Author Topic: Favourite fighter?  (Read 18425 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Was meant to and does; the code allows the Bakha to carry the Helios because it's a valid weapon (it doesn't care that it was only made valid in the primary list instead of the secondary list).

So does that mean that in FRED I can put primaries in secondary slots (and visa versa) and it will still work? As in, can I have 4 primaries (two in secondary slots) and they would all drain my weapons energy? Or would those in the secondary slots have a "missile count"? It would be cool to put bombs in the primaries and shoot a bunch of them like they were primaries...
As General Battuta said:
Nope.

I was speaking purely in terms of how the game checks which weapons are valid for that ship; it still differentiates between which are primaries and which are secondaries.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

The horus 'sideways' profile is irrelevant considering most people are shooting at the top, or slightly less commonly bottom, but almost never, side.

The Perseus is my favourite fighter, but unfortunately outside of dogfighting/intercepting it isn't that useful.
The Erinyes is my go-to dueling fighter assuming people aren't flying lights (or aren't good..), it can also double up as a strategic fighter because it can pack maxim with a bank of trebs, and tempest with prom s / kayser.
The Ares is 'command and control' and should be used as such, it's effectively a more missile based version of the erinyes, top bank maxim, second bank prom s / kayser, tempest / trebs, tends to engage at range to start with, beyond when the AI is interested in dodging if they haven't taken any damage, used to heavily strip things of turrets while killing fighters.

Most ships have their role that they excel at though.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Valrog

The Thoth is my favorite. Its extreme speed and maneuverability, combined with 4 primary weapons makes it a joy to afterburn past someone and then tear them to pieces from behind.

I just wish that it could carry the Maxim, like that stupid Serapis paper plane.

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I'll keep the voting for two more days, then I'll count the votes and declare the winner.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline Vrets

I just wish that it could carry the Maxim, like that stupid Serapis paper plane.

A Thoth packing a Maxim would be pretty helpless against anything with shields, though. The Serapis is a flying coffin, but at least it can be easily flown with the mouse (so responsive).

Offline Valrog

True, the Thoth can only carry the same weapon weapon, so the Maxim would not be recommended. Tempests and wingmen with shield-draining weapons could help cope a little, though, if it could carry the Maxim.

What about the Ulysses? It can pick 2 different weapons, has 4 gun mounts and also has high speed and maneuverability. It can carry the Maxim and Circe. Energy is a problem, but not so much when you're flying close behind the target, which is where you should be in a Ulysses. Admittedly, I've not flown it much, as when you get to fly it in the FS2 campaign, you don't have good primary weapons.

My main dislike of the Serapis is the 2 primary gun points. Sacrificing endurance for speed and maneuverability would be a good trade if it had better firepower.

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
True, the Thoth can only carry the same weapon weapon, so the Maxim would not be recommended. Tempests and wingmen with shield-draining weapons could help cope a little, though, if it could carry the Maxim.

What about the Ulysses? It can pick 2 different weapons, has 4 gun mounts and also has high speed and maneuverability. It can carry the Maxim and Circe. Energy is a problem, but not so much when you're flying close behind the target, which is where you should be in a Ulysses. Admittedly, I've not flown it much, as when you get to fly it in the FS2 campaign, you don't have good primary weapons.

My main dislike of the Serapis is the 2 primary gun points. Sacrificing endurance for speed and maneuverability would be a good trade if it had better firepower.

Gonna have to stop you before you get ahead of yourself. The Ulysses cannot carry the Maxim, and the Maxim/Circe combination is not as good as some people make it out to be. If you want to carry the Maxim in a "light" fighter, your options are the Serapis and the Loki. The Serapis is made of paper mache, and the Loki has very few secondaries. If you really want to take the Maxim, go for something heavier.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Valrog

Gonna have to stop you before you get ahead of yourself. The Ulysses cannot carry the Maxim.

Huh? The Ship guide on this site as well as the Root_fs2.vp show the Maxim as equipable by the Ulysses.

...and the Maxim/Circe combination is not as good as some people make it out to be. If you want to carry the Maxim in a "light" fighter, your options are the Serapis and the Loki. The Serapis is made of paper mache, and the Loki has very few secondaries. If you really want to take the Maxim, go for something heavier.

You're missing the point. The idea of carrying the Maxim is not to be the best dogfighter. It's to be able to destroy cruisers more effectively while in a fighter, while retaining the ability to dogfight.

The Serapis has 4 primary gun points, divided in two weapon banks, same as most fighters. Moreover, it's got a surprisingly good energy reserve for such a light fighter (same as a heavy fighter I believe), meaning that it handles energy-hungry weapons like the Maxim or Prom S quite well.

Offline Valrog

The Serapis has 4 primary gun points, divided in two weapon banks, same as most fighters. Moreover, it's got a surprisingly good energy reserve for such a light fighter (same as a heavy fighter I believe), meaning that it handles energy-hungry weapons like the Maxim or Prom S quite well.

Are you referring to some mod?? The Ship guide and the Root_fs2.vp file list the Serapis as having only 2 primary gun mounts. Firing it also shoots only 2 projectiles...

I think we might have had a vocabulary issue here, I was under the impression that you were saying that the Serapis only had a single 2-gun-point bank, which is obviously not the case.

To clarify :
- Gun banks are the things you choose a weapon for in the loadout menu. They are composed of multiple gun points.
- Gun points are the things that actually fire when you fire with a selected gun bank.

On average, fighters have two gun banks with two gun points each (Perseus, Herc 2, Serapis, Horus, Seth, etc.), but some have a single 4-gun-points bank (Thoth), or a 2-gun-point and a 4-gun-point bank (Ares, Hercules, Tauret, Myrmidon), or two 4-gun-point banks (Erinyes). Shivans also have more exotic configurations.

Offline Valrog

I'll be darned! :blah: I thought the Serapis had lower firepower than most fighters. Forget what I said.  :banghead: Until your post, I used to think that "gun mounts" were the total number of guns, which were then allocated to the primary weapon banks.

I only used the Serapis with "dual" Maxims, so I never knew if it was good at dogfighting. I'll give it another shot.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:17:13 pm by Valrog »

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Its time to declare the winner!

And the winner is................................GTF Erinyes, with 12 votes!
Second place takes.............................GTF Perseus, with 11 votes!
Third place gets...................................GTF Ares, with 3 votes!

If I have made a mistake that you noted, please correct me.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:bump:

Erinyes Wins!!!!

;)

Whoop! !

My favourite.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Kind of disappointed nobody seriously voted for the Athena.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Athena is a bomber.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
In name only.  In reality it's a surprisingly-capable heavy fighter.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I kinda assumed it was an FS2 question, for FS1 Athena would be at the top of my list, and I've got a Lucy and a Hades painted on the side of mine :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Honestly the Ulysses is my favorite. In my opinion it flies like a dream.

Offline Aesaar

Perseus always wins because truth is not a democracy. :p