Author Topic: LT. A. McCarthey, traitor, or new pilot?  (Read 6647 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: LT. A. McCarthey, traitor, or new pilot?
The revelations you mention could easily have fractured the GTA. It would also be another reason why kids learned about the trials in school. Same as kids today learn about Archduke Ferdinand.

They could even have triggered the GTI rebellion. Regardless of the trial outcome, there were bound to be unhappy terrans.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Rebellion being in part a desperate attempt to take over the GTA before the trial brought their misdeeds to light has a certain ring to it.

I tend to feel that the trials were after the Rebellion itself but that doesn't mean they couldn't have been a cause for them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline admiral_wolf

• Commander of the Orion class Destroyer GTD Galatea
I wouldn't have thought that the GTA would have collected all the evidence and had enough time to analyse it, with most if not all of GTI involved in investigating the Shivan threat, and of course the rogue element designing and building Hades.  After all, there would have presumably been many hours of interogation of not only Alex, but others allied with him, I would even wager that the Interpid's Admiral would have been questioned.  So I'm inclined to agree with karajorma.

And Mr. Lobo, mutiny is a traitorous crime, punishable by death.  Be very wary where you next make port...
I reject your reality and substitute my own, hence my existance on the Galatea!

well, the GTI supposedly had made contact with the shivans years before the GW... and McCarthy knew about the shivans... and he answered to a higher athourity... hmmm....
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I think McCarthy meant the Vasudans when he said, "I answer to a higher authority!"
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
At this point we're mostly into speculation but I tend to think that's what happened too.

Speculation is half the fun. :p

I think McCarthy meant the Vasudans when he said, "I answer to a higher authority!"

Even if McCarthy were defecting to the Vasudans for defecting's sake, I don't think he would refer to the Vasudans as being a 'higher authority'. As far as we know, the Terrans and Vasudans were just as sovereign as each other and neither one of them was part of a bigger interstellar group. Morality or religion, yeah, those could be a higher authority but there's no evidence in FS1 presented that the Vasudans play any kind of religious or moral role in Terran civilization so he'd most likely be referring to something that he considered to be above either if that were the case. ("God told me to steal experimental weapons and take them to naked yellow space aliens" - well, weirder things have happened before, I suppose.)

Or were you thinking of something different?
-C

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
a GTI trap...
It's a TRAP!

The **** I miss when I don't bother to do anything other than click unread replies.

I doubt. I think he thought that the Vasudans would be better able to understand the threat the Shivans represented to both their races.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline LuaPineapple

Blatant GTI prisoner re-programming. It would never happen under your watch sir.
I knew it...
Maybe it's McCarthey's son?
Axem      incoming jump signature
Axem      pineapple configuration
Ace1999  AAAAAAH! It's so sharp and pointy!
Axem      obviously of shivan design

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I always took that to mean that he was working for the good of humanity and therefore the orders of any particular government working against that good had no authority over him.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline admiral_wolf

• Commander of the Orion class Destroyer GTD Galatea
I took it to mean he would not justify himself to a lowly fighter pilot.  After all, after reaching the rank of Commander and possibly Captain, I wouldn't expect those ranks to be on the front line.  That's the sort of level I'd expect to be in command of cruisers.
I reject your reality and substitute my own, hence my existance on the Galatea!

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Weeeell, if you achieved the rank of Captain thru being a flyboy, I'd think you'd be stuck as a flyboy. You just get more people under you.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Weeeell, if you achieved the rank of Captain thru being a flyboy, I'd think you'd be stuck as a flyboy. You just get more people under you.

You'd be reading a book once you reach Admiral rank. :p
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?