Author Topic: Starcraft 2 Legacy of the Void Info released  (Read 11672 times)

Offline wistler

Re: Starcraft 2 Legacy of the Void Info released
I think I preferred GC2 gameplay for the fact you could call in fresh troops which made the game less about trying to keep every unit alive and freed up the fun.
Could have done without the aliens though.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
It is hard to find any RTS/RTT game that makes you care for the characters or the setting. There is a huge disconnection caused by the way the gameplay is done: "They blew up that factory with all the workers inside? No problem! Just queue up another one."

The gameplay & the story must work together to make us want to care. RTS/RTTs are bad at this simply because of their mechanics, or at least their execution is not well done.

Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance - Cybran Nation FTW!

Universe at War: Earth Assault; though here the Hirarchy campaign only (others were really meh, and the game balance is really off sometimes)

It is hard to find any RTS/RTT game that makes you care for the characters or the setting. There is a huge disconnection caused by the way the gameplay is done: "They blew up that factory with all the workers inside? No problem! Just queue up another one."

The gameplay & the story must work together to make us want to care. RTS/RTTs are bad at this simply because of their mechanics, or at least their execution is not well done.

Homeworld, Ground Control 2, MechCommander, XCOM

+1

Second everything Batts said about GC/GC2

They are exceptions over the rule. You get that, right? 4‱

The 'rule' is wrong; there are no structural impediments to an RTS making you care about its characters or story. In fact they're ripe for the kind of emergent narrative that really gets people attached to their units. The problem is simply that most designers don't leverage this space.

+1

I think I preferred GC2 gameplay for the fact you could call in fresh troops which made the game less about trying to keep every unit alive and freed up the fun.

I have the opposite reaction ... Leveling up my Hoverdynes and keeping them alive really added depth to the gameplay I found lacking in GC2 (and keeping units alive wasn't that hard 'cause as soon as got artiellery you simply shell the sh*t out of anything that could be an enemy position in advance and then roll ini)

Also: No mention of dawn of war? Speess Mariness!

SI ND RI !!
And that's about it you can like about DoW1/DoW2/DoW2:Ret (and that from a WH40k fan)

DoW2:Chaos Rising was very good though ... however it is more RPG'ish than RTS'ish
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:37:43 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Nanuchka III Glint o7 o7 o7

One of the happiest memories I have of gaming in general was finally finding a way to save the USS Thorn in Fortress Keflavik.

o7 to the SH-60s. It took two years, but we got that damn Victor III first.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Kharak is burning...
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Care like 'yo, this cloned-cannon-fodder-slave-soldiers **** is a really really bad idea', or care like 'I can't lose Naj-Zero cause he's the bestest cybrid slaying superman ever, i'ma gonna throw the rest of them at that Nihilus so he doesn't die?'

Er, the second one. Even though the first thing is true, they're still your dudes, you get a little attached.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Out of genuine curiosity though, who here is actually considering the purchase of this game and why do they?

Eh, no multiplayer changes? A more rapid release? I think I might pass on this one unless they drop the price to something like $15.

RTS games can have good stories. I think WIC is a good example. I genuinely cared for that story, regardless of how believable a russian invasion was, it was really well executed. Even the soviet assault expansion was good, and in some ways it was better.

I also liked company of heroes. When you're out of ideas for a story, history is usually a good place to find one. I am really anticipating the release of COH2. I think it will be good. 
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I rather enjoyed the story of Age of Mythology myself.  It was basically a big goofy crossover fanfic of Greek, Egyptian, and Norse mythology.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
When you're out of ideas for a story, history is usually a good place to find one.

If you enjoy getting yourself caught in a web of bias, favourism, chauvinism and authenticity debates, then yes.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
When you're out of ideas for a story, history is usually a good place to find one.

If you enjoy getting yourself caught in a web of bias, favourism, chauvinism and authenticity debates, then yes.

I didn't say it had to be true.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.