Author Topic: [Solved] How to mod existing missions in TBP?.  (Read 4683 times)

Offline emark4

[Solved] How to mod existing missions in TBP?.
I'm trying to mod the star fury pilot mission severed dreams (thanks to the zathras mod) and all I did is just change the player ship from auroras to thunderbolts. Then Fred keeps showing errors for some reason so I ended up quitting the program. I was doing all this within the zathras mod. Does anyone know the proper way to edit existing missions in TBP?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:30:02 am by emark4 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: How to mod existing missions in TBP?.
Sounds like you did the correct thing. What errors did you get?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline emark4

Sounds like you did the correct thing. What errors did you get?

The errors seem to indicate I am "missing" stuff. I can try to get the debug info if you like when I get back.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sure. There's no correct way to edit a mission beyond getting the mission file and editing it in FRED so it doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong (unless you've missed out a -mod flag. Debug logs will help with that).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline emark4

Sure. There's no correct way to edit a mission beyond getting the mission file and editing it in FRED so it doesn't sound like you've done anything wrong (unless you've missed out a -mod flag. Debug logs will help with that).
Here is what I got when saving in FRED for TBP

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline wesp5

Did you use my "Babylon 5 - Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch" version as a base (http://www.moddb.com/mods/babylon-5-star-fury-pilot-unofficial-patch)? Because I fixed a lot of issues in these missions to make them work with Zathras 2.8 and FSO engine build 3.7.0! BTW, I just edited the text files to do this :)...

Offline emark4

Did you use my "Babylon 5 - Star Fury Pilot Unofficial Patch" version as a base (http://www.moddb.com/mods/babylon-5-star-fury-pilot-unofficial-patch)? Because I fixed a lot of issues in these missions to make them work with Zathras 2.8 and FSO engine build 3.7.0! BTW, I just edited the text files to do this :)...

I think I did already, not sure what's going on when saving the freded mission.

Offline wesp5

Your errors look as if the game stumbles over lines that are commented out in my version (being preceeded by ;;). Are they still normal in your file?

Offline emark4

Your errors look as if the game stumbles over lines that are commented out in my version (being preceeded by ;;). Are they still normal in your file?

What do you mean? Like what exactly should I do? Does your patch have an alternative version of the severed dreams mission?

Offline wesp5

What do you mean? Like what exactly should I do? Does your patch have an alternative version of the severed dreams mission?

You can open the fs2 file you edited before and after FRED with any text editor and search for the strings in the error messages.
And yes, my patch fixed many issues in almost all of Shaun Williams original Babylon 5 Starfury pilot missions!

Offline emark4

You can open the fs2 file you edited before and after FRED with any text editor and search for the strings in the error messages.
And yes, my patch fixed many issues in almost all of Shaun Williams original Babylon 5 Starfury pilot missions!
When I go into the text editor and find the strings, do I just delete them or do I do something else?

Offline wesp5

When I go into the text editor and find the strings, do I just delete them or do I do something else?

Better just comment them out by adding ;; in front...

Offline emark4

Better just comment them out by adding ;; in front...

Looks like the text editor route works for what I intended to do. I decided to change the player ship to the thunderbolt via the text editor and it works. Thanks for the notepad tip!