Author Topic: RELEASE: WCIV Tech Demo  (Read 7715 times)

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
RELEASE: WCIV Tech Demo
Wing Commander IV Demo

The war between the alien Kilrathi Empire and the Terran Confederation has been over for several years. Confed is attempting to stabilize its economy and social structure. The Kilrathi survivors, now led by Melek nar Kiranka, retainer to the late Prince Thrakhath, are having greater problems than they had during the war, since their racial and societal makeup revolves around hunting and killing. Tension between the Confederation and the Union of Border Worlds has deepened, most recently with an attack on an unarmed medical transport.

The WC Saga team created this demo  of a few Wing Commander IV missions in the FSO engine to help promote their mod back in 2007.  It is still a fun little mod, so here it is refreshed for use with the FSO build of WC Saga!

IMPORTANT NOTE
This campaign uses the older style of waypoint navigation in which one first selects the waypoint with ALT-N and then ALT-A to activate the autopilot

1) INSTALLATION

[DOWNLOAD] - Use Knossos:

Click below to get started. The latest revision is 1.0.1.

2) CREDITS

WCSaga team - Original concept and campaign
Admiral Nelson - Patch to standard FSO as documented below
FrikgFeek - Testing
Nyctaeus - Durango model cleanup and shield mesh creation

3) CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE

Conversion to standard FSO
Additional intro video
Minor FRED bugfixes
Spelling fixes
Moved to autopilot takeoff and landings instead of player controlled as in WC3
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:23:45 pm by Admiral Nelson »
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Re: RELEASE: WCIV Tech Demo
Nice.
I've wanted to see these missions ported over to the full-version of WCS for a long time now. :)

By the way: DefianceIndustries has rebuilt almost all Confed, Border Worlds and Black Lance assets from WC4 for use in "Flag Commander" and other projects.
Perhabs his models could be converted for FSO if he's ok with that. :)

https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/defiances-eyecandy-thread.27888/
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71822.0

Would like to see Starmans Models in this mod. The ships are Saga ready but was not textured :/ I don't know if he is still around here.
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
Thx to FekLeyrTarg he still have the files Starman send me.

It is the
Banshee
Vindicator
Avenger
Intrepid
the Kilrathi fighter
and the Tarawa.

All CoB files and not textured. I don't know if someone could finish the models for me and sure could use it for this mod. The Models also need first UV Mapping what I heard is the hardest challenge.
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
All you need is scooby do stuff.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
Thats it. Starman uses Scooby Stuff to build the ships.

I still hoping for a Saga Style Exeter and Waterloo :(
Star Citizen No. 250

First post reads "36 GB"! It may frighten some of us...

Offline Admiral Nelson

Oops. Fixed.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Alternatively,
* Extract the "hermes_core.7z" file to your freespace folder.

Do you mean WCIV Core Files?

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I was unable to download the Movie Files on Knossos. Maybe this is caused by the write-protection of the Movie VP. Had to download and to add it in the Knossos folder manually.

Actually, i never heard from this Demo before and so played through it.

The movies were very irritating, because sometime both choices are played which make them hard to follow. Actually i only know what happen here, because i watched the original movie a few years back (because of its lazy mission design and op player ship at the later part of the game WCIV never qualifies as a real game IMO).

Because you play the same missions, it was a not very good campaign in mission design  :D.

But it was interesting nevertheless. The nebula missions were fun finally thanks to the FS2 Engine. Also i liked the detail, that you are finally able to win the game if you stick yourself to the confederation.

Except from all the things that were carried over. I think the ship computer voice files should be normalized to be much louder. Actually i can only barely hear it...
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Admiral Nelson

I was unable to download the Movie Files on Knossos. Maybe this is caused by the write-protection of the Movie VP. Had to download and to add it in the Knossos folder manually.

That's curious.  I've asked on discord if anyone can reproduce.

The movies were very irritating, because sometime both choices are played which make them hard to follow. Actually i only know what happen here, because i watched the original movie a few years back (because of its lazy mission design and op player ship at the later part of the game WCIV never qualifies as a real game IMO).

Because you play the same missions, it was a not very good campaign in mission design  :D.

I suppose WCIV is pretty old -- a year older than FS1.  I never played either WCIII or WCIV back in the day as I thought them just interactive movies -- looks as if I was right! :)

Even Saga suffered from the OP fighter at the end; it seems to be a characteristic of WC games.

But it was interesting nevertheless. The nebula missions were fun finally thanks to the FS2 Engine. Also i liked the detail, that you are finally able to win the game if you stick yourself to the confederation.

Yes I thought this a nice touch as well.

Except from all the things that were carried over. I think the ship computer voice files should be normalized to be much louder. Actually i can only barely hear it...

I'll have a look....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:07:45 am by Admiral Nelson »

The demo was made for the WCSaga prologue demo release from 2008. :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
Wing Commander 4 was released 9.Feb. 1996. More then 2 years before Freespace 1 ;)
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline johnney351

• bring'em on!
Thank for this !

Just played and finished the Demo, good memories of one of my favorite games, remember when I got the CD version in 1996, think it was 6 cd's back then and later on a DVD version was released.

really cool, looks fantastic with the in game speech, all perfect !
Cheers
John

Offline Admiral Nelson

I'm glad that you enjoyed it. :)