space containing some special weapon or something, hidden bases and missions.

- A free travel system, to allow you to explore the various systems, giving the game a bit more depth and replay value. A few independent missions would also be nice, like bounty hunting, exploring, search and rescue, outside of the main campaign.

- Better looking capital ships, with REAL turrets instead of 6 poly cubes with two triangular pseudo-guns sticking out of it.

- A chase-view worthy of that name, so you can see your ship animations, like in Freelancer.

- Choice of blind fire. It´s strange that in a time where you can make huge capital ships and travel in sub space, no one has invented a better computer guiding system to control laser fire...

- Side thrust, giving you the ability to travel sideways. Reverse thrust. And glide, as in turning off your engines, while the ship goes on flying, as it would be in a vacuum zero gravity environment.

- Non linear campaigns, providing the player with various courses of action, and a change in the outcome.

- Shielded capital ships.

- Depart/ lift off animations, and travel to the battle field. Starting the mission already at the site is lame. A good animation, like Starlancer, should give it a great improvement.

- A way to fast go over short to medium distances, again like Starlancer. Small hyperspace jumps, or something.
And Cruise speed, like Freelancer.

- More covert mission flying shivan ships.

- A shivan campaign, and a rebel campaign. Campaigns for every faction, actually.

- More dogfighting!  I love dogfighting!!;7

- Introduction to other ship types, like gunboats, frigates, troop transports, shuttles, civilian cruise liners, dreadnoughts.

I would also like to see the real naval hierarchy respected, where a cruiser is not smaller than a corvet, and a corvet is bigger than a carrier. (never did get why they did it like that). :wtf:
The correct order is, from smaller to bigger:
-fighter
-bomber
-gunboat
-corvet
-frigate
-destroyer
-cruiser
-battleship
-dreadnought
-carrier
-juggernought

I know this because i´m a third generation navy man. My whole family is in the navy (except my mother).
:ick:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 06:38:34 pm by 2050 »
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Cabbie

Originally posted by karajorma

From what I understand that ability is there now. It's just that none of the terran ships can do it. IIRC the terran Mara can though :)

::slaps myself in the forhead when he saw the topic tacked a couple of post back::

Is it possible to add it to the other player ships by editing the ship table files? Also how do you activate it/bind the movement to the keyboard/flightstick? (sorry if this is a n00b question)  :)

=======
- Another feature I want added if there is actually a FS 3 (as mentioned in other boards) a dynamic campaign ala Falcon 4.

- A way to fast go over short to medium distances, again like Starlancer. Small hyperspace jumps, or something.

I second that! :) but that might me intercepting bombers sooo easy...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 07:09:27 pm by 1826 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
To Swamp_Thing:

HOT DAMN! That's what I want! But, you know what, I can make Shivan ships flyable, and I have made a campaign on it. Had a helluva lotta bugs, so I deleted it. G**D*** SH*** M*****F****
Damn Pof editor. :mad2: And no FS3? AAAAGGGGHHHH! *goes raving mad* WTF IWANTFS3ORIWILLKILLYOU!!!!!!!
*pants* I'm calm now... AAGGHH! I really wanted Fs3 but Volition is too dumb to get the property rights or something. Call a wambulance; 'cause I'm sad. :(

Life sucks, doesn't it? But, we have Freespace to keep us relatively happy. :)

[/Edit] Oh yeah, yesterday was my birthday. I got a mountain bike so now I can work off the fat I gained sitting in front of this ******* computer.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 12:00:42 am by 2299 »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Cobra
[/Edit] Oh yeah, yesterday was my birthday. I got a mountain bike so now I can work off the fat I gained sitting in front of this ******* computer.

:lol:
I added this to my quote collection.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by TopAce

:lol:
I added this to my quote collection.

WHAT'S SO FUNNY?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
That sentence is witty(humorous)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
well thank you Cobra for bumping a four month old topic.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You're welcome. Uh, that's a good thing, right?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That was sarcasm.  Don't bump an old topic unless you have a very good reason.  That's why you see a big "Are you sure" screen before the forum lets you post your reply.