Author Topic: Freespace 1 question  (Read 1759 times)

Freespace 1 question
So I'm just finishing up the Freespace 1 campaign.  I see in my campaign list (with the freespace 1 mod loaded) that I have Operation Templar and Silent Threat.

1.  Which one of these should I play first?

2. I know there's a Silent Threat: Reborn mod, is the one in that list that mod? I know when I used the Freespace Open Installer that I had Silent Threat: Reborn checked, and it did download, I'm just not sure if the one in that list is the "Reborn" version, as it doesn't say..

Thanks!

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Silent Threat is the original  :v-old:'s expansion pack, it takes place shortly after the events of FS1 campaign, and Operation Templar is another mini-campaign that takes place (if I am correct) after Silent Threat. I'd suggest you to play ST first and OT after.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Silent Threat is the original  :v-old:'s expansion pack, it takes place shortly after the events of FS1 campaign, and Operation Templar is another mini-campaign that takes place (if I am correct) after Silent Threat. I'd suggest you to play ST first and OT after.

Sweet thanks!

Is the one listed in that campaign list the Reborn version?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
No. Don't bother with the original Silent Threat, just play Reborn. You may need to install it and select it in the launcher if you don't have it already.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I recommend you play both the original and Reborn... just so you can see how much the original sucked and how awesome the ST:R team really is.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I find that the Silent Threat:Reborn campaign is generally too difficult.  Maybe I'm just really horrible??  I enjoy the story aspect of the game and the shoot-em-up activities, scanning, disabling, etc.  That stuff I don't mind.  But I shouldn't be failing missions on "very easy".   One thing I don't enjoy doing is having to micro-manage all of the other wings. I'd rather they just do what they're supposed to do by default.  Giving an order here and there a couple times a mission is fine but at this point I'm stumped (Chasing Shadows) and I don't really have the desire to even try to finish this campaign. It's just too frustrating.   I'm hoping the other extra campaigns aren't as difficult.

Offline Luis Dias

Oh you're in for a treat. Practice a bit till you play War in Heaven :D

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I find that the Silent Threat:Reborn campaign is generally too difficult.  Maybe I'm just really horrible??  I enjoy the story aspect of the game and the shoot-em-up activities, scanning, disabling, etc.  That stuff I don't mind.  But I shouldn't be failing missions on "very easy".   One thing I don't enjoy doing is having to micro-manage all of the other wings. I'd rather they just do what they're supposed to do by default.  Giving an order here and there a couple times a mission is fine but at this point I'm stumped (Chasing Shadows) and I don't really have the desire to even try to finish this campaign. It's just too frustrating.   I'm hoping the other extra campaigns aren't as difficult.

ST:R was purposely designed to be more difficult than either FS1 or FS2; this sort of thing tends to happen when people who are veteran pilots design campaigns.  (Other campaigns, including WiH as Luis Dias said, are even more challenging.)  Be advised that (counterintuitively) your wingmen can be too incompetent on Very Easy, so try bumping up to Easy.

For Chasing Shadows in particular, do note that it is not necessary to prevent every single GTI ship from running the blockade.  That objective was meant to be extremely difficult, due to the chaotic nature of the situation, and as a result is not required to continue the campaign.  The only objective required is to protect the PVD Hope.  Prioritize the Medusa bombers carrying Serkrs because those are the biggest threat.

Offline -Norbert-

Ah, I still fondly remember the moment when I went back to the FS2 campaign after playing BP and WiH and wondering if it had always been this laughably easy.

Or playing FS2 after Wings of Dawn and feeling like I was playing the game in slow motion. ^^

Nostalgia aside, I suggest you give ST:R another try (or several if necessary). It's worth it and good training for other great mods and campaigns.

Regarding Operation Templar, that one was originally a multiplayer coop mini-campaign in the original FS2 in case you're interested in such Trivia.