Author Topic: Volition plays Freespace 2  (Read 6973 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Volition plays Freespace 2
The two go hand in hand, I think.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Regardless of their FREDing skills, I appreciate the work and effort they put into Freespace 2.

I don't think any of us would be here if we didn't. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I'm not at all critical of their FREDding skills as they may apply today. I'm upset that they forgot how to play the game entirely.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

To be fair, the game's not exactly meant to be played on a couch using a gamepad with a keyboard nearby :P.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
To be fair, the game's not exactly meant to be played on a couch using a gamepad with a keyboard nearby :P.

QFT

Yeah, that Prom R- Prom R loadout gave me cancer. Might also explain why insane was all over the place in retail, nobody at Volition ever played it  :lol:
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I definitely doubt they did much playtesting on Insane.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Yeah, or if they did they decided to ignore it as it was too much trouble to tweak missions to work on insane. The difficulty curve is pretty much inverse, with the Myrm missions being harder than endgame missions and some missions being completely self-playing due to the beam refire rates.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

I get it all, but this was still a downer for me to watch.
Some things are best left to the imagination.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Honestly, I'd like to see any of you behind the wheel of a motor vehicle after a 15+ year absence.  :p  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say even when they were actively developing FS2, they didn't get much playtime in.  Coding != playing, although I'm sure they did do that to some extent.  Now their playtesters, on the other hand...

At 1:04:35, I love how they mention that in meetings they often put "FreeSpace 3" as a bullet point as a joke, and that there was a "magic" about this that they rarely see in their other projects.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I watched some of this last night, along with the Descent video. It's pretty hilarious how they don't remember the most basic things in their own games. :D I can sympathize with them though, they have worked on numerous other games in the meantime and have long since moved on. It's common knowledge that game developers today hardly ever play their own games.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*whispers* Alt-H... Alt-H... Alt-H...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

What was the command that made those two guys popup from the corner's of the screen?

Offline Snarks

What was the command that made those two guys popup from the corner's of the screen?

Enable cheats with:  www.freespace2.com

Fun times with: tooledworkedowned

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I watched some of this last night, along with the Descent video. It's pretty hilarious how they don't remember the most basic things in their own games. :D

And yet they did remember the cheat codes!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]