Author Topic: Insane For Dummies  (Read 5034 times)

Aristeia will forever be a legend in my books. It was so much fun to play even in its earlier stages of development and the fun never stopped once it was finished. I'd say it was better than Delenda Est in terms of exhilarating combat.

What? You didn't expect me to judge missions by how many lines of fiction viewer, briefing, and dialogue it has, did you?
Yeah it's really something, and it has the best mission intro since the opening of vassago's dirge: cinematics, music, text, and finally gameplay all work together. I think I did manage to finish that one on Insane, but it took a... couple of tries (I have to admit however, ken claiming that this is my aristeia becomes a bit unnerving after getting slaughtered by nyxes five times in a row :()

Also re. WiH Insane vs. retail insane, WiH has custom difficulty tables too right? I was under the impression that there's less of a difference between difficulties, so people playing it on Medium expect a huge difficulty spike on Insane, but I don't think that's the case.

Yeah, it's obvious that higher difficulty levels were taken into account when FREDing WiH, the same can't be said for retail. The Roman Blunder, Slaying Ravana, A Game of TAG and a few others get a huge difficulty spike when played on Insane.
I'd urge everyone not to lose precious moments of their lives playing A Game of TAG on any difficulty, let alone Insane. That mission is a trainwreck.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'd urge everyone not to lose precious moments of their lives playing A Game of TAG on any difficulty, let alone Insane. That mission is a trainwreck.

Just need to chime in again - there was a long standing change/bug making A Game of TAG in FSO much harder than the original. It should be back to retail as of 3.7.2; and much easier.
(Now, please continue the hate on having to fly a fighter with dumbfires & widely spaced secondary firepoints :))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Weirdly enough, the mission I had the most trouble with on retail Insane was A Flaming Sword.

The Sicilian Defense  :shaking:
If you decide to fly a bomber that is. If you let the AI take care of blowing stuff up and go for the Perseus it's a walk in the park.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Also re. WiH Insane vs. retail insane, WiH has custom difficulty tables too right? I was under the impression that there's less of a difference between difficulties, so people playing it on Medium expect a huge difficulty spike on Insane, but I don't think that's the case.

I find "My Brother, My Enemy" fairly easy on Medium, but I've never beaten it on Insane. I haven't played many WiH missions on Insane, though.

Command: We are fully aware of your situation, Alpha. We are also aware that thousands of lives on board the Warspite and Lucidity are counting on you.
Me: %@#$!

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Command: We are fully aware of your situation, Alpha. We are also aware that thousands of lives on board the Warspite and Lucidity are counting on you.
Me: %@#$!

* Droid803 was killed by friendly beam fire from Warspite

It's valuable to test on Insane (and Very Easy) because some damage variables change sharply between the difficulties. You can always make yourself invincible in order to test how everything else in the mission works on Insane.

I've long held the opinion that the only variables that should affect mission difficulty are those that directly affect the player, such as weapon and shield regen and damage taken. AI variables should stay static.

I think that's what I did with my Fury AI edit for Dimensional Eclipse, just so that I could lazy out on testing between difficulties if the only differences were the player's magic damage reduction and energy regen. Not sure how well that worked out...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
What do you mean by not sure?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Not sure how well being lazy with not testing different difficulties worked out because of assuming they were "homogenized".
It did save on testing but ended up having a few problems pop up because of it...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================