Author Topic: Volition plays Freespace 2  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Volition plays Freespace 2
Amazing how this hasn't been turned into a thread yet, considering how this has been going around on IRC.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Re: Volition plays Freespace 2
Kind of disappointing that they haven't used FSO and the MVPs.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
that stream was live at the same time as the one for the final stretch of the Overload KS, which IMO was a bit more interesting (I was streaming both, switching between them)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Haha, this is fun. At first it was kind of annoying watching them stumble around in their own game, but then it became kind of endearing as they slowly started to remember stuff while dropping some interesting factoids along the way.

Cool video.

What really hit me watching it was how brutally difficult the game is to get into, even for its time. You get tons of information thrown at you in the HUD and every key of the keyboard has some kind of a function. It was funny when they talked about expecting the player to be able to simultaneously fly the ship and navigate the menus to call in reinforcements (while keeping track of objectives, watching the radar, managing the shields ...). Seeing how FreeSpace is basically a stripped down flight simulator in space, it's not hard to see why it didn't do very well financially.

Kind of disappointing that they haven't used FSO and the MVPs.

I think their point was to play the game in its original state so they could look back and laugh at the poly counts and low res textures, lol

Actually a lot of other space sims used a similar model at the time. Freespace was practically built on Tie Fighter mechanics and I-War upped the command complexity even more. Games like Mechwarrior also had a similar feel and keybind counts. Complexity was definitely not the main reason Freespace failed financially as similarly complex games did very well.
Space sims didn't have the complexity in their flight mechanics that plane sims did so they had more room to add in complexity with targetting, commands, shields, subsystems, and energy mechanics.

It's really not THAT difficult, the tutorial is there if you need it and you can always lower the difficulty if you're being overwhelmed. On the lower difficulties you can safely ignore most mechanics and just focus on the flying. And the early missions are rather tame so you get time to adjust.

[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline CT27

Didn't Wing Commander games have a similar level of complexity?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The reason it didn't sell well has nothing to do with the complexity of the gameplay and everything to do with Interplay not advertising it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
...wow. I've actually lost a lot of respect for these guys for shelving their project for so long they've forgotten everything about it. :( It's like it's not even their game.

I suppose it really drives home the point that, this is our game now.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Hey, it's been 17 long years and they've gone a long way since Freespace 2. I really can't blame them, FS2 isn't even what Volition is best known for nowadays. I bet many of the original mission designers wouldn't even be close in FREDding skill to the best FREDders on HLP right now(using fred2_open, of course).

Though what they played here really was their game, it was completely vanilla.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Not to mention things are a little bit different for developers who get paid to make new things than it is for hobbyist modders who are probably a bit on the obsessive side
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Seriously.  Even if you're fortunate enough to be doing a job you love, would you remember all the details of a project you worked on for several months more than 15 years in the past?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I bet many of the original mission designers wouldn't even be close in FREDding skill to the best FREDders on HLP right now(using fred2_open, of course).

No disrespect to :v: intended but that was true even without SCP additions. By the time the code came out the best FREDders in the community were already beating :v: simply because they had spent more time using FRED than the guys who worked on FS1 and 2.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
While my brain agrees with FrikgFeek, Hades and Mongoose on this. My feelings definitely agree with Galemp.

Seriously.  Even if you're fortunate enough to be doing a job you love, would you remember all the details of a project you worked on for several months more than 15 years in the past?
Some times I get asked WoD questions (like the recent thread about the Celestial texture) of things I've done like 2-3 years ago. Which make me go "Uuuhm, what did I do and think at that time again?" and unlike :v: I haven't worked on like 5 other big projects in the mean time.  :p

No disrespect to :v: intended but that was true even without SCP additions. By the time the code came out the best FREDders in the community were already beating :v: simply because they had spent more time using FRED than the guys who worked on FS1 and 2.
Definitely.
Having replayed FS2 recently through BP's blue version of it, I was reminded  how :v: 's made missions are from a technical standpoint not exactly very... advanced.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Deadlines, and budgets.  Then customer satisfaction.  They won't be very satisfied if the entire FS2 department got the axe, now, would they?  Now get that mission finished before noon so the playtesters can finish by tonight.  Chop, chop!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't think it was just deadlines though. FREDders quickly saw how everything :v: did worked and improved on it. By the time the source code was released people who started on FRED 1 had more than 4 years of experience working with it. There is simply no way :v: can compete with that kind of experience, none of their FREDders could possibly have spent as long working with it.

Like I said, I don't imply any disrespect to the :v: FREDders. They did a pretty amazing job putting the missions together but they never had the time to do more than scratch the surface of what was possible.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Snarks

Regardless of their FREDing skills, I appreciate the work and effort they put into Freespace 2. The fact that Jim Boone requested Freespace 2 for his last streaming session is indicative of how fondly the developers remembered their work. That said, it really doesn't seem like they care too much about the FS2O. I suppose they feel that FS2O isn't their own work anymore. Of the folks on the stream, it seems like Dan Wentz might be the only dev who gave FS2O a shot.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Definitely.
Having replayed FS2 recently through BP's blue version of it, I was reminded  how :v: 's made missions are from a technical standpoint not exactly very... advanced.

That they are "technically primitive" doesn't diminish that they are still somewhat impressive ....

technical sophistication on the reverse however diminishes the impact - It is hard to have the same kind of awe and respect for Blue Planet knowing how much additional gears are turning in the background and how much had to be done for this and that to work just so....
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Deadlines, and budgets.  Then customer satisfaction.

Don't forget that they also had to build FRED/FRED2. So they had to plan out these missions before they knew what FRED(2) could/would do. Sure, they probably had early versions to test out the missions, but they were probably buggy and didn't have all the features the final versions did.

That they are "technically primitive" doesn't diminish that they are still somewhat impressive ....

technical sophistication on the reverse however diminishes the impact - It is hard to have the same kind of awe and respect for Blue Planet knowing how much additional gears are turning in the background and how much had to be done for this and that to work just so....

Actually, Blue Planet relies much more on brilliant FREDding than just the pure power of fred2_open.